Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Hero8 - Do I need a red filter for snorkelling

I am brand new to GoPro and underwater videoing.  i am finding conflicting advice as to whether this particular camera needs a red filter or not to improve picture quality.  If so can anyone recommend a product which doesnt require purchasing a Protective Housing Case.  Will not be going greater than 4-5 metres deep.  Many thanks 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero8 - Do I need a red filter for snorkelling

@seanf-1, the HERO8 Black provides great improvement to the overall color saturation, contrast detail, and image clarity of the camera. You can still use filters to further enhance the image quality of your underwater footage. 

As far as I know, red filters are ideal for blue saltwater and clear freshwater diving, and will only be effective between depths of 15’ – 70’.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero8 - Do I need a red filter for snorkelling

@seanf-1, the HERO8 Black provides great improvement to the overall color saturation, contrast detail, and image clarity of the camera. You can still use filters to further enhance the image quality of your underwater footage. 

As far as I know, red filters are ideal for blue saltwater and clear freshwater diving, and will only be effective between depths of 15’ – 70’.