Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero8 Black unresponsive until battery removed.

[ New ]

This has happened to me at least twice now on different occassions. Hero8 Black is using the latest 2.01 firmware.

I wear a the Hero8 Black mounted to a hat for recording a competition activity.  I have QuickCapture enabled so I can just reach up and hit the record button to power on and start recording and then reach up and stop and turn it off. I have to start recording just prior to the start of the activity and only have one chance...I have to hit the record button and go.

At least twice now just prior to the start of the activity I've pressed the button and no beep sounds to alert me that the recording has started and I've missed recording the activity. This occurred after I had already done several other QuickCapture recordings that worked fine and the camera had not be otherwise touched.

The first time, after my run I looked at the camera and the red light on the front was solid red. The LCD's were dark. Pressing the record or power buttons did nothing. I had to remove the battery and reinsert it for the camera to power up again.

The second time was on a different occassion, I hit the record button and nothing happened. After my run I looked at the camera and it was dark. No led and no LCD screens. Record and power buttons did nothing. I had to remove the battery and reinsert and then the camera started up and worked. This again happened after several other successful recordings.

Is this a common problem? Is there a solution to resolve this to make this camera more reliable?

GoPro

Re: Hero8 Black unresponsive until battery removed.

[ New ]

Hello, @ejpontius. Is this always the case with your camera? Does it matter which mode is used prior to the camera becoming unresponsive? 

Have you been able to update the camera to the latest firmware? If you have, perform a factory reset as well. This will help clear any possible error with the currently installed firmware.

If these do not resolve the issue, please let our Support team know. They will help you with the next steps. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request.

Tourist

[ New ]

It's only happened twice on two different ocassions separated by weeks. In both cases, it occurred after several other recordings had already taken place. I only use the video mode and the same settings for the recordings.

The firmware is the latest.

A factory reset seems harsh. Does not speak highly of the product if the update process results in new problems.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Same problem!! How can I fix it?
Tourist

[ New ]

Couldn't tell you. I've done a factory reset and had to go through setting the camera up again and re-doing my preferences.

I'm not overly confident that it will resolve anything.

My issue is fairly intermittent and I haven't been able to deliberately reproduce it.

My guess is that it is issues in the firmware that haven't yet been addressed. From the looks of other posts, the Hero9 has problems as well.

Tourist

[ New ]

This is still happening intermittently, even after updating to the latest firmware and doing a factory reset. It happened to me twice during an event yesterday, causing me to miss recording portions. Taking the battery out and putting it back in gets it back from being a brick.

I wear the gopro on a hat which for safety reasons during the event I can't take off to check the camera each time. I use Quickcapture with the idea that I can quickly start/stop recording. This is what I did with the old GoPro Hero Session quite reliably.

I was able to just now reproduce this by pressing the shutter button to start quickcapture and record for a few seconds and then stop again. Did this a couple of times in a row and the camera became unresponsive. The front LCD and rear screen are off and the red light on the front is lit. See attached.

The fact that this is very intermittent is very worrisome. 

GoPro_Hero9_unresponsive.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @ejpontius

Let our Support Team check on this further.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej