Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero8 Black cable plug wanky - not charging nor connecting as webcam

[ New ]

Hello:

Brand new Hero8 Blck - used just once a few weeks ago outdoors then put it aside - picked it up to use a webcam and nothing. The USB-B C plug (electrical+external mic.) has a lot of play... So most likely a bad connection. (Not recognized by the GoPro desktop software I downloaded.)

Has anyone experienced that. I will have to connect with support yet very close to 30 days...

Not too happy with a brand new cam not working... (Let alone the issue with overheating...) Will have to buy an external webcam meanwhile most likely.

GoPro

Re: Hero8 Black cable plug wanky - not charging nor connecting as webcam

[ New ]

Hello, @carouyer-web. Which computer are you using and which OS is it on? For the camera to be recognized by your computer for importing of files, make sure that your camera is in MTP mode. To do this, go to Preferences, then Connections, then USB Connection, then MTP. This should allow the transfer of media from the camera to your computer.

When using the camera as a webcam, the USB Connection should be set to GoPro Connect prior to connecting the camera to the computer. The webcam function works with Mac OS 10.14 or newer and Windows 10. 

Sightseer

[ New ]
Hello - thk u for extra info except that: as i wrote the cam is NO longer even charging.... most likely bk the female plug on the camera is defective (ie wanky that is it is moving sideways....)
Have u come across this issue before?

As to the settings prior to usb connection to compiyer, maybe update the GoPro support web instructions :)

longstory short: it looks like a « hardware » defect not a settings issue...
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @carouyer

Let our Support Team check on this further.

Please submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello - I actually tried today.... it was closed today Friday - probably due to the US Thanks Giving.

Very frustrating for an international company - with call centres in the Philippines....?

I am over the 30 days after purchase - very frustrating experience to say the least...

WIll have to reconnect - yet again - on Monday.