Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Hero7black ...some issues i have

[ Edited ]

My hero7Black, is just 2 days old with the firmware updated on day one.

Issue1:

Whenever i start my camera, the screen starts up rightaway showing clearly what the camera lens sees. But the onscreen clickable buttons only appear after a few milliseconds. Finding this lag a bit annoying, though not a deal breaker.

Issue2:

The screen rotate function when the camera is rotated is a bit laggy.

Issue3:

Yesterday night when i charged my camera 100%. I started my camera only to find the screen to start with wonky display with crazy pixels showing here and there. Felt as if the camra was hanged.

Issue4:

The battery drains even if the camera is shut off.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero7black ...some issues i have

"Should" be OK. I actually just purchased two for my brother-in-law and son for the HERO7 Black cameras I'm getting them. I've personally never used them, but I have used the Samsung Pro and Pro+. The new Evo Plus/Select cards appear to be the same specs, so I trust that they will be fine I think Samsung dropped the "Pro" line and have just renamed them Evo Plus/Select (not to be confused with the old Evo+ which you should not use).

Personally, I only use 32GB and 64GB cards as there seems to be a higher failure rate in the larger cards. 64GB almost always outlast the battery and since I never store media on the card for longer than the shoot, have a larger capacity card doesn't give me much value. When I vacation I just bring a few cards. Added benefit of this is if I do have a card that gives me issues, I have another I can quickly switch to.

Just FYI: The Evo Plus and Evo Select are the same card, it's just the Select is re-branded for Amazon.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Thanks for posting. While I'm sure there will be future updates that will most likely address some of these issues, it's always good to get feedback for other members. A good place to submit these is on the GoPro feedback form https://gopro.com/feedback

As far as what you posted and my personal thoughts:

#1, this has always been the case since HERO5 & HERO6 so I don't see this changing much.

#2 Probably will get addressed in future updates. Reviews say the auto rotation is better on the HERO7 than HERO5/6 so it seems they are addressing this.

#3 Camera might need a reset. Hopefully this won't be a common occurrence. Probably will get addressed in future updates, especially if it's a common problem.

#4 Could be your connections. Bluetooth stays on for eight hours after the camera is turned off. Other possibility, which could also be related to #2 & #3 is your SD card. SD cards have been known to cause the camera to have lag and also battery drain (the camera scans the card at start up and shut down and also when inserted).

Make sure your card is on this list https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Periodically format (FULL not quick) your card in your computer and then again in the camera.

Also, running a MANUAL update of the firmware is usually a good idea https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black
Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for the reply...

Theis is the SD card i purchased to go with the Gopro 7black

but its not in list...seems i am stuck with it now  :(

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B073JYC4XM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Highlighted
Adventurer

Ultra ultra ultra no more comment. why do we use Ultras? to get the troubles that no oneelse has.  So lets take out the sd card first and try some of the above things again.   We do not have our H7 in hand , any day now, and I am sure WE won't have the troubles everyone is having because we take hte time to learn our camera.  so it is not an issue if it drains its somethin US users do. simply  start turning things on and not knowing what we hit.  

Hope My Humble opinonion made sense.     If you never owned a gopro I start calling gopro and work on one trouble at the time

start with the card. get a 4K U3 UH-1 if a 128gb is required go to the gopro recommended list I do not have the link as I type but visit the site for that info

Highlighted
Explorer

@shomit
Unfortunately you are using what has historically been known as the worst SD card for a GoPro camera. I hope that you are able to get a recommended card soon as I'm sure you want to be enjoying your camera to the fullest.

Feel free to come here with any questions or concerns you might have. We were all new to GoPro once and even when following the user manual, it can be confusing, or at least overwhelming. I totally get why you would have purchased the Ultra. SanDisk and stores promote them as if they are great cards and you can get a lot of storage for the money. For best performance, stock to the list and use 64GB cards.
Highlighted
Hiker

@danielr15..thanks for the input, in that case the card is definitely the main cause for the battery drain....will go ahead and buy a better card in coming festive season.

Yes, the marketting was so overwhelming that i believed in that its the best i may be doing for my gopro.

Highlighted
Hiker

Highlighted
Explorer

"Should" be OK. I actually just purchased two for my brother-in-law and son for the HERO7 Black cameras I'm getting them. I've personally never used them, but I have used the Samsung Pro and Pro+. The new Evo Plus/Select cards appear to be the same specs, so I trust that they will be fine I think Samsung dropped the "Pro" line and have just renamed them Evo Plus/Select (not to be confused with the old Evo+ which you should not use).

Personally, I only use 32GB and 64GB cards as there seems to be a higher failure rate in the larger cards. 64GB almost always outlast the battery and since I never store media on the card for longer than the shoot, have a larger capacity card doesn't give me much value. When I vacation I just bring a few cards. Added benefit of this is if I do have a card that gives me issues, I have another I can quickly switch to.

Just FYI: The Evo Plus and Evo Select are the same card, it's just the Select is re-branded for Amazon.