Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Hero7 left turned on while charging desktop

[ Edited ]

Afternoon,

Left my camera turned on (touchscreen and lcd )  for about 20-30mins while connected to desktop accidentally. I was not aware enough....

Well after that ~30 mins when i realized it was a bit hot... and the lcd looked a bit coloured. ( as any lcd display react to higher tempreatures.) It was not black, rainbowish in the corners. 

After that the camera freezed. Got the battery out and replaced... works fine but my question is can it suffered any harm ? i mean the camera.... i dont care about the battery but the camera cuz of the temperature.

Thanks ! (yes OEM GoPro cabel in USB3.0 port)

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero7 left turned on while charging desktop

I understand concern, @msupercharged. I would definitely feel the same way towards my GoPro cameras.

If your HERO7 Black is currently frozen, you can try removing the battery to hard reset the camera.

Freezing issue in a camera is usually an indicator the camera's software needs to be updated or there is potentially an issue with the microSD being used. Try removing the SD card and see if the camera still freezes up. If it no longer freezes, then the issue is likely stemming from the SD card. You can get the full list of microSD cards that are known to work well with GoPro cameras here.

In addition to this, it is recommended to leave the camera powered off when connected to the charger.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Rainbowish lcd screen sloved as > my dekstops monitro light just broke on the dispaly thats why i saw it rainbowish.

Well another bug > when i want to change the mode and starting rolling in the available choices the black background disappear.(about the descriptions of the mode) Well i think a software update can slove it. ( as u see on the attached picture )

IMG_20190427_183313.jpgIMG_20190427_183359.jpg

Highlighted
GoPro

@msupercharged, the background display shouldn't turn completely black as you scroll through the option. You may try manually reinstalling the firmware update of the camera. This can help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified on this article: Software Update Instructions for HERO7 Cameras

Hopefully this helps.

Ann

Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you, as i a few watched youtube videos i recognized that everyone elses hero7 are behaving the same....

And what bout my first question ? touch screen and lcd turned on and camera heated up and freezed while charged in dekstop ? 
Can it cause any serious damage ? Maybe i am speculating but if it freezed as i got a black screen and not reacting any buttons it can not turn off itself because of freezed... meanwhile the software can not defend the camera against damage by the heat.... i guess it can not turn off itself if the software freezed?!?!????!

Well its a bit overreacting, i know... hard to believe of fry the processor and SOC meanwhile charging from desktop while turned on.
Sorry just worrying for my camera.

Highlighted
GoPro

I understand concern, @msupercharged. I would definitely feel the same way towards my GoPro cameras.

If your HERO7 Black is currently frozen, you can try removing the battery to hard reset the camera.

Freezing issue in a camera is usually an indicator the camera's software needs to be updated or there is potentially an issue with the microSD being used. Try removing the SD card and see if the camera still freezes up. If it no longer freezes, then the issue is likely stemming from the SD card. You can get the full list of microSD cards that are known to work well with GoPro cameras here.

In addition to this, it is recommended to leave the camera powered off when connected to the charger.