Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero7 Direct to PC Streaming, no Internet

[ New ]

Is there a way to get the direct URL for streaming from the Hero7 camera?

I understand it creates a WiFi hot spot. I have attached to that via a laptop, and would like to know the WiFi URL to attach to, to get live streaming, like a webcam.

With the App, it mentions streaming, but it also looks like this requires the Internet. We are in a location without Internet access, so need the URL directly to the camera via the WiFi hotspot it sets up.

When a PC connects to the Hero7, the IP address is 10.5.5.9

I would expect some URL like http://10.5.5.9/streaming or something.

Anyone have any ideas? This worked with older GoPro's apparently.

== John ==

Nomad

Re: Hero7 Direct to PC Streaming, no Internet

[ New ]

This barely worked with older GoPro's and all it would stream was the LRV (low resolution video file), plus the range was extremely limited.  The App and "Streaming" refers to the Android or IOS app, not the windows app.  It's usually only for framing your shot.

If you use the HDMI out on the camera and a HDMI capture card on your laptop/pc then at least you'll get a full 1080P signal.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the input. Frustrating.

We're trying to do Wireless, so a cable to a PC is out. The GoPro will be on a rotating arm. 

Any suggestions for alternate equipment?

== John ==

Nomad

[ New ]

Sure, you can always see if you can get your hands on a Hero cast module and a GoPro Hero 4

https://gopro.com/news/herocast-puts-viewers-in-the-action-of-live-events

There may be other solutions out there that will work with a newer Hero Model (such as the Hero 7) however since these utilize the HDMI port the highest resolution you will get will be 1080P.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks

For that cost, and all the dangly bits, I could just build a Raspberry Pi GStreaming module with WiFi and one of those 'car battery starter' Lithium power packs. It only has to broadcast ten or twenty feet, well within WiFi range.

I honestly don't get it ... the camera has WiFi, you woudl think if it streams to the app, we could get the streaming URL.

I'm surprised no one's hacked via WireShark the WiFi protocol the app uses.

== John ==