Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero7 Black won’t format SD card

Purchased 2 Samsung 128GB U3 Evo Select cards from Amazon (seller was Amazon too).  These are MB-ME128GA/AM and are on the list of compatible SD cards for the Hero7 Black.

Putting each of these cards in the camera yields a message stating that they need to be formatted.  Accepting this fact, the screen shows “Formatting” forever.  Literally left the camera on all night while sleeping and it stayed that way.  I formatted and stored something and did several reformats on a Microsoft Surface Pro (Windows 10) with no problems.  But, they won’t format in the camera.

This happens in firmware 1.6.1 as well as whatever I had prior to that (probably immediately prior release as camera was new and updated within the past month, prior to 1.6.1 update).

Any ideas?

GoPro

Re: Hero7 Black won’t format SD card

This is the first time I personally heard about the issue. It could be the SD card as even with firmware 1.61, I am able to format on my HERO7 Black camera using a SanDisk Extreme card. If available, see how it goes with a different card. Also, if you have not tried it yet, try manually updating the camera firmware even if the camera already has the latest one. We'd love to hear back from you. Thanks!

Hiker

Hello....thank you for your reply.

I downloaded and performed a manual update to 1.6.1 and this update went smoothly.

I then tried the SD cards I referenced in my original post (there are 2 of them).  Same result, endless "Formatting..." on the screen with no end until power is forced off.

I have a Samsung Evo 128MB U1 card that I've also used and this formats and reformats quickly and without problem.  But, I wanted to update to the faster cards.

Any further suggestions?  

Hiker

Also, checking the reviews for this card on Amazon (where I purchased it), there are several others who report that this card doesn't work in their Hero7.  However, there are also others that report it does.  So, whatever differences there are, this card does not appear to be 100% compatible with this camera.

GoPro

Thanks for posting back @thesamurai1

We'll have this shared with the team in charge.

So we can run additional tests with the said card.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

I have this exact problem with the same card (128G Samsung EVO Select). Even bought 2 of them on Amazon just like the OP! Looking forward to the inevitable firmware update :)

GoPro

Hi @neilw158,

Have you tried formatting the SD card using a computer?

Please check if other SD card will act the same. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

Yes I have - formatted has ExtFat (as another working card was) and still no luck. Also tried copying over the files and directories from another card to mimic the file system, still doesn't work. Both the 128G Samsung cards I purchased have the same problem, other cards (e.g. SanDisk Extreme 64GB) are fine. It's pretty clear to me it's an incompatibility with the Samsung EVO cards.