Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black touch screen information

Disappointed.

Need to buy before 14-06-2019 when i am going to snorkel. Maybe I will buy a Sony or maybe i can find a Hero 6.

Tourist

Hi All

Anyone who knew about new SW/firmware release about this
matter ?

Best regard Per

Explorer

No info as of yet.

Just wondering, why does it matter if you can see the battery info or not while snorkeling? You are in the water, so it's not as if you could swap out the battery. If while snorkeling you become concerned about remaining battery, you always can take a moment and just check the front of the LCD screen.

For battery information and expected duration, see this article https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hero7-battery-information

Of course, if it's paramount to you that the battery indicator is on the rear LCD, instead of on the front LCD, I'm not trying to argue or say you are wrong. I just don't understand the necessity or how this one thing would stop you from purchasing perhaps the best EIS stabilized camera, ever.
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Knowing the PERCENT of battery life left is very helpful, whether snorkeling or recording above surface. The front screen shows a rudimentary representation of battery life in the form of a very non-specific icon. The rear indicator would show the actual percent left.

While using the camera, it is quite undesirable to have to turn the camera and look at the front to get an inaccurate estimate of battery life. Doing so obviously ruins the current recording. If, OTOH, it was on the rear, as the other GPs are, then it is quite easy to continue to record.

Also, while snorkelying you CAN rise to the surface, which may only be feet above you, and make the change, if necessary. It is entirely possible, and quite easy, to have the 7 operate like previous models. Why they chose not to do this is baffling. 

PS. Thanks, though, for your comment. Hopefully this can [read SHOULD] be resolved soon.

Tourist

I can also stop my car and go out and look into the tank if there is more gas Smiley Happy

Tourist

Hahaha. I put this exact analogy in my comment but deleted it. Perfect point!

Tourist

One thing's for sure.
If i turn of the camera or stop filming to see the Battery life.
There will be a big turtle smiling to me in the same moment
and then the turtle will be gone forever.Smiley Happy

Explorer

If you fill up your gas tank and start driving, you need constant reminders how much gas you have left? Sure, over the course of a few days having the gas gauge is important but if I'm filling up and heading out on a trip I don't know about you but I can figure out how much gas I need in about when I'm going to need to fill up again.

The expected battery duration is known, as I gave in the link above. The "rudimentary" indicator should suffice in letting you know if your battery is full, half-full, or nearing its end.

I most certainly advise against a, "rise to the surface" and changing out the battery without first thoroughly drying the camera first. Certainly if you are able to stop recording and rise to the surface, you are also able to stop recording and look at the front of the camera.

I'm not saying having a battery indicator wouldn't be a nice feature, but let's not make it out to be more than what it really is.