Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero7 Black touch screen information

Using my Hero5 Black, when I am recording, I can see what I am recording on the rear LCD screen. I also see information such as mode, battery icon and percent of charge, among other information.  When I tap on the screen, this information around the border turns on and off, all the while the video is showing on the screen, until it times out and turns black.

Using my Hero7 Black, when I am recording, I can see what I am recording on the rear LCD screen, and a timer at the top. I see nothing else. Tapping on the screen does nothing. I am unable to see the battery percent remaining, the mode information etc.

I called GoPro support and was told that this is by design. WHAT?????? It can't possibly be that they designed the 7 so that you can't see the information while recording.  Someone please tell me how to do this, or that my 7 has a defect.

Yes I know that there is some hard-to-see info on the front of camera in the small screen, but obviously I don't want to see my mug looking down into the video every few minutes.

I have attached a comparison photo showing what the 5 displays and what the 7 displays.

Rear LCDs.jpg
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero7 Black touch screen information

Your Hero 7 Black is normal not defective.  Gopro, changed Font sizes and  removed OSD info..  We should hve the option to turn on and off and have say three  OSD presses Full, half and None.  I suggest going to and giving your feedback like he did (see Below)  I have a camera that has too much info, I love a camera i can see the bullet of record big, not small, so I know I am recording.  If this is not to your liking and you wait till a new firmware comes out, it may be fixed in say FW 1.80 or whatver number they assign.

FISH

feedback ii.png

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the quick reply.  It seems terribly inconvenient not to be able to see, at a minimum, how much battery life is left, while recording. I don't understand why they would remove that. Am I wrong? If I am recording, how can I tell when I need to get ready to switch batteries? Is there another way I am not seeing? The problem (among others) that I see is if I am recording, how do I know that the battery is depleted, and the recording stopped? If I am outdoors, or there is even moderate sound, I won't hear any beeps. I must be missing something?

Highlighted
Adventurer

GoPro had this correct on the older Hero's, I am sure they  will correct this  It's important to have  info on the OSD, if asked very important, you do not want to see a blank screen I know.   get to gopro.  have your voice heard or write to them. not passing this to them will not get this done.

FISH

Highlighted
Tourist

Done. Just submitted this issue and request for a fix. Thank you.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Thank you. in due time they'll work on the fix.and a firmware release be out, wish they note that on the site here they don't.

FISH

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello

Anyone who know if there has bee a firmware opdate regarding battery icon when recording ?
I will only buy a hero 7 black if this has been fix as i am going to snorkel with it.

Best regards Per

Highlighted
Nomad

I mentioned about this OSD many times in the other posts - It is only 1 thing which I really "want to have". I still cannnot undestand why GoPro went backward with this...Its like disable ABS in modern car ;) and release new patch to turn it on again :) I hope will be on the next FW.