Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero7 Black suddenly stopped working

[ New ]

I bought the Hero7 Black of Amazon 2 years ago (15-Jul-19). I never been a heavy user, used it a few times at the lake, out in the winter when riding my fat bike, sports event, etc. I must have less than 5 hours of recording through its lifespan.

Starting very recently, I had the device not turning on. I tried all different steps of removing battery, changing, connecting to computer, etc and nothing would work. All of sudden, after giving up, it works... Now this morning, I was happy as it was working fine and I need it for a baby reveal I have on Saturday. It worked all day, and again all of sudden I'm tryong to show my girlfriend it works, and it won't open... again. 

I can hear beep sounds sometimes, but it won't plugged into my computer. When it did, it rapidily connect/disconnect until it fullys disconnect.

I'm trying to do a manual update followed by a factory reset but I need it to turn on for that. Any help? 

Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black suddenly stopped working

[ New ]
I was able to turn it on and perform de manual update. I quickly followed with a factory reset of the GoPro.

I’ll update with any issue
GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for the update! @jlc4life

Feel free to post back if anything comes up.

Tourist

[ New ]
I may have got my hopes to high! Shortly after resetting it and formatting the SD card (since it had the update on it), I was able to adjust all my settings and when I went to turn it off, the screen stayed on but inactive. I had to remove the battery to shut it down and now it won’t turn on again.
Tourist

[ New ]
@aragon1006 what’s the next step in my case? I haven’t been able to turn it on since yesterday, with or without battery, plug to the computer or to the wall
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @jlc4life

Sorry to hear about what happened with your camera.

Let our Support Team check on this further.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Please let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

hi jlc4life,

i have the identical problem since today. Do you have any feedback from the support?

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi @spirystar31178

The response I had chatting with product was that my Hero7 was dying. And since it was bought in 2019, 1-year warranty had expired.

I plugged in my GoPro to my computer and left it plugged in for a few hours. At some point it went through a few cycle of it connecting/disconnecting from my PC (W10 USB sound).

It went full charge, as if my battery was dead even though I had charging before the weekend prior to posting. I’m not sure exactly where the issue is coming from, the GoPro itself, my dual charger or supercharger… one thing I know is that it works again. Cross fingers!!!!
Tourist

[ New ]
I've tried your crazy method.. But it works.. The camera freezes more than before.. But I can handle it.. I can take some shots with a 50/50 chance. It's not the 100% gorpo.. Yes.. It's dying.. Annoying! It's seems a software bug...