Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

I'm having the same issue, and it sounds as if I'm having the issue even more often than you. =(  And unfortunately I don't have the option to re-capture the footage I'm losing due to the freeze since the videos are from my scuba adventures - can't exactly coax underwater life to repeat the cool/cute things they just did. =(

I have noticed there hasn't been a reply from GoPro with any helpful advice or suggestions as to what we could do to perhaps avoid these freezes. Have you guys by any chance been able to learn anything about this issue to hopefully correct it in an update? This happened to me with multiple files on multiple different microSD cards (brand new), on a brand new Hero 7 Black. I captured footage using both the Quick Capture and the normal video mode, and I always film in 1080 for the sake of file size.

Please help so I don't lose footage from my next dive trip! Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

No one can help you. It's a club for compassion. Aha-ha-ha-ha!!! Sorry...

Highlighted
Tourist

=((((

Highlighted
Hiker

@crc3camp wrote:

I'm having the same issue, and it sounds as if I'm having the issue even more often than you. =(  And unfortunately I don't have the option to re-capture the footage I'm losing due to the freeze since the videos are from my scuba adventures - can't exactly coax underwater life to repeat the cool/cute things they just did. =(

I have noticed there hasn't been a reply from GoPro with any helpful advice or suggestions as to what we could do to perhaps avoid these freezes. Have you guys by any chance been able to learn anything about this issue to hopefully correct it in an update? This happened to me with multiple files on multiple different microSD cards (brand new), on a brand new Hero 7 Black. I captured footage using both the Quick Capture and the normal video mode, and I always film in 1080 for the sake of file size.

Please help so I don't lose footage from my next dive trip! Thanks!

No there is nothing you can do but send the P.O.S. defective gopro back to GoPro for "repair" or replacement. You'll most likely get a "refurbished" (used) one back that may or may not work. My refurbished one works a lot better than my original one but haven't used it a ton so we'll see how it goes. Can try different SD card, but I doubt they will help. 

Highlighted
Tourist

friends, all I can suggest is what I did.  Did a factory reset.  Updated the camera to latest software in patch.  Formatted SSD card.  Tested and it's all good (so far).  I am not deleting any videos/photos again only formatting.  Will keep you posted.  So far so good

Highlighted
Tourist

Yeah, I did all that. (reformat, update blah blah). I still have this issue. It's about 1/20 videos, and so far seems to be mostly towards the end of the batery life. I've been trying to stwap them around the 50% mark and it seems to have worked the last few times, yet I need more data points to be sure.

I don't think factory resetting the camera helps.

Highlighted
Tourist

The battery life point is interesting.

Recently all of my original 4 GoPro brand batteries started failing and now none will hold a charge.

I invested in 4 cheaper non-GoPro brand batteries. They're about 1/2 the price and work well. Since my main use is for creating skiing videos, the batteries are out in the cold a lot. I keep them warm in a pocket inside my jacket until I need them. I'm bummed that the 4 GoPro brand batteries will no longer hold a charge and fail almost immediately after turning on the GoPro7. I need to replace those 4 with new ones but I may wait to see if it's worth it. I'm seriously considering switching action camera brands. Too bad since I also have a GoPro 5 Black and would prefer to stay with GoPro if I can get the 7 Black to perform as expected.

When using the older GoPro batteries, the battery life indicator displays a full charge when the battery is inserted. I start recording and quickly (within 60 seconds) I hear the camera beeping and then it shuts itself off.

I have not noticed any connection between battery level and the video freezing while the audio is recording correctly. I have noticed that my GoPro7 Black sometimes will appear locked up after I press the button to stop recording. Sometimes there can be a long delay (as long as 45 seconds) between when I've pressed the button and when the GoPro responds with the multiple-beep signal stating recording has stopped. This makes me unsure if I pressed the button hard enough to have activated the stop recording switch. Often I'm wearing gloves when recording video.

I've noticed that the GoPro 7 camera will just randomly lock up and both the button and screen will stop responding, and the only way to recover is by yanking the battery. This lockup issue seems random. Often I must wait to see if the camera has actually locked up or is taking a very long time to store the file and respond that the stop button has been pressed and the recording has stopped.

Other times the camera works as expected which makes it very frustrating to use because you never know what is going to happen next.

You're always wondering, "Did I just record that awesome ski run or do I have another useless video file with great audio that I will have to delete when I get back to my computer?"

Highlighted
Tourist

That's interesting! I will be even more diligent about keeping an eye on the battery life and change it before it gets below 50%. Thank you for that tidbit that seems to have helped you so far, even if it's not a true fix. =) I appreciate it!