Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

I’ve recently purchased a hero 7 black and have used it twice mountain biking
1st time was fine,second time I switched camera on as normal and presses the shoot/record button and camera started recording
When I was at the bottom of the trail I had trouble switching camera off and had to pull the battery out
The video file recorded fine for the first minute and then it recorded in split screen ruining the footage
I’m using a 64gb SanDisk extreme and done the software update over the app on my IPhone app
I’m paid a lot of money and would expect this to be working to its capacity and not glitching and causing issues
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

I have the same issue, my Gopro Hero7 Black (firmware v01.61.00 installed via the Gopro App for Android) would sporadically and unpredictably freeze my 4K 60fps videos after a few seconds and only audio would be recorded. I even tried to repair these videos with available software with no luck, the video footage is completely lost.

I'm using a Samsung EVO Select 128GB card. I've noticed that sometimes when I format my card from either the Gopro or my computer and then do a performance test with CrystalDiskMark (free), both write and read speeds are around 40 MB/s (I repeated the test several times). Have in mind that the maximum bitrate of the Hero7 Black is 78 MB/s (4K) which may explain why some of my videos get frozen. Now, when I fully format my card from my computer (using exFAT file system), both write and read speeds are above 80 MB/s. I don't know how to explain these huge speed swings in my SD card but just in case I ordered a new SD card (SanDisk 128GB Extreme) and a new USB 3.0 card reader, I don't mind having a second SD card as backup during my trips to the mountain. I'll do performance tests again on the new card and will inform later if I still have issues with frozen videos. I recommend that you do a full format of your SD cards from your computer and several speed tests using CrystalDiskMark or similar software to rule out a faulty card. Also, it may be helpful to do a quick format after transfering files to your computer to ensure your Gopro starts with a clean file system every time you need it.

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm sunnyridge20561 again. After I sent my comment I realized that the max bitrate of the Hero 7 black is 78 Mb/s , not 78 MB/s.

78 Mb/s = 9.75 MB/s, so any memory card with a consistent write speed faster than 9.75 MB/s should work. Anyways, I reset my Gopro to factory settings, manually installed the latest firmware, reset my Gopro to factory settings again, fully formatted the memory card in my computer and then tried to record long and short videos (more than 6 hs of footage in total). So far I haven't experienced frozen videos again. I hope this works for you too.
Highlighted
Explorer

This really bugs me and people need to stop. Bitrate has nothing to do with how fast the SD card write speed needs to be. It has to do with the FILE size and how much information is being written per second. At 78 Mb/s, one video recorded for one hour would equate to a 4 GB video file. This is not the case. If you want to know the write speed per second needed, record for one minute and divide by 60.
Highlighted
Tourist

Daniel, before asking people to stop, I suggest you educate yourself. Just in case you didn't know, 1 hour has 3600 seconds. At a 78 Mbps bitrate, a 1-hour video would result in 78x3600=280800 Mb = 35100 MB = 34.7 GB.

As I mentioned before, your SD card needs to support a consistent write speed faster than 78 Mb/s = 9.75 MB/s if you want to record 4K@60fps videos with your Gopro Hero7 Black.

Highlighted
Tourist

I also have the same problem that the image freezes and the audio continues.

My Gopro 7 is updated with all of the latest updates as I only got it two weeks ago, and updated it when I got it out of the box.

I have just got back from skiing for a week and typically film using the Karma Grip, as I already own one (also updated for latest updates). However, on the couple of occasions when I mounted the Gopro on my head mount the video freezes after between 20 and 50 seconds. I use a SanDisk memory card and also changed the battery to a fully charged battery after one fail. Same result with the next bit of footage. No problems when using with the Karma Grip over several hours of filming, all using 4K:60fps.

Very frustrated, please could you share the above with the software team and report back.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @simonm361 . Sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your camera. Try out the steps suggested by @robert1326 above. Let us know how it works out. Also, which SanDisk card are you using? Details about it would be helpful. Hope to hear back from you. 

Highlighted
Hiker

I followed the steps @robert1326 described above, and unfortunately it has not solved my problem.  At first I thought maybe it had worked because I went through a few recording sessions with an issue, but today the freezing issue as described before happened again in two separate recording sessions.

The steps I went through were:

- Factory reset the Hero7

- copy the 1.61 firmware update to an SD card and apply it to the Hero7

- again factory reset the Hero7, verifying it is still on 1.61 after this reset

- format my SD card on my Mac instead of in the camera

I also started paying attention to the battery level to see if I was seeing the same thing that @bravestar55076 mentioned regarding the issue happening more frequently with a low battery.  The last time the camera froze the battery was at about 75%, and the two times before that it was at about 50% so it doesn't seem like a low battery is causing it in my case.

One other thing I tried was turning off the GPS.  Just as with other things I've tried at first I thought maybe it worked because I had a few sessions with no freezes, but then I had the freezing issues again so that does not seem to be the cause.