Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

I had/have this issue with two GoPro 7 Black and a brand new GoPro 8 Black!

It is unbelievable that they cant find a solution.

I have tried all Workaround. Changed SD Cards, updated manualy, changed FPS and analysis.

Still the same. It is very frustrating that GoPro cant sovle this issue.

I got the feeling if you film with more than 60 fps ans use Quickcapture its 95% you will face this issue.

I had changed two GoPro 7 actions cams and bought the 8Black hoping this will not occure again.

Hiker

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

Happened to me while not using qc or 60fps on my old H7B..

Hiker

[ New ]

4th GoPro 7, 3 replacements, and still-old-good-familiar issues (freezing if you cannot guess):

https://youtu.be/h5NKjgSSJrs

The forth GoPro 7 (3 replacements) is still freezing.
Tourist

[ New ]
Spent two days away mountain biking. One day on trails all recorded ok. Second day fresh battery fresh start at an enduro. Half a dozen videos, not one has worked. All videos have 1 second of video and ten mins of sound. GoPro hero 7 black. Feels like a complete waste of money now :(.

Anyone been able to recover the videos or are they a complete failure.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @beejmackie

Sorry for any trouble caused.

Do you have the camera up to date?

Please see if turning Auto Low Light OFF will make a difference.

Also, please make sure you are using a recommended SD card.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
The camera is up to date now. However the camera had been up to date except for the most recent update. Camera had been working fine before Sunday. Saturday I did a full day of recording. Sunday nothing worked. Today I recorded several videos as tests and all worked. I then travelled home and updated the software when I was back on Wi-fi. I can try changing low light settings but this is not happening everytime so have no way of knowing if it’s fixed or not?

Tourist

[ New ]
Memory card is
image.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

Typical GoPro answer

bla-bla-bla sorry...

bla-bla-bla the latest software

bla-bla-bla different card (not this recommended but different recommended, better try 10 different)

Silence.

Guys, are you serious c'mon!!!

At least make some press release.

Confess that you don't know what to do and you ufcked everything up.

Al least you'll be honest to your customers.

We'll understand.

A sin confessed is half forgiven.

Explorer

[ New ]
Well, while I hear what your saying, the SanDisk Ultra (considered by most long time GoPro users - check www.reddit.com/r/GOPRO for independent confirmation - to be the WORST SD card to use) is definitely NOT on the recommended list of SD cards.
https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations
Adventurer

[ New ]

When one uses what they got that is what they get till they listen to gopro they are stuck with the issue at hand.  Can not afford a new card, but can afford a new camera.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Hope I said that righte:

When one uses what they got that is what they get.

Tourist

[ New ]
Oops. Didn’t realise it wasn’t a recommended one. I’ll fork out for a recommended one however if I get the same issue afterwards.......
Explorer

[ New ]
If you continue to have issues you will want to contact GoPro's Support. Just FYI, I was using five SanDisk Extreme cards (recommended). I was getting occasional freezing (about 20 minutes into recording). It took awhile, because I was alternating cards, but it turned out that it was only with one particular card. The others work fine. I've also heard that having Low Light off and the orientation set to UP (or DOWN if you mount upside-down) helps. I always use have Low light off and the orientation set personally, so you should try that as well.
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks I’ll give it a try. Strange thing is I’ve had the camera for 6 months with same card. Used regularly on same settings, also used to take videos and pictures in low light conditions without changing settings. This is the first time it’s happened.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Well like said  try a full format sometimes a not so trusted card works  or vica-verca,

Sightseer

[ New ]
The same thing happeneds to my GoPro especially in cold weather in any Resolution and framerate. It's so annoying because I have to use my old hero 3 to make Shure I get shot. I really would like to use gopros in the future but this problem is so annoying.
Tourist

[ New ]
Funny you should say that. It was about 1 degree when I was having the problems.
Hiker

[ New ]

Well, I just got back from Siberia and it was very cold.  Wasn't even expecting my GP to work very long in the cold.  I have 3 batteries but not always convenient to change in sub zero weather.  My fingers would get very cold very fast too.  

So, yes, did have issues where the vid would stop but audio would continue- but expected that if I didn't keep the camera warm, which wasn't easy.

My conclusions, cold really affects the camera, even when just around balmy temps like 32F.  Later in my trip I tried to change batts often and sometimes used a hand warmer against the camera with much better results.

My other Panasonic mirrorless camera would "freeze-up" very quickly too!

Tourist

[ New ]

Bonjour à tous, j'ai connu ce problème de freeze de l'image sur deux vidéos pendant un séjour au ski :( Est-ce que parmis vous, il a été possible de réparer la vidéo et si oui comment avez vous fait ? Il y a des logiciels et des sites qui proposent de pouvoir le faire mais c'est payant et je n'ai pas vraiment de garantie sur leur possible efficacité... 

Je vous remercie pour vos réponses 

Hiker

[ New ]

Don't know of any way the videos can be "fixed".  The files are corrupted, I believe.  

Tourist

[ New ]

hi Go Pro,

Hero7Black user, has some great times and videos with my GP however recently it has been freezing on all footage after 10 seconds.  The image stalls and the sound and recording carry on but nothing is shown on screen.

This renders my Go Pro useless and we are now looking to use another camera to do our filming.  THIS IS NOT WHY I PAID TOP WHACK FOR A GO PRO7 HERO BLACK.  There is no fix, there is no help, there is no support.  Amazing.

@GoPro over to you.. I am a fully paid up member of your community but I can't film any more as your camera is broken :(

https://gopro.com/v/4yPNQ7DJ1QQ7Q is a sample of the great quality footage to freeze frame :(

Tourist

[ New ]

I'd rather let @GoPro sort this out and get back to me. In the meantime I am going to factory reset, format the sd card and start again. I'll let you know how I get on :) thanks for the support

Tourist

[ New ]

Bro look how long this topic is.  It's OBVIOUS this is a huge issue that affects basically every Hero 7 black ever made, and it's obvious Gopro does not give a **bleep**.  They are not going to 'get back to you'.  They are already trying to sell the Hero 8; the 7 is just something they need to sell the rest of what they have, and then they really won't give a **bleep**.

Hiker

[ New ]

Once your cam start doing that it will always do that in my experience. It'll never work reliably ever again. So do all the "things" just to prove you did them. Then send it back to gopro and they will send you a used/ refurbished unit that may or may not work right if yours is less than 1 year old. I have no idea what happens if it is 367 days old, I imagine they make you pay for the service..

My refurb/ used H7B has worked ok so far.. we'll see how it goes but the original one I bought was totally screwed up and never worked right. Using same batts as I was before so it is not the batteries.  I switched SD cards just to go through the hoops, but the SD card wasn't the problem I do not think. This is the one I am using now.  Try it and see what happens. 

It's worth the $25 to test. Gopro gave me a complimentary gopro mount as compensation for having to try a different SD card as the ones I was using were also on the approved list but the guy said they shouldn't be. I dunno...  right hand doewsn't know what the left hand is doing in disorganized businesses sometimes.

SanDisk 128GB Extreme MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - C10, U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD - SDSQXA1-128G-GN6MA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FCMKK5X

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same issue. It occures randomly, when hot, when cold, with different SD cards, when fully charged and not. I will be claiming new camera

Tourist

[ New ]

I've reset the Go Pro and formatted the SD card and I've had no repeat of the issue - so far.  I think it may be memory gaps in the card that cause the issue but I'll let you know as things progress!  Best Dom

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same problem. It locks up ramdomly. It is very frustrating.

I like to record myself skiing. Some videos record as expected, others lock up. I have noticed that the issue doesn't occur as often if I record at 1080P instead of the higher resolutions (2.7K and 4K). If this doesn't get resolved soon, this will be the last GoPro product I ever buy. I have a GoPro 5 and 7.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

If you continue to get the same after going through the manual update and using a recommended SD card, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm still looking into it.   Nothing you guys have said works.  You shipped a flawed product and your only offer is to replace it with an identical flawed product because they'are all screwed up.

Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah they probably all have some inherent flaws, but my replacement works a lot better. It’s worth contacting support and getting a replacement if you can’t get yours to function reliably after taking all the steps you can do.
Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having the same issue, and it sounds as if I'm having the issue even more often than you. =(  And unfortunately I don't have the option to re-capture the footage I'm losing due to the freeze since the videos are from my scuba adventures - can't exactly coax underwater life to repeat the cool/cute things they just did. =(

I have noticed there hasn't been a reply from GoPro with any helpful advice or suggestions as to what we could do to perhaps avoid these freezes. Have you guys by any chance been able to learn anything about this issue to hopefully correct it in an update? This happened to me with multiple files on multiple different microSD cards (brand new), on a brand new Hero 7 Black. I captured footage using both the Quick Capture and the normal video mode, and I always film in 1080 for the sake of file size.

Please help so I don't lose footage from my next dive trip! Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

No one can help you. It's a club for compassion. Aha-ha-ha-ha!!! Sorry...

Tourist

[ New ]

=((((

Hiker

[ New ]

@crc3camp wrote:

I'm having the same issue, and it sounds as if I'm having the issue even more often than you. =(  And unfortunately I don't have the option to re-capture the footage I'm losing due to the freeze since the videos are from my scuba adventures - can't exactly coax underwater life to repeat the cool/cute things they just did. =(

I have noticed there hasn't been a reply from GoPro with any helpful advice or suggestions as to what we could do to perhaps avoid these freezes. Have you guys by any chance been able to learn anything about this issue to hopefully correct it in an update? This happened to me with multiple files on multiple different microSD cards (brand new), on a brand new Hero 7 Black. I captured footage using both the Quick Capture and the normal video mode, and I always film in 1080 for the sake of file size.

Please help so I don't lose footage from my next dive trip! Thanks!

No there is nothing you can do but send the P.O.S. defective gopro back to GoPro for "repair" or replacement. You'll most likely get a "refurbished" (used) one back that may or may not work. My refurbished one works a lot better than my original one but haven't used it a ton so we'll see how it goes. Can try different SD card, but I doubt they will help. 

Tourist

[ New ]

friends, all I can suggest is what I did.  Did a factory reset.  Updated the camera to latest software in patch.  Formatted SSD card.  Tested and it's all good (so far).  I am not deleting any videos/photos again only formatting.  Will keep you posted.  So far so good

Tourist

[ New ]

Yeah, I did all that. (reformat, update blah blah). I still have this issue. It's about 1/20 videos, and so far seems to be mostly towards the end of the batery life. I've been trying to stwap them around the 50% mark and it seems to have worked the last few times, yet I need more data points to be sure.

I don't think factory resetting the camera helps.

Tourist

[ New ]

The battery life point is interesting.

Recently all of my original 4 GoPro brand batteries started failing and now none will hold a charge.

I invested in 4 cheaper non-GoPro brand batteries. They're about 1/2 the price and work well. Since my main use is for creating skiing videos, the batteries are out in the cold a lot. I keep them warm in a pocket inside my jacket until I need them. I'm bummed that the 4 GoPro brand batteries will no longer hold a charge and fail almost immediately after turning on the GoPro7. I need to replace those 4 with new ones but I may wait to see if it's worth it. I'm seriously considering switching action camera brands. Too bad since I also have a GoPro 5 Black and would prefer to stay with GoPro if I can get the 7 Black to perform as expected.

When using the older GoPro batteries, the battery life indicator displays a full charge when the battery is inserted. I start recording and quickly (within 60 seconds) I hear the camera beeping and then it shuts itself off.

I have not noticed any connection between battery level and the video freezing while the audio is recording correctly. I have noticed that my GoPro7 Black sometimes will appear locked up after I press the button to stop recording. Sometimes there can be a long delay (as long as 45 seconds) between when I've pressed the button and when the GoPro responds with the multiple-beep signal stating recording has stopped. This makes me unsure if I pressed the button hard enough to have activated the stop recording switch. Often I'm wearing gloves when recording video.

I've noticed that the GoPro 7 camera will just randomly lock up and both the button and screen will stop responding, and the only way to recover is by yanking the battery. This lockup issue seems random. Often I must wait to see if the camera has actually locked up or is taking a very long time to store the file and respond that the stop button has been pressed and the recording has stopped.

Other times the camera works as expected which makes it very frustrating to use because you never know what is going to happen next.

You're always wondering, "Did I just record that awesome ski run or do I have another useless video file with great audio that I will have to delete when I get back to my computer?"

Tourist

[ New ]
That's interesting! I will be even more diligent about keeping an eye on the battery life and change it before it gets below 50%. Thank you for that tidbit that seems to have helped you so far, even if it's not a true fix. =) I appreciate it!
Sightseer

[ New ]

I don't really feel like reading through 62 pages but based on the last few pages there doesn't seem to be any solution which is incredibly disappointing given the price of this camera. I bought a Hero8 specifically for a ski trip just to find a whole bunch of videos that don't work when I got home. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear you're having a problem with your camera, @epicjump2041. If you continue to experience issues after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps mentioned here, please contact our Support Team so they can help look further into the details. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Tourist

[ New ]

Are you serious? I have the same problem even though I replaced the camera twice. If you can't solve the problem,

please recall the camera.

Tourist

[ New ]
Sorry GoPro, a bot like response after reading all these complaints is super unprofessional. While waiting, i pumped a $1,000 into Insta360 camera and accessories. i didn’t even consider GoPro’s 360 version. My Hero 7 Black can now have a new purpose, a paper weight, where reliably can be guaranteed.
Hiker

[ New ]
I have it replaced 3 times. I guess what... Switching to Insta 360
Hiker

[ New ]

Well my replacement started doing the same exact thing as my old onetoday  but worse.. with artifacts all over the screen.

Perfect weather, 75 F degrees, full battery. 4k 30 fps superview, hypersmooth, same as I always run. 

Stabilization jerky exactly like last cam with different battery, different SD card, etc..  So it is obviously a design defect or something. Guess I am out $400 because this was my warranty replacement and now my original is out of warranty.  These cameras are junk!  WTF

Hiker

[ New ]
GoPro

[ New ]

This is definitely not an expected quality from the camera, @bwx232. Is this the same quality that you get no matter which media player you use? If you got your replacement from Support, it would be best to continue working with them. Please provide them the same video showing the issue. They will help you with the next steps. You may use the same case number that you were provided before, for easy reference. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

This is definitely not an expected quality from the camera, @bwx232. Is this the same quality that you get no matter which media player you use? If you got your replacement from Support, it would be best to continue working with them. Please provide them the same video showing the issue. They will help you with the next steps. You may use the same case number that you were provided before, for easy reference. 

It came out of the cam like that of course it does that on any player.  I got the replacement last year at the end of the year while original cam was still under warranty for doing the same thing as well as what is listed as title of the thread..

I told them it wouldn't be until Spring/Summer when I was going to start using it more. My cam is out of warranty, replacement cam failed. Same old story played out many times by many people in this and other threads.

Yes I will contact support but people need to realize these things are all defective before they buy them.  Have you read this thread by any chance? have you read all the other threads listing in detail how these cams all eventually fail? This is not at all unique to my camera, it happens all the time to lots of people's Hero7 Blacks.  

Explorer

[ New ]
These "things" are most certainly not "all" defective. Can you share the raw, unedited, video so that support can look at the actual file.

Also, exactly what SD card are you using (now and in the past). Please provide Make, Model, Size, and where you purchased it.

Finally, did you perform a manual update and factory reset?
Tourist

[ New ]

If I understand this correctly, GoPro asks you to send in your defective camera for a replacement camera.

GoPro then sends you a replacement camera that suffers the same issue. I'm beginning to wonder that if I send my defective camera in, GoPro will load the latest firmware on it (which I've already done) and send it to someone else as their replacement camera.

This seems like a scam. I'm beginning to feel like a sucker for having purchased into the GoPro brand. I own a GoPro 5 and 7 Black, plus a ton of accessories.

Besides the date always being the same and wrong (Jan 1, 2005) on the files my GoPro 5 Black creates, the video and audio always recorded well. I never worried that there may not be a usable movie created when I start recording while using the 5.

But my GoPro 7 Black's video locking up randomly while the audio records correctly is a game changer. Every 1 out of 4 movies my 7 Black records has good audio but locked up video making the camera completely unreliable and basically useless. 

And it seems GoPro's solution to this problem is to replace the camera with someone else's' defective camera.

I hope GoPro finds a firmware solution soon. These cameras aren't cheap and I feel I've been cheated out of a lot of money after buying the 7 Black.

Hiker

[ New ]

I don't think we will ever see a firmware update addressing this issue. Soon there will bei a Hero 9 - influencers might have it already. Why bother wasting time for a camera that old. And it seems to be a hardware issue which cannot be fixed via software.

Those things happen but I'm extremely disappointed there is no trade-in special for us users of a broken camera where we have to pay up to 100 bucks and get a Hero 8.

I also have ton of accessories but still it will be my last Gopro. I (and everyone else) need a reliable camera. And a support that takes these issues seriously. There ist no official statement regarding that issue that made lots of users angry - just read the reviews everywhere.