Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

I see a lot of videos on YouTube singing the praises of GoPro products. I think I'll start posting comments asking these influencers if they have ever suffered this issue and then enjoyed the lack of support and concern GoPro offers their dedicated customers.

Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

Good point, influencers don't get really harsh the hand that feeds them.  We can keep them honest by pointing them to this type of forums.  BTW, when I first posted this complaint on the GoPro main product review site, they deleted it.   For me, I moved away from GoPro and to Insta360, photo quality close to GoPro, but I know my footage is always there, remote always works and

@agilesurf3352 wrote:

I see a lot of videos on YouTube singing the praises of GoPro products. I think I'll start posting comments asking these influencers if they have ever suffered this issue and then enjoyed the lack of support and concern GoPro offers their dedicated customers.

editing is much easier.

Tourist

[ New ]
Some of my GoPro Hero 7 Black videos were frozen in the middle, while the audio continued. There doesn't seem to be a true fix for this error, but there are ...
Hiker

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:
These "things" are most certainly not "all" defective. Can you share the raw, unedited, video so that support can look at the actual file.

Also, exactly what SD card are you using (now and in the past). Please provide Make, Model, Size, and where you purchased it.

Finally, did you perform a manual update and factory reset?

I think they are. I think they will all eventually fail in some way or another as there are serious problems with these cams.  The ones that don't fail probably just hardy ever get used. After a few months of moderate use they glitch out and are useless $400 paperweights. 

I went through this complete process already I know the deal. I have done all the steps. I have jumped through all the hoops. I know exactly how the process works. I know support blames SD cards. I know support blames settings in the cams. I know support blames 4k recording. I know they blame mic adapter. I know they blame anything and everything except admitting there is a problem with the cam. 

I have an SD card on the list that has worked in this cam for a few months already just like my old SD cards worked in my original H7B for several month. It has nothing to do with the SD cards. My replacement cam worked fine with my old cards and also worked fine with this card (different brand) which is ALSO on the approved list just like the ones I was using with original that I was told to replace because they "shouldn't be on the list". That's what the support guy said on the phone. So I bought the different approved card. All a waste of time and money because it had nothing to do with it obviously. 

It doesn't even matter what SD cards I had or have because that is not the problem obviously since the cams worked with them fine up until they cams developed whatever software or hardware defect they develop and quit working. They fail in the exact same way! 

Also there is no place to upload original file. All they wanted me to do was upload the file to youtube and go to special page and give them a link to that youtube video.

Gopro doesn't have servers or any system that allows you to upload a raw 8+ GB file to so they can check it out.  If cams aren't defective how do people get four, five, even six replacements that all end up doing the same thing with different batteries, SD cards, etc?

Think about it for a few seconds and give me an explanation for that. There is only one explanation, they are all defective. They can only pass the buck so many times before the obvious explanation slaps them in the face.

Gopro support ultimate solution is to record in 1080p with no stabilization. That's what they said.  No that's BS, I didn't buy a $400 gopro to do that. I bought it to record at 4k with superview like it said you could on the package.  I've been fighting all the bugs and glitches and defects with these H7B cams for over a year now. I think I know what i'm talking about,  more than most including you apparently.

Hiker

[ New ]

Old SD card on left, new SD card on right. BOTH on list. Using Sandisk on right with replacement H7B.  Worked fine for months with light use. As soon as I started using cam more regularly, boom, it glitched in the exact same way old cam did. What a coincidence. Must be one on a million shot. sandisk - samsung sd cards.jpg

Explorer

[ New ]

You spent a lot of time writing without ever directly answering the questions.
I have a HERO7 Black and have been using it 3-4 times a week surfing for well over a year. No issues (purchased the day it came out).
My Son has a HERO7 Black, he uses it frequently for vlogs, hikes, in his Karma drone and Grip and school events.
My brother in law has a HERO7 Black. He uses it frequently to record his child growing up. His son was born just before HERO7 came out and he got it when H7 was released. He's been capturing priceless memories ever since.
My neighbor has a HERO7 Black. He's an avid bicyclist and uses his HERO7 Black pretty much daily.
My old college roommate has a HERO7 Black. He's a snowboarder in Tahoe. He has amazing videos with HERO7 Black. I asked him if he was going to get the HERO8 and he said that he he didn't feel the need since his HERO7 Black worked so great.
I have a co-worker that races RC cars and use a HERO7 Black mounted on his cars. He also uses it for paintball and recording vacations. He has no complaints.

I often see each talk with other surfers and mountain bikers who have and use the HERO7 Black. I've only met one person who said they had an issue with the camera getting hot, but he changed the SD card after taking with GoPro Support and now the camera works fine (He uses it with his Karma drone, hiking, and kayaking).

Sorry to hear that you are having issues.

Hiker

[ New ]

@danielr15 What cards are these people using? I tried a lot of those on the list. But maybe the wrong ones.

Hiker

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:
You spent a lot of time writing without ever directly answering the questions.
I have a HERO7 Black and have been using it 3-4 times a week surfing for well over a year. No issues (purchased the day it came out).
My Son has a HERO7 Black, he uses it frequently for vlogs, hikes, in his Karma drone and Grip and school events.
My brother in law has a HERO7 Black. He uses it frequently to record his child growing up. His son was born just before HERO7 came out and he got it when H7 was released. He's been capturing priceless memories ever since.
My neighbor has a HERO7 Black. He's an avid bicyclist and uses his HERO7 Black pretty much daily.
My old college roommate has a HERO7 Black. He's a snowboarder in Tahoe. He has amazing videos with HERO7 Black. I asked him if he was going to get the HERO8 and he said that he he didn't feel the need since his HERO7 Black worked so great.
I have a co-worker that races RC cars and use a HERO7 Black mounted on his cars. He also uses it for paintball and recording vacations. He has no complaints.

I often see each talk with other surfers and mountain bikers who have and use the HERO7 Black. I've only met one person who said they had an issue with the camera getting hot, but he changed the SD card after taking with GoPro Support and now the camera works fine (He uses it with his Karma drone, hiking, and kayaking).

Sorry to hear that you are having issues.

How did I not answer questions!?  I showed the mem cards and informed you that you cannot upload raw files to gopro support and said I already did all the jumping thorough all the hoops, that includes factory resets and updating to latest FW with SD card manually.

Also I am basing all my "generalizations" going by the reports from gopro users on this forum and on youtube and many other places online. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

I wonder about interference, has any troubleshoot gone into that before you  are saying its clearly a 2nd Defect. that gopro has given you, and declaired your Warranty  out ofdate/expired.  Same boat, warranty is over.

Was Hypersmooth 1.0 turned off and  the ride replicated?  Did the issue still exist with Hypersmooth 1.0 off. Or we are so quick to say Defective, and blame, asking, as i read the pages and no mention, if I missed it or not?

Danielr15  loves his camera, nuff said on that.  For me the list can go on and on with the issues.  I  want to say  the Gyro of the camera, over kill, a lot of vibration, possible electronic interference, you may never know, just a wild guess, before I  say defect.

I again got no problem  showing and telling....

Has any tests been done with EIS off, while on the bike. stationary. etc.  or just this one that  we see, is it all the videos.  Kind of says to me I should go find Some Magnetic field  that you can feel your Body shake and see if that interferes... then start calling people names...

Love  & hate GoPro when it works we love it, when it fails we hate it.  a Bike ride you can always go back on, but not when its a PRICELESS moment and theshot get ruined. especially on vacation and its a bike ride.

If you read deep into the Terms + conditions it is clear they use REFURBISHED UNITS. DEEP into the  plus program. where I read it. 

@bwx232    

Explorer

[ New ]

I'm honestly not trying to insult you, but you are looking at one side and overgeneralizing. Refusing to accept that the vast majority of people DON'T have issues is to ignore the overwhelming popularity and positive reviews, videos, and personal accounts.

As far as cards, I use a Lexar 677X. I also have five SanDisk Extreme but after consistently having issues with one of the five cards and previous issues with SanDisk with my HERO3 Black and then HERO5 Black, I've decided to stop using them (I started using them again with HERO6 Black and didn't have issues).
My son uses Samsung Select. We both only use 32GB and 64GB cards (higher storage capacity cards are more prone to issues). My brother in law also uses the Samsung Select. My co-worker changed from a SanDisk Ultra to a SanDisk Extreme Pro. I'm not sure what the other people are using, but I'll ask around.

Explorer

[ New ]
Can you not upload a file to Dropbox? You did show the cards, but unfortunately I had already started writing so I didn't see the second post, sorry about that.
Adventurer

[ New ]

GoPro removed Samsung off tehir list from  the Hero 2 to Hero 3 time, then they added them back in. Marketing.  I use every card here you see

Yes Even that Ultra, but knowing it will not work well with the newer versions but will work with my hero session. 

sd.png

Adventurer

[ New ]

Damage is Done   Lol

Hiker

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:

I wonder about interference, has any troubleshoot gone into that before you  are saying its clearly a 2nd Defect. that gopro has given you, and declaired your Warranty  out ofdate/expired.  Same boat, warranty is over.

Was Hypersmooth 1.0 turned off and  the ride replicated?  Did the issue still exist with Hypersmooth 1.0 off. Or we are so quick to say Defective, and blame, asking, as i read the pages and no mention, if I missed it or not?

Danielr15  loves his camera, nuff said on that.  For me the list can go on and on with the issues.  I  want to say  the Gyro of the camera, over kill, a lot of vibration, possible electronic interference, you may never know, just a wild guess, before I  say defect.

I again got no problem  showing and telling....

Has any tests been done with EIS off, while on the bike. stationary. etc.  or just this one that  we see, is it all the videos.  Kind of says to me I should go find Some Magnetic field  that you can feel your Body shake and see if that interferes... then start calling people names...

Love  & hate GoPro when it works we love it, when it fails we hate it.  a Bike ride you can always go back on, but not when its a PRICELESS moment and theshot get ruined. especially on vacation and its a bike ride.

If you read deep into the Terms + conditions it is clear they use REFURBISHED UNITS. DEEP into the  plus program. where I read it. 

@bwx232    

Also my GH7B is handled with kid gloves. It has never been dropped.It has never been subject to vibration. It is either hand held or on my helmet or maybe a head band (like a hat cam). It's never been subject to vibration. I feel like it could stop working at any time so I handle it like I would a new born baby except for putting it on my helmet.

It failed exactly the same way my first one did. Worked for several months and then all of the sudden one day started glitching.

And yeah I almost always use Hypersmooth. And almost always shoot 4k 30 superview. I have done minimal testing with other settings but that is why I bought the cam, for those settings.

I am sure I could get this defective, expensive POS to work if I shot in 1080p with no image stabilization.

Also when I turned it on later I was in the menus and the screen went totally green. So it is obviously screwed up.

Interference is a possibility but any chip susceptible to that should be shielded.  Radio waves are everywhere these days, That shouldn't break my $400 gopro.

Hiker

[ New ]

LOL you crack me up. I have not given all my reasons for coming to my conclusions so you cannot possibly know all the reasons I think they are all defective. But yet you have the gall to start throwing around personal insults when you can't handle it.   

I don't think anyone who uses the cams with 4k 30 or god forbid 60 fps and uses superview and hypersmooth on a regular basis will have a camera that works for more than a couple years.

How can you possible explain people getting 4 or 5 or even 6 replacements that all fail in the exact same way? YOU CAN'T.

Adventurer

[ New ]

yes Seen a number of clips. points to a number of things but yet  everyone's issue is different.

Since @danielr15  chimed in and does not have the issue.  And Since @fishycomics  (I) do not have the issue.  All we can do is suggest, and our Suggestions are not helping, then there is really  nothing more for him or I to do. if you like some of my suggestions and chose not to act on them, and made your Decision up that All GoPros are defective,  that is all "You'

The Hero 7 Black  is outdated, with issues:

visit th  site scroll the list of Users including dan with the  Thin red line, using super-view,  he had...  been here long enough to know  not all will get it.......

FISH