Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

This is disappointing and gopro needs to fix this. I just go back from a skiing trip to Colorado. 90% of our ski runs, including videos on the chair lift, start with about 7 seconds of video and then the video freezes and all I have is the sound of wind and voices. Unfortunately, I only have one ski run captured from the entire day. I think this is a cold weather problem, as it was about 20 to 25 degrees F all day, and I've never had this issue when water skiing in the summer.  

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

Same thing here, first time out to Utah to ski...and nothing to show from it.  I had hand warmers in my pocket (it was toasty in there) and kept the battery out of the camera until the top of the lift and then fired it up...the most I managed was 3 minutes out of 35, most of them were under 90 seconds before freezing...real go pro batteries at full charge basically no changes from haphazard push and shoot which is frustrating as heck.  Imagine standing at the top of a chairlift in the wind/snow etc trying to get batteries in and out so I can get a 5 minute clip....hardly what i would call an action camera.  My coworker...had no issues with his $70 akaso camera, after years of gopro loyalty, I will not be making another $400 purchase next time around.

Highlighted
Hiker

It has happened to me on a hot day with freshly charged batteries or running on USB power with and without battery installed so take all this stuff about power and cold with a giant grain of salt. Also has happened to me on 70F days, and cold days, and all temperatures.

Highlighted
Hiker

Agree, it happens in any temperature. Although I need something like GoPro 8 and/or Max it prevents me from buying GoPro untill it is proved the problem is solved. And that common socket for battery and charging in GP8 - if I want to power GP from powerbank during cycling then the camera is fully exposed.

Highlighted
Hiker

My refurb replacement has not done it yet but I have had minimal actual real life testing. But I have used cam about 30 times and it has been good so far with this SD card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FCMKK5X "SanDisk 128GB Extreme MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - C10, U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD - SDSQXA1-128G-GN6MA"

But who knows it might do it again once I start using cam as I did before, mostly on my helmet on my motorcycle which I have only done a few times with this replacement cam.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Last night I filmed a community meeting on my Hero 7, 4K 30fps. About 2 hours long in total with a number of mp4 files approx 4GB
Distraught to find out whilst I have all the audio, i only have 10 seconds of video in the first file, all other files have just one frozen frame.
Have tried endless methods to recover video (every software tool I can find on the net), also handbrake and recover_mp4 and ffmpeg tools using a reference file, but without success. My set up was Hero 7, with external mic and a USB power bank to the mic adapter module. SD card was 128GB Sandisk Extreme V30 U3 A2. Always worked fine in the past.

Seen all the comments and resolutions about updating firmware, issues with SD card etc. But my only concern now is trying to recover the video. Is it all a waste of time? Each 8 min video is 4GB, was hoping this would suggest the data is there but is just in some way corrupted headers or something. Have I lost it?
Highlighted
Tourist

I have read every post here. No one has ever been able to recover the data. I hope someone can say otherwise but unlikely. Sorry....

Highlighted
Tourist

400+ replies later, is there really no fix for this?

Just happened to me today, a whole day of video ruined. I get maybe 30 seconds of video and then 5 minutes of audio.