Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

24 hr time lapse in freezing cold and it worked fine. Battery should be the only thing affected by cold inless it's ridiculously cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1vuvGarAOo     

This cam was a wreck though.. completey defective, constantly freezing up and stabilization was wrecked and never worked right. Got worse and worse as time went on over a year. Did the freezing with still image a lot too in all weather conditions, hot and cold. It Completey flaked out when using mic adapter and would never record reliably with that hooked up. 

Had to send it back finally and got a replacement and that one seems better but cannot test it thoroughly till summer. I usually wear it as a helmet cam on motorcycles, etc..

Checking out the time lapse capabilities of this new GoPro Hero7 Black cam. It does pretty good but didn't find out how to lock white balance in time lapse m...
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

timelapse is not hard on camera its like taking a pic every so often.  4k 60fps, all connections turned on is where it craps out for me

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Yeah but the gopro creates it's own heat.

It'll create a ton more heat shooting 4k video than time lapse, so what can we infer from that?

Cold isn't the problem for the cam, it's the lithium batteries that can't handle the cold and that's a well known fact beyond anything to do with gopro. I'd say run a power bank with large capacity in cold weather for best results. All lithiums will suffer voltage drop in the cold, but lithiums with more capacity will do better because load from gopro isn't taxing them as much in the first place.

I was running off iphone charger for time lapse as even my 18650x 2 powr bank wasn't lasting in that cold. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Has anyone found a solution for this...I am having the exact same problem, go pro 7 black, recordings freeze video after a few minutes even but the audio continues. The only way to get it back on track is to pull the battery, needless to say while skiing...this is inevitably going to end in my GoPro faking off a chairlift or with water damage inside of the case. Notably I never have this problem with time lapse or any other mode other than video recording (even when the other modes have been running for hours). I usually use 2.7k with otherwise default settings. Please advise this is frustrating losing every single clip from a travel ski day, I’m not even going to bother using it tomorrow it’s more useful in the suitcase than on my person
Highlighted
Hiker

@fireybeach33781 wrote:
Has anyone found a solution for this...I am having the exact same problem, go pro 7 black, recordings freeze video after a few minutes even but the audio continues. The only way to get it back on track is to pull the battery, needless to say while skiing...this is inevitably going to end in my GoPro faking off a chairlift or with water damage inside of the case. Notably I never have this problem with time lapse or any other mode other than video recording (even when the other modes have been running for hours). I usually use 2.7k with otherwise default settings. Please advise this is frustrating losing every single clip from a travel ski day, I’m not even going to bother using it tomorrow it’s more useful in the suitcase than on my person

Your camera is defective like probably 80% of them. Who knows what the real number is but seems like a very large percentage of them. Send it back to GoPro because it is a complete useless waste of time trying to make that thing work.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

fireybeach33781,

I mentioned multiple times on this thread that GoPro 7 and 8 firmware has a bug which seems not to tolerate power supply fluctuations. This is not the only cause of your problem, but one of them.

First of all, you do not need to remove battery when GoPro freezes. Simply push and hold power button for more than 6 seconds. The frozen GoPro will shut down. Than you can turn it on.

Second - when you ski and temperature is cold (below freezing) the battery performance will degenerate which may cause GoPro to malfunction (due to the forementioned firmware bug). When you want to ski, you must make sure that battery is warm. The only way to do it is to keep your battery or GoPro with the battery in your jacket inside pocket and pull it out only when you start skiing and recording. When recording the GoPro processor will warm the battery and you may be fine (unless it is really, really cold.

Third - do not use battery when its capacity dips below 30%. The power supply is less stable then and may contribute to problem you see.

Fourth - if it is acceptable to you, lower the recording resolution from 2.7k to 1080. This will offload the processor and make it less prone to freeze due to high power demand.

Fifth - if you use non-genuine battery, all bets are off. GoPro 7 and 8 are known not to handle third party batteries well.

The above may not 100% eliminate the problem you are experiencing, but may significantly reduce the probability of it happening. Try it.

BTW - you can try replacing GoPro through GoPro support but, in my opinion, this will not help. This problem is most likely either with GoPro firmware and/or with GoPro processor design.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Tourist

If there is one word to describe Hero 7, it would be Unreliable.  It freezes video, yet maintains audio, eats up battery for no reason, connectivity to remote is hit or miss.  Very frustrating and annoying that after a day of action filming and the work you thought you had is not there.  The $59 knockoff I had was more reliable.  When you pay close to $500 for a GoPro setup, the minimum expectation is that it works and and my time is not spent trying to figure out their problems.  Was thinking of Hero 8 or 360, not anymore.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hey mate, did you get a resolution to this problem as I have the same issue. I know I have come in late on this thread but I also had my GoPro 7 replaced by the retailer that I bought it from only to have the same issue. I haven't used it since 18 months ago as it basically ruined my whole Thailand trip 🙄