Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

fireycreek08112,

You are absolutely right. Shaking issues in GoPro 7 and GoPro 8 look identical and are not related to battery. Or, to be more specific, I have not seen any proof whatsoever that they are related to power issues, while I have seen plenty of proof that freeze issues (or at least large part of freeze issues observed), are related to quality of power supply and GoPro 7 inability to handle power fluctuations gracefully.

My earlier experiments confirmed it and I concluded that shakiness must be a firmware glitch which is present in both 1.2 version for GoPro 8 and 1.8 version for GoPro 7.

I was also able to reproduce the shaking issue without recording.

I was in the middle of my GoPro 7 tests in the room temperature on a brand new GoPro 8 battery (the one with blue casing around connectors). The camera and battery was well warmed up but not hot. The battery was at 37% which is not a concern when battery is warm. I was checking my recordings and switched to recording mode without pressing record button yet. The picture started to shake. When I pressed record button, the screen went blank and GoPro 7 froze. I needed to do camera reset by holding side button for 10 seconds to get it back to normal operation.

I am thus confident that shaking issue is a firmware glitch. I think we provided plenty of evidence to GoPro developers. Based on this they should be able to fix it. 

Hiker

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

Unbelievable! So it's basically just a Hero7 with updated firmware and different case. It's the same exact type of problem.

Do you remember what kind of SD card you were using?

@fireycreek08112 wrote:

In case someone is wondering, here is GoPro hero 8 shakiness:

https://youtu.be/pgjWdB8aDPU?t=120

https://youtu.be/AhkaFQkcDBI?t=247

I used to think it was battery related, but Video 1 happened probably about 20 minutes in and it recorded this way for another 25 minutes so my guess is that it was a bit over 50% when it started happening

Also, Video 1 is original hero 8 battery too

Hiker

[ New ]

bmx232,

Mine experienced shakiness on GoPro approved, tested and recommended card - SanDisk Extreme microSD XC 1, V30, U3.

The same one their support asked you to buy :-). I mentioned to you, they are on a fishing trip trying to convince people that something else beside their own h/w, firmware is at fault. It is not the case. 

GoPro has problems which cannnot be addressed by changing SD card or battery in at least two areas:

- shakiness

- overheating

I believe shakiness can be fixed in firmware. I do not know if overheating can be fixed in firmware - perhaps, or perhaps just bad processor design.

I could not prove, in my experiments on my GoPro 7, that freeze issues are unrelated to power supply. In my case, there was a strong and 100% connection between quality of power supply (e.i. various batteries in various tmperature conditions) and video freeze with audio. Again - I do acknowledge that your experience may be different and that my advice does not help in your case.

Tourist

[ New ]

This is killing me right now! I'm putting together a video and found that just about ALL MY SHOTS are effected by this **bleep** bug. I've got example after example of footage with a frozen screen and recorded audio UGH!!!!!

Sadly, one of my subscribers looked to me for support on a camera to buy. He's wife wanted to buy him an 8 and I told him to have her save the money. Get the 7 if anything and be careful of this bug we are all having!

I can't believe I'm doing this right now but I have a video shot at a bike shop tonight and I'm packing up the GoPro Silver Hero 4's and leaving the 7 and 8 at home! WTH!!!! All that money put into these cameras and I simply don't feel confident using them. 

Such a shame!

Tourist

[ New ]

I have just purchased the Hero 8 Black and I am having exactly the same issues as discussed here, I used it today for a Cross Country running race, what I have noticed that on the fifth file Hypersmooth Boost comes off and on the sixth file it continues with Boost off then freezes on a video frame and the audio continues.

The remaining files are also frozen on one video frame, but audio is ok, camera set 2.7k 50fps on Linear, I did run the camera until the battery was flat and the battery is the new blue GoPro battery for the Hero 8.

Hiker

[ New ]

@simonr004 wrote:

I have just purchased the Hero 8 Black and I am having exactly the same issues as discussed here, I used it today for a Cross Country running race, what I have noticed that on the fifth file Hypersmooth Boost comes off and on the sixth file it continues with Boost off then freezes on a video frame and the audio continues.

The remaining files are also frozen on one video frame, but audio is ok, camera set 2.7k 50fps on Linear, I did run the camera until the battery was flat and the battery is the new blue GoPro battery for the Hero 8.

Seems as though no matter what SD card you use, support will just blame the SD card or battery, or anything else besides a design flaw or defect in camera.

Hiker

[ New ]
2.7k 50 fps in Linear mode is very processor intensive. I suggested before that one should not run below 20 to 30 % of battery power capacity left. Gopro processor seems to be very sensitive to variations of power supply and li ion batteries are less stable when depleted.
I do not believe this is SD card issue although I would suggest to always use gopro approved cards. Also, use G
opro genuine batteries but do not run them flat. Replace with fully loaded one when capacity drops below 30%.
Yes, I know that this is not how it is supposed to work and it is a nuisance, but Gopro 7 and 8 do have a firmware or processor problem which Gopro cannot or is unwilling to address. So we need to do our best to increase our chances of good recordings. For me at least, what I suggested works well.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks Toughpike what you have explained makes a lot of sense, I have only had the camera a few days, I will experiment further but it is somewhat disappointing that this is known issue and on their newest camera, Cheers

Hiker

[ New ]

It happened to me while battery was at over 80%, also happened with no battery and running on USB, happened with both new Gopro batteries (all I ever used), also happened with USB power with battery in. Also happened with 3 different mem cards - all on supported list.

Tourist

[ New ]

i got notification on my phone that GoPro relaesed a new firmware for Hero 7 and 8.

Their firmware page hasnt been updated but now my hero 7 is updated to v1.9 and 8 is updated to v1.5

Changelog right before initiating the update just said bug fixes for Hero 7. Didn't include exactly what it's fixing

Hero 8 was enabling hypersmooth 2.0 in 4k60 linear or something + bug fixes.

I will see if i have time to do any testing but where I live, the weather isn't looking so good for next few days.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Yes this was nov 20th Hero 7 and nov 25th hero 8. they found something, should they offer the real truth, NO!.  More or less fixed a bug  people had, maybe the APP needs info for GPS that hte Hero  7 and Hero 8 missed on etc,  never ever will we know.  you thought your hero7 get the Hero 8 firmware  stuff Lol I get that   Just kidding.

Hiker

[ New ]

I will be interested to know if any froum members reporting previously on freeze with audio problem can still reproduce this issue with v1.9 firmware for Hero 7. New firmware is available on GoPro Web page. Unfortunately I cannot repeat my tests and see if anything improved since I recycled the batteries with which I experienced this issue, and my Hero 7 does not experience this issue on genuine new GoPro batteries.

Yes - it is too bad that Release notes say only "General bug fixes". This is bad PR given amount of serious issues this camera experiences. But, perhaps, the bugs they fixed are some small issues not worthy of mentioning?

The four issues which I have noticed with firmware version 1.8 and earlier which I consider serious (they all have been reported with Hero 8 as well):

• Freeze of video recording while audio keeps recording (this is worst one since there is no notification to the user that something is wrong unless he/she looks at the screen). 
  • General camera freeze when doing some actions (requires hard reboot).
  • Unreliable shut-off of the camera - sometimes it takes very long time for camera to turn off after pressing side button.
  • Uncontrollable and random shake of image and recording.
Adventurer

[ New ]

I call those card related.  And I call the shut down normal.   but always good to hear what others think (smiles)

Hiker

[ New ]

fishycomics,

It is not what others think - it is what others experienced :-).

While wrong or bad SD card can certainly contribute to the freeze problems, these issue do exist and have been reproduced by me with GoPro approved cards (SanDisk Extreme) which GoPro sells. I also reproduced them using several different cards so damaged card as a source of the problem is out of question. See my posts from few weeks ago - I described my experience in detail after few weeks of very careful and extended tests.

Shut down delays are also not normal. In Hero 5 shutdown was quick and consistent - about 3 seconds. Push and hold the side button for a second or two, red light blinks, camera shuts dow. In Hero 7 and 8 it is totally inconsistent. It is a known problem, Sometimes shut down is quick - as it should be, sometimes it takes 10-15 seconds, sometimes camera does not shut down at all. You can no longer trust it. I found myself pushing side button and waiting for screen to go off. Otherwise you may end up with depleted battery since GoPro did not shut down when you thought it would.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@toughpike5712 wrote:

fishycomics,

1. It is not what others think - it is what others experienced :-).

I said I like to hear what others think. Lol So I'll say it your way , I like to hear others Experiences.  (smiles)

2. While wrong or bad SD card can certainly contribute to the freeze problems, these issue do exist and have been reproduced by me with GoPro approved cards (SanDisk Extreme) which GoPro sells.

Dump the Sandisk cards gopro offers, they are not  thop of the Line. use a card that  you prefer that is trouble free, and that I personally used  PNY, Samsung, and the Samsung is trouble free today. May not be your preference  but it's mine. the higher the priced card  does not mean  the best card.  Testing, Observing are what we do and what  I find works  may not for you. (smiles).

3. I also reproduced them using several different cards so damaged card as a source of the problem is out of question. See my posts from few weeks ago - I described my experience in detail after few weeks of very careful and extended tests.

Understood your cards work for other devices, just not for GoPro, and they should work for all, new or old. those days are now gone,  As the companies find ways to up the game on how to force people to updated products. Like win XP.  that old saying "if it ain't Broke , don't fix it."

4. Shut down delays are also not normal. In Hero 5 shutdown was quick and consistent - about 3 seconds. Push and hold the side button for a second or two, red light blinks, camera shuts dow. In Hero 7 and 8 it is totally inconsistent. It is a known problem, Sometimes shut down is quick - as it should be, sometimes it takes 10-15 seconds, sometimes camera does not shut down at all. You can no longer trust it. I found myself pushing side button and waiting for screen to go off. Otherwise you may end up with depleted battery since GoPro did not shut down when you thought it would.

A shut down goes through steps, if the card   is buffering the shut down delays.  Headers are being processed .   you want what to close in  three seconds no matter what, what if  that  video is dumping off the Ram, and you forced off there goes the file.  And you say oh it got the repair program. Like said  its doing something and can be card related, memory related no one but gopro knows that real answer. I know if I   turn on and off we will get 3 secs or 15 seconds. you're  telling the camera to rush while its doing it's thing.

thought I reapply to your comment . love to hear what others experience (wink).  My opinion IMHO (in my humble Oinion)   GoPro can you answer for these issues z.....

I like to hear not what others think. so I am  listening to their issues. of what they experienced.

Hiker

[ New ]

fishycomics,

Interesting exchange of information :-).

Through this topic I found that different forum members have different experiences. Some point at SD cards, some at batteries, some at firmware issues. I did extensive tests and, in my case, all GoPro trouble experiences were related to stability of power supply. I described all my steps in excrutiating detail on pages 41 and 42 of this thread. Again - I stress - in my case. However, my findings have been confirmed by few forum members (and dispelled by others :-)).

I do not experience any problems with SanDisk Extreme cards on GoPro Hero 7 when I use new genuine GoPro batteries or when I use very stable power supply such as Karma Grip or USB directly from A/C power adapter. I also did not have any problems with other cards (such as SanDisk Plus) which are not recommended but are fast enough. I experienced problems only and repeatedly when using older generic batteries especially when they were depleted or frozen. Yes - I did freeze my genuine GoPro batteries and Karma Grip as well but could not reproduce the issues outside of graceful camera shutdown when batteries were below 20%-30% capacity and frozen.  

This is why, in my case, I do not relate these issues to SD cards I use. They work just fine with my Hero 7.

Some forum members swear by Samsung cards, but others actually have problems with Samsung and switched to SanDisk - these various experiences are described in this thread earlier. This points to something fishy with how GoPro handles SDs.

As far as shut down. I am not talking about shutdown when camera is still working on finishing video transfer from RAM. I am talking about turning down camera when recording is done and all is finished. I am aware of the delay between stopping recording and camera still working on file clean-up and completion. As a matter fo fact, during my test, I observed automatic gracefull shutdowns, which are normal, when camera senses that it can no longer work properly on depleted / cold battery and automatically finishes recording, completes file transfer, beeps letting user know that it is done and then turns itself off to avoid file damage. Some forum members reported this is a bug - it is not. It is a good design feature.

Back to manual turning camera off. Hero 5 worked fine - no issues. I used exactly the same SD cards. Hero 7 is flakey. It is more or less random, although, in majority of cases it turns off fast. When a user turns off the camera manually after camera was not doing any recording or SD card was not accessed for viewing videos, there is not much to do. There may be some quick automatic check of a card status but this should be very fast. It was fast with Hero 5. Something changed with Hero 7 and 8 - multiple forum members and GoPro reviewers have noticed considerable and random delays. And, as I mentioned, sometimes camera simply does not turn off. I push the side button for  two seconds, camera flashes red light and beeps acknowledging that it is turning off and ... nothing. It stays powered on.

I suspect that GoPro started to have these issues with a new processor they introduced with Hero 6. I have no proof since I do not have Hero 6 nor did I follow Hero 6 issues. But Hero 7 and 8 display very similar problems with the same procesor design and probably very similar firmware.

I will carefully observe this thread for any confirmation that new firmware version continues to experience the same glitches. Hopefully not, but I will not hold my breath :-).

Cheers.

Adventurer

[ New ]
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Adventurer

[ New ]

If you can get a GoPro team member here to answer that question of in the video why did my gopro   fail to  turn off correctly on the  beginning of the vlip We all love to hear what  their answer will be.   We are sorry you are experiencing this issue, please contact a gopro Customer service Rep tehy be morethen happy to troubleshoot the concern and find a resolution and options for you?  Meanwhile I go about   having fun with my camera.

Hiker

[ New ]

What about when you turn camera on, nothing on SD card, and then turn it off. Sometimes it takes 15 seconds, sometimes it is instant.. Etc. That has nothing to do with video files since there is no video.

Also Gopro support said I should get a Sandisk Extreme so I did. I got my replacement refurbished used camera and it has been fine so far (real world test only once)- It did fail to record once when I was using it with mic adapter but not sure what happened there, might have been user error might be problem with cam not sure..   But when testing on HD TUNE, the new card is always worse than old card.. Sometimes with very big slow-downs.

I think gopro use the SD cards as an excuse for all gopro problems. Guy on phone was telling me every single problem was because of SD cards. I think it's a pig pile of steaming **** excuse from gopro, especially if the cards you are using are on THEIR LIST, that THEY MADE.. LOL

sandisk vs samsung sd card final.jpg
Explorer

[ New ]
SD cards do matter and no two cards are exactly alike. I have five SanDisk Extreme v30 cards. One causes freezing, one gives me occasional lock ups and seems to run hotter and drain battery, and the other three work perfectly fine.

Why?
Hiker

[ New ]

"Seem to"?   Maybe you need to do some scientific testing to find out. For me, in all my testing and significant use of camera, a defective camera makes the differeence.  All cards I have act the same in the cameras, the difference is in the camera, and the firmwares.

Switch out the camera, camera acts different, with same exact cards as in old camera that used to flip out and do all the things these crappy unreliable cameras do.  🤷‍♂️

Explorer

[ New ]
Yes, seems to. And no, I don't need to do any "scientific" testing. It's pretty simple. If I don't use those two cards, my camera works fine. Problem solved. If you think all cards (same make/model/size) perform the exact same, you are woefully mistaken.

Anyway, glad to hear your exchange camera is working fine. Have you done the most recent update? It might improve performance even more. I don't know, I haven't had any issues, but apparently GoPro was able to make some performance improvements.
Hiker

[ New ]

I did do update but not tested yet.  And I think you maybe had a couple defective or perhaps counterfeit  cards. If the cards are real and in working order, they should work pretty much the same! I realize there are differences in skews/ batches, etc.. and whatnot, but that shouldn't make one card incompatible with the camera.

I think gopro just use it as a blanket excuse for all the problems these buggy gopros have.  It is obvious to me now that there are major design and/or quality control issues with H7B and H8B cameras.  I think if you get a good one that works reliably, you are very lucky!

It took about a month to exchange the cam, gopro are very, very slow to send out replacement after they receive yours. I think it took them almost two weeks. The one they gave me back was all in French, has a spec of something behind camera lens glass, and is in worse condition than the pristine new one I sent to them (I try to take care of my stuff).. 

Hiker

[ New ]

danielr15,

You write: If you think all cards (same make/model/size) perform the exact same, you are woefully mistaken.

If your statement were true, the technological civilization as we know it, would not exist. 

SD card technology is relatively simple and if we could not trust that, we could not trust anything.

Yes - SD cards may cause problems in three scenarios:

• they are from some cheap manufacturer whose technological processes are questionable, or
  • they do not meet read/write speed requirements of the camera manufacturer, or
  • they are bad/damaged

Bad cards do happen, but it happens rarely. Two cards which behave weirdly you mentioned in your post may be such case. Simple bad luck. Some people are striken by lightening twice :-).

Tourist

[ New ]

so mine does that too,  I too use the samsung evo plus card. my suspicion is that its either the card or I had my android app connected w when this happen

Hiker

[ New ]
Zbysior,

Did you update your firmware to 1.9?
Tourist

[ New ]

yes

Hiker

[ New ]
Ok. So we know now that these issues have not been fixed with new update.
In my case, I can not reproduce freezing with audio when I use new genuine Gopro batteries or when I am on Karma Grip. If you are on generic no Gopro batteries or your batteries are old, try new genuine Gopro batteries and see if this helps.
Tourist

[ New ]

so Im testing my sd card (samsung evo select) now and it shows reading speed of 17.8 writing speed 9.9 so maybe i do have a crappy/fake sd card. ill keep testing.  

Hiker

[ New ]
Yes - these speeds are definitely too low for 4k recording and could cause camera freeze.

So back to square one. No reliable reports yet that freeze issues still exist with new firmware (assuming good card and good battery).
Tourist

[ New ]

Im not sure if my low speeds were not caused by old sd card adapter, i was getting different speeds using different machines.   but you brought up an interesting point about the battery, I did have a cheap, not original battery in this time.  so thats also a possibility.  I just ordered a new sd card sandisk extreme u3   a2 v30.  if that doesnt help than i gotto test batteries...  **bleep** this is a project. cheers

Hiker

[ New ]
On pages 41 and 42 of this thread I did 3 posts describing my battery tests plus other power supply sources tests. Check it out. It may help.
Gopro 7 firmware does not seem to tolerate less stable power supply.
Tourist

[ New ]

definetly will, thanks 

Hiker

[ New ]

I can confirm that the freezing issue still occurs aftrer the lates update.

I have tried 2 different SD cards (both recommended by GoPro) and the issues are identicle.

Tourist

[ New ]

Since the new firmware has not helped us I really have no other option but to look for another camera to use. Right now I'm working with AKASO and their cameras. They have a new Brave 7 LE camera coming out. I'm not posting this here to be a jerk to GoPro but heck folks, we've all spent a bunch of money on our cameras and not getting any help! This new camera from AKASO is waterproof and looks pretty nice. It might not have all the features of the GoPro but if my video freezes all the time, what's the use? OK, here comes the tag line HAHAHAHA!

"You don't have to be a Hero, but you can still be Brave"

All the best my friends and I hope you can find some answers.

Gene

Tourist

[ New ]

This has been happenign to me for a while. I'm using Batmax battries as well as a couple go-pro ones. I do feel that it happens with the batmax and not with the go-pro but haven't tracked it long enough. Anyone have this issue happen while using Go-Pro specific batteries?

Hiker

[ New ]

I had it happen with the orig GP batt.  My other offbrand bats work fine.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, and others have reported this happening with GoPro batteries too. It seems to happen when the battery gets close or below 30% charge from what people are explaining. The more you stress the camera the less time you get to record so a lot of us are pretty much turning off all the extra features and hope it just records video without bombing on us :-(

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm experiencing the same issues as everyone else. After reading through 49 pages on this topic that spans more than a year, I'm extremely disappointed there is no clear root cause or solution. I bought a GoPro because I thought the name brand would be more reliable and easier to use. An action camera you can't rely on recording isn't very useful. I feel duped and wish I didn't spend a premium on something that is not reliable. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@justinv26, sorry to hear about the trouble. If in case you continue to have the freeze-up issues with the camera after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps here, using different recommended SD cards and redoing the software update, please contact our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs so they can assist you on the next steps. 

Tourist

[ New ]

This troubleshooting steps listed are for when the GoPro itself is freezing. Clearly the support we get doesn't even understand the issue at hand!

I've had 5 GoPro's over the years, this will be my last one.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Yea. No response would have been less agrevating. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Has anyone figured out how to fix/recover the video if this happens?

Hiker

[ New ]

Is no one at GoPro responding to this issue. Have they admitted this is a generic fault.

It happens with my GoPro battery in. It happens with my GoPro battery out & pugged in to power via USB

It happens on Both of the SD cards (Samsung & ScanDisk) that they recommended.

Yesterday I got 18 mins before it froze (battery in).

Today this piece of S froze after 1 min 17 secs (Battery out.) I came home to 4 hours of exciting noises, but I could only imaging what was going on.

My Hero 3. What a great device. Shot 30,000 hours with a glitch

Adventurer

[ New ]

Adminstrators  and Modorators are support for the website, more or less they can only answeer the simple issues at hand. got a card issue. they'll point a written article  out and suggest trying that.  They will not get into Depth of hte issue and why.  They will clearly  say they passed your issue along to a specialist that will get a answer for you.......  and that ends that.

And if the camera is at issue  they will simply refer you to  the Customer service again,  More or less  We all are dealing with a receptionist here, and that is all they are allowed to answer, that is their Job assignment to point and direct, nothing more.  We the Owners can cry the blues to Earths End, we are 50 posts in not a single fix

FISH

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is **bleep**ing infuriating.  I have been using GoPros since the Hero 3, and none of them have been doing this.  I purchased this Hero 7 Black last year, and when I went out west half of my footage was ruined.  I bought a new memory card, updated my firmware, and had the same **bleep** happen over new years.  4-6 clips in a row, the video freezes and the audio continues.

How the hell are they doing absolutely nothing about this?  

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi, So many problems with gopro 7 black and gopro staff who don't assume anything in spite of evidence. I don't use this camera anymore and won't buy any Gopro in the future !!!

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same problem with my Hero 7 Black. Im using  128GB Micro SDXC 160Mb/S 4K Class 10 A2 V30

Hiker

[ New ]

I guess the DJI Osmo is a pretty good alternative.. 🤷‍♂️

At least it is a lot more reliable.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Thanks, I will look into that.  **bleep** GoPro for not fixing or acknowledging this issue; I will be switching action cam companies and I will be telling all of my friends to do the same.