Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

What about when you turn camera on, nothing on SD card, and then turn it off. Sometimes it takes 15 seconds, sometimes it is instant.. Etc. That has nothing to do with video files since there is no video.

Also Gopro support said I should get a Sandisk Extreme so I did. I got my replacement refurbished used camera and it has been fine so far (real world test only once)- It did fail to record once when I was using it with mic adapter but not sure what happened there, might have been user error might be problem with cam not sure..   But when testing on HD TUNE, the new card is always worse than old card.. Sometimes with very big slow-downs.

I think gopro use the SD cards as an excuse for all gopro problems. Guy on phone was telling me every single problem was because of SD cards. I think it's a pig pile of steaming **** excuse from gopro, especially if the cards you are using are on THEIR LIST, that THEY MADE.. LOL

sandisk vs samsung sd card final.jpg
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

SD cards do matter and no two cards are exactly alike. I have five SanDisk Extreme v30 cards. One causes freezing, one gives me occasional lock ups and seems to run hotter and drain battery, and the other three work perfectly fine.

Why?
Highlighted
Hiker

"Seem to"?   Maybe you need to do some scientific testing to find out. For me, in all my testing and significant use of camera, a defective camera makes the differeence.  All cards I have act the same in the cameras, the difference is in the camera, and the firmwares.

Switch out the camera, camera acts different, with same exact cards as in old camera that used to flip out and do all the things these crappy unreliable cameras do.  🤷‍♂️

Highlighted
Explorer

Yes, seems to. And no, I don't need to do any "scientific" testing. It's pretty simple. If I don't use those two cards, my camera works fine. Problem solved. If you think all cards (same make/model/size) perform the exact same, you are woefully mistaken.

Anyway, glad to hear your exchange camera is working fine. Have you done the most recent update? It might improve performance even more. I don't know, I haven't had any issues, but apparently GoPro was able to make some performance improvements.
Highlighted
Hiker

I did do update but not tested yet.  And I think you maybe had a couple defective or perhaps counterfeit  cards. If the cards are real and in working order, they should work pretty much the same! I realize there are differences in skews/ batches, etc.. and whatnot, but that shouldn't make one card incompatible with the camera.

I think gopro just use it as a blanket excuse for all the problems these buggy gopros have.  It is obvious to me now that there are major design and/or quality control issues with H7B and H8B cameras.  I think if you get a good one that works reliably, you are very lucky!

It took about a month to exchange the cam, gopro are very, very slow to send out replacement after they receive yours. I think it took them almost two weeks. The one they gave me back was all in French, has a spec of something behind camera lens glass, and is in worse condition than the pristine new one I sent to them (I try to take care of my stuff).. 

Highlighted
Hiker

danielr15,

You write: If you think all cards (same make/model/size) perform the exact same, you are woefully mistaken.

If your statement were true, the technological civilization as we know it, would not exist. 

SD card technology is relatively simple and if we could not trust that, we could not trust anything.

Yes - SD cards may cause problems in three scenarios:

• they are from some cheap manufacturer whose technological processes are questionable, or
  • they do not meet read/write speed requirements of the camera manufacturer, or
  • they are bad/damaged

Bad cards do happen, but it happens rarely. Two cards which behave weirdly you mentioned in your post may be such case. Simple bad luck. Some people are striken by lightening twice :-).

Highlighted
Tourist

so mine does that too,  I too use the samsung evo plus card. my suspicion is that its either the card or I had my android app connected w when this happen

Highlighted
Hiker

Zbysior,

Did you update your firmware to 1.9?