Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

This is continuation of two posts above.

My advice:

• If you did not do it already, factory reset your camera and manually update to newest firmware (1.8).
  • Use only GoPro recommended micro SD cards.
  • Recycle all your batteries which are old (two years of good use is old for a battery), especially when they start showing instability in low temperatures (btw, performance of all batteries does deteriorate with age and with temperature).
  • If possible, invest in GoPro batteries – they aren’t as expensive as they used to be and probably not much more expensive that generics you may use.
  • When filming in higher resolution and higher frame rates (4k/60; 2.7/60fps) turn off everything which uses power in your camera (of course, if viable). These include:
    • WiFi connectivity
    • GPS
    • Voice commands
    • Low Light processing
    • Landscape Lock (turn Up or down – not auto)
    • Protune if you don’t need it (I do, so I keep it on).
    • Change MP4+HVEC recording to HVEC only (but confirm first that your PC supports HVEC – some don’t).
  • Use Karma Grip if you have it and it is a viable option for a given shoot.
  • Make sure that you allow your camera to cool down between lengthy shots. As mentioned above, hot camera will gracefully shut down to protect batteries. If you are on Karma Grip this is not a problem if you remove battery from GoPro.
  • Make sure that you keep your batteries warm when filming in very cold weather. Keep it inside your jacket when skiing and put into camera just before you start shooting. If you are continuously shooting in cold weather, there is no problem, camera and batteries warm up, but if you stop shooting, and keep your battery in camera on your helmet while skiing for half a day in freezing temperatures all bets are off.
  • Related to the above – if shooting in very low temperatures, do not use a battery when its capacity starts dropping below 30%. Replace with a fully charged and warm one.

I do not claim that these will solve all the problems people encounter with Go Pro 7. After all, there may be some really faulty cameras out there and, as I mentioned above, this camera h/w and f/w has design flaws.

If what I said above does not help, talk to GoPro Support or, if you found something which helped you, share with this community.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ Edited ]

Last time I tried to use Gopro was using mic adapter, hypersmooth, 4k, superview on FW 1.80 and EVERY SINGLE video was screwed up because of that stability glitch. Was not hot out, was on a bumpy little minibike.  It only did that very occasionally before 1.80

Vid @ 2:43   https://youtu.be/4XqIMldG2Ts?t=2m43s

and @ 13.55  https://youtu.be/4XqIMldG2Ts?t=13m35s

Every single recording was messed up that day. If it doesn't do that it freezes.  Gopro Hero7 Black is defective.

I finally sent it back, now Gopro will not send me the refurb replacment either.

When I call to ask why their excuse is that UPS won't come pick it up at the warehhouse. 

Indian guy (from India) kept saying that over and over again. Waiting for UPS, waiting for UPS.. It's at the warehouse.

They blame "the warehouse" and UPS.  Like UPS only come once a month or something..

Great customer service. Gopro is a joke!

gopro tracking.png

Top speed hit 11:15 - GPS Top Speed Runs and Test Ride. Coleman CT200U Mini Bike modded with torque converter, Predator 212 Hemi "Stage One", 9 tooth front, ...
Top speed hit 11:15 - GPS Top Speed Runs and Test Ride. Coleman CT200U Mini Bike modded with torque converter, Predator 212 Hemi "Stage One", 9 tooth front, ...
Highlighted
Hiker

@toughpike5712  a écrit :

This is continuation of two posts above.

My advice:

• If you did not do it already, factory reset your camera and manually update to newest firmware (1.8).
  • Use only GoPro recommended micro SD cards.
  • Recycle all your batteries which are old (two years of good use is old for a battery), especially when they start showing instability in low temperatures (btw, performance of all batteries does deteriorate with age and with temperature).
  • If possible, invest in GoPro batteries – they aren’t as expensive as they used to be and probably not much more expensive that generics you may use.
  • When filming in higher resolution and higher frame rates (4k/60; 2.7/60fps) turn off everything which uses power in your camera (of course, if viable). These include:
    • WiFi connectivity
    • GPS
    • Voice commands
    • Low Light processing
    • Landscape Lock (turn Up or down – not auto)
    • Protune if you don’t need it (I do, so I keep it on).
    • Change MP4+HVEC recording to HVEC only (but confirm first that your PC supports HVEC – some don’t).
  • Use Karma Grip if you have it and it is a viable option for a given shoot.
  • Make sure that you allow your camera to cool down between lengthy shots. As mentioned above, hot camera will gracefully shut down to protect batteries. If you are on Karma Grip this is not a problem if you remove battery from GoPro.
  • Make sure that you keep your batteries warm when filming in very cold weather. Keep it inside your jacket when skiing and put into camera just before you start shooting. If you are continuously shooting in cold weather, there is no problem, camera and batteries warm up, but if you stop shooting, and keep your battery in camera on your helmet while skiing for half a day in freezing temperatures all bets are off.
  • Related to the above – if shooting in very low temperatures, do not use a battery when its capacity starts dropping below 30%. Replace with a fully charged and warm one.

I do not claim that these will solve all the problems people encounter with Go Pro 7. After all, there may be some really faulty cameras out there and, as I mentioned above, this camera h/w and f/w has design flaws.

If what I said above does not help, talk to GoPro Support or, if you found something which helped you, share with this community.

Good luck!

Vraiment une grand merci à toi d'avoir pris le temps de faire ce récapitulatif mais malheureusement même avec tes précaunisations, j'ai des freezes.

Je ne fait donc plus confiance à ma GoPro 7 Black ni à GoPro d'ailleurs tellement ils sont de mauvaise foi à ne pas reconnaitre que ya forcément un problème après 3 GP7B qui ont les mêmes symptomes avec les meilleures carte SD et batteries du marché.

J'attends la version 2 de DJI Action...

Highlighted
Hiker

No puedes salir con una cámara que no confías, no te puedes arriesgar. Cuando es algo importante lo que tienes que grabar no puedes confiar en el azar. No compré la cámara para eso. Una cámara de este tipo es intolerable que tengas que estar así. Calentando las baterías si hace frío..calentar antes las baterías.etc.... y aún así puede fallar. La grabación es fruto del azar.
para grabaciones profesionales no sirve. Me siento mal al venderla porque pienso que estoy engañando a alguien.
Necesito una cámara profesional, que me de un mínimo de seguridad.
Highlighted
Hiker

bwx232,

Sorry to hear about your issues with GoPro and UPS. This is clearly unacceptable. Unfortunately, poor support and firmware issues are a norm in our high tech society. I for one, do a lot of photo and videography using a lot of digital equipment (drones included) and see similar issues on various support forums on daily basis. Shame on the companies which have a lot of debug data coming for free from their user groups and who do not do enough to support their users as they should.  

Yes - shakiness of the image has been reproduced by me as well (albeit only once) and it happened while I was on GoPro genuine batteries with 37% capacity in room temperature. This proves that this particular problem has nothing to do with GoPro 7 susceptability to battery power fluctuations and quality.

The rest of this message is generic, to anybody experiencing shakiness issue (it won't help bwx232 since he is waiting for his refurbished camera).

I never saw this problem before upgrading to 1.8 and, it seems, other users report that it started happening when they upgraded to 1.8.

If this is really the case (if the problem was introduced by GoPro in the latest firmware update), the best course of action for anybody experiencing it after upgrade would be to downgrade back to the previous version of firmware. Unfortunately I was not able to find a site on internet which stores older versions of GoPro firmware (APK Mirror which specializes in such thing does not have it). However, if you downloaded earlier version to update you GoPro before, the chances are, it is still in your Downloads folder or, even if you deleted it, in your Trash can,

GoPro does not support downgrades of their own firmware but, if they can't help, we need to take action into our own hands. To downgrade GoPro firmware you need to do camera factory reset and than manual update with older version. The only potential problem is, you probably cannot downgrade to earlier version than the one that came with the camera (the one which loads during factory reset).

Downgrading to version earlier than 1.8 should not make freeze with audio issues worse. These issues existed before 1.8 and were not fixed with 1.8. I experienced them before upgrading to 1.8 as did many of the members of this forum. So 1.8 did not fix anything I have noticed, yet may have broken picture stabilization.

And lastly, my quick message to GoPro.

Please double check what you did in 1.8. If your changes cause shakiness issue, it should be childishly easy to fix - after all you know exactly what you did in this version of firmware. The community is anxiously awaiting your fixes.  And no, I would never recommend to anyone to buy GoPro 8 - why throw good money after the bad and what guarantee do we have that you did anything better while you seem not to do much about current problems reported to you for the past year?

Highlighted
Tourist

So... I posted few months ago in this thread.

I have the GoPro Hero7. It used to have freezing issue like everyone else. I updated the firmware to 1.8. The freezing went away, but shakiness started happening like everyone else. I dont think either one is better since neither of them are usable footage.

I purchased the GoPro Hero 8. Tested it on 2 hours bike ride.... and sorry to disappoint you all, Hero 8 has the shakiness problem as well.

My "work around" is just taking shorter videos. Many of this issue happened for me for longer videos. Freezing happened randomly but shakiness seems to happen for videos longer than 20 - 30 minutes.

Highlighted
Tourist

@toughpike5712 I want to thank you for all your testing and taking the time to post your results. I'm going to agree with you on your findings and plan to try out some of your solutions. 

Personally I do feel that I have more things running on my GoPro then I need to. That being said, I didn't think I would have to pick and choice! Smiley Sad

The GoPro 8 will arrive today and I'll see how that works out. Honestly I'm not really expecting any better performance out if it. If anything, this new GoPro is doing even more processing and I'm worried that the issue of freezing video will be worse!

I ordered an extra battery with my GoPro 8 purchase as well as 4 extra aftermarket batteries. 

Here is a link to the batteries I ordered.

These batteries look to have a higher mah rating and I hope that extra juice can keep the camera rolling longer. I have no idea as of this post if the GoPro 8 will see these batteries as GoPro 8 exceptable ones. I'll post back my findings here.

Highlighted
Hiker

Good to know about shakiness issue in GoPro 8. I guess their v1.2 firmware has the same glitch as GoPro 7 1.8 firmware.

This is warning to people who think that simply buying new version of camera will help. It may, but it may not. That's why I said I would not recommend buying GoPro 8 (not at this early stage anyway) and potentially throwing good money after bad. In my opinion, it is better to experiment and see if we can improve what we already have and if we can force GoPro to fix the issues in firmware. At the same time observing GoPro 8 forum for any potential problems reported with this new camera.

In GoPro 7, shakiness could develop in any stage of filming. I reproduced it at the very start of filming. Some reported it to happen in the middle of filming. Random stuff. Problem with firmware. You are lucky with your findings that GoPro 8 seems to develop shakiness in longer films and that it could be avoided, at least in your case, by taking shorter clips.

Also, if freezing went away with GoPro 8, it may corraborate my theory about GoPro 7 susceptability to battery quality and power fluctuations which may have been corrected in GoPro 8. I say, may have been, since your one example does not prove that issue will not emerge for other users of GoPro 8 later.

A food for thought - GoPro 5 seemed to be solid, not too many problems. Starting with GoPro 6, GoPro introduced its own custom system on a chip. Did this contribute to the issues we see today in GoPro 7 and 8? Perhaps. 

Yes - very frustrating. But will dumping GoPro alltogether help either? If anybody is itching to buy new DJI Osmo action camera as a replacement for GoPro, do your reserach first and, perhaps, wait few months until we all get better understanding about potential issues with that one as well. I have seen it too many times - issues, complaints, change of equipment and see plethora of other issues. Round and round we go :-(.