Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

Mate ive had the go pro 4 silver snd black

Ive still got a session 4 session 5 perfect

2 go pro 5 blacks perfect

1 go pro black 7 pile of toss! 

got the karma grip you no that gimbal they made with the go pro 5 then realesed the gopro 6 12 month later with built in gimbal haha wankers of a firm!!!

I was tempted to sell the 7 and get a 8 but they can **bleep** off i want my money back for the 7 then i can choose if i give there 8 a chance or go to dji!

GO PRO are thiefs!

Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

Here's the deal though, I just went over to Amazon to check out the DJI Osmo and the first few posts are all from ticked off people! So now I have to wonder if anyone can make a solid product? Sony? 

Tourist

[ New ]

go pro hero 4 and go pro 5 black since then there all **bleep** mate!

Tourist

[ New ]

Ive just been looking at all the faults on the go pro 8 black Smiley LOL

Why do they think its ok to release these camera when they obvs aint fit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJxTW0sthwI

Hiker

[ New ]
DJI es la mejor opción.. yo estoy harto, voy a poner la mía en venta, no me puedo arriesgar a seguir perdiendo vídeos
Hiker

[ New ]

genea47057,

I am almost certain that you are right and that low battery heavily contributes to the problem. 

For the past few weeks I have done innumerable tests with my GoPro 7 Black (I am still continuing my tests before I finally call GoPro and tell them where they messed up). I can reproduce the problem quite frequently when:

• I am on a battery
  • Battery is low
  • I am recording on settings which are stressing GoPro processor

I cannot, after trying for days (I take GoPro 7 with me to work and keep recording over and over entire day), to reproduce the problem if I take the battery from the GoPro and feed the power directly from USB connected to the power adapter. Please note that this is different than what somebody said earlier on this forum that problem exists when feeding power directly from USB. When you have battery in or you supply your power from PC USB port, the situation changes. The power supply may not be as stable as directly from the power adapter.

I also cannot reproduce the problem when my GoPro is mounted to Karma grip and power is supplied from Karma battery. Karma's battery is way more powerful and stable than GoPro battery.

The problem, for me, exist only when I have GoPro 7 on battery. The problem seems to be more frequent when I am increasing resolution of video and number of frames per second. I experienced freezing rarely when my GoPro was filming 1080/60fps, more frequently with 2.7k/60fps and quite frequently with 4k/60fps. I also experienced freezing more frequently when the battery was getting low. Quite frequently below 20% and very frequently when I stretched it below 3%.

It did help to turn off all the options which may increase power consumption - GPS, WiFi, LowLight processing, Landscape lock, recording in HVEC only (as opposed to MP4+HVEC). It did not eliminate the problem when GoPro was on battery but made it less frequent.

All Li-Ion batteries have a characteristic of slowly dropping voltage while battery discharges. This drop becomes more pronounced when battery is below 20% of capacity. People on this forum reported problem more frequently in low temperature and when battery is partially discharged. It is quite consistent with my observations.

Needless to say, all my experiments where done on newest firmware, after several factory rests and reloads (just to eliminate some strange firmware quirk), on GoPro batteries and with multiple SD cards - all GoPro approved.

Here is my theory which I am still trying to completely prove. GoPro messed up its hardware and/or firmware with GoPro 7 Black making it susceptible to power variations while processor is stressed. When filming in 2.7k or 4k at 60fps the demand on processor and power is very high, camera gets quite hot. Battery, especially when it is cold or partially discharged, may nor keep up with this power demand. Processor freezes video while audio may go on recording.

This theory is very compatible with every observations which was made on the previous 39 pages of this thread. This includes the fact that GoPro replacement does not help. If hardware is the same, the problem is in a fundamental design flaw which makes processor susceptible to power fluctuations.

The only thing which, in my experience, will help for now, is to use Karma grip or some other very stable power supply connected to GoPro. Of course, this is not practical for most uses of this camera.

To make the occurance less frequent (again, this will help but will not totally fix the problem):

• Keep you battery fully charged and do replace when it discharges to about 30%.
  • Keep your battery warm (in your internal pants pocket) in winter before putting it into GoPro just for the duration of filming.
  • Replace your battery when it is getting old.
  • Turn off all the unnecessary options in GoPro which use additional power - I mentioned some of them above.
  • Use lower resolution and lower frame rate whenever practical and possible.

I will keep my experiments for a few more days and then I'll talk to support. I will report on the results (if any different from what I wrote above).

If somebody has a proof which will break my theory, please share it. I will very much appreciate any more insight.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hmmm, I just provided quite detailed analysis of what my extensive tests shows with explanation of extremelly probable culprit and advise on how to make this issue less severe or avoid it alltogether. 

It was my reply to genea47057 post.

My analysis was done quite professionally without any judgements. Just experiments and conclusion which is consistent with the past 39 pages of posts.

My post has been removed. 

Moderator, please explain why? Did I just hit the problem dead-on and GoPro decided that it should not be presented to the wider audience? I thought we are here to help each other yet you allow posts which are not constructive and remove the ones which may be helpful? Why?

Tourist

[ New ]

I was wondering the same thing? I read your post via email notification and found it very helpful. It also jives with my findings and concers with this product. I've actually gone out and bought 4 new 1500mamp batteries so that I have plenty to cycle through while out recording. I found your post very helpful and appropriate. 

Hiker

[ New ]
This is one of the unlisted vids I uploaded to show gopro this cam is unreliable. No battery, on USB, cool day, still fails for no reason.

Description:
RAW file upload. Trying to test different settings to get camera to record reliably. This was first ever test with no stabilization. 4k, superview, 30fps. Running without battery to test, using USB power. STILL it shuts itself off.

Cam stopped recording for no reason during this clip.Usually clips are about 8m 52s and about 4GB. This one was 3m 28s and about 1.5GB. No matter what I do, this cam will not record reliably.
GX080022 https://youtu.be/wmOwoUlauTo

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you genea47057.

If you have e-mail with the content of my post would you be able to re-post it?

I did not save it for my records and there is no point in trying to re-create it. It is too long. 

Thanks!

BTW - still curious what will be Moderator's reply.

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm reposting a message for @toughpike5712 

The content is not my own

--------------------------------------

I am almost certain that you are right and that low battery heavily contributes to the problem. 

For the past few weeks I have done innumerable tests with my GoPro 7 Black (I am still continuing my tests before I finally call GoPro and tell them where they messed up). I can reproduce the problem quite frequently when:

I am on a battery Battery is low I am recording on settings which are stressing GoPro processor

I cannot, after trying for days (I take GoPro 7 with me to work and keep recording over and over entire day), to reproduce the problem if I take the battery from the GoPro and feed the power directly from USB connected to the power adapter. Please note that this is different than what somebody said earlier on this forum that problem exists when feeding power directly from USB. When you have battery in or you supply your power from PC USB port, the situation changes. The power supply may not be as stable as directly from the power adapter.

I also cannot reproduce the problem when my GoPro is mounted to Karma grip and power is supplied from Karma battery. Karma's battery is way more powerful and stable than GoPro battery.

The problem, for me, exist only when I have GoPro 7 on battery. The problem seems to be more frequent when I am increasing resolution of video and number of frames per second. I experienced freezing rarely when my GoPro was filming 1080/60fps, more frequently with 2.7k/60fps and quite frequently with 4k/60fps. I also experienced freezing more frequently when the battery was getting low. Quite frequently below 20% and very frequently when I stretched it below 3%.

It did help to turn off all the options which may increase power consumption - GPS, WiFi, LowLight processing, Landscape lock, recording in HVEC only (as opposed to MP4+HVEC). It did not eliminate the problem when GoPro was on battery but made it less frequent.

All Li-Ion batteries have a characteristic of slowly dropping voltage while battery discharges. This drop becomes more pronounced when battery is below 20% of capacity. People on this forum reported problem more frequently in low temperature and when battery is partially discharged. It is quite consistent with my observations.

Needless to say, all my experiments where done on newest firmware, after several factory rests and reloads (just to eliminate some strange firmware quirk), on GoPro batteries and with multiple SD cards - all GoPro approved.

Here is my theory which I am still trying to completely prove. GoPro messed up its hardware and/or firmware with GoPro 7 Black making it susceptible to power variations while processor is stressed. When filming in 2.7k or 4k at 60fps the demand on processor and power is very high, camera gets quite hot. Battery, especially when it is cold or partially discharged, may nor keep up with this power demand. Processor freezes video while audio may go on recording.

This theory is very compatible with every observations which was made on the previous 39 pages of this thread. This includes the fact that GoPro replacement does not help. If hardware is the same, the problem is in a fundamental design flaw which makes processor susceptible to power fluctuations.

The only thing which, in my experience, will help for now, is to use Karma grip or some other very stable power supply connected to GoPro. Of course, this is not practical for most uses of this camera.

To make the occurance less frequent (again, this will help but will not totally fix the problem):

Keep you battery fully charged and do replace when it discharges to about 30%. Keep your battery warm (in your internal pants pocket) in winter before putting it into GoPro just for the duration of filming. Replace your battery when it is getting old. Turn off all the options in GoPro which use power - I mentioned some of them above. Use lower resolution and lower frame rate whenever practical and possible.

I will keep my experiments for a few more days and then I'll talk to support. I will report on the results (if any different from what I wrote above).

If somebody has a proof which will break my theory, please share it. I will very much appreciate any more insight.

--------------------------------------

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi bwx232,

Thank you for your post.

The issue which you are presenting in your video may (or may not) be slightly different.

Your camera shuts down completely. What I was talking about and testing was video freezing while audio still goes on.

Yes - they may be related but maybe not. GoPro can easily shut down on its own when it overheats. It is a protective mechanism. Go Pro 7 does have a problem with overheating. When I do 4k / 60fps I can barely touch it. 

Of course you were on motorcycle so it really should not overheat.

But... what if your power supply was overwhelming GoPro? Slightly higher voltage output out of your power bank or motorcycle USB out? Voltage fluctuations? This combined with GoPro processor problem may have caused shut down.

This is why I was so careful and used only two sources of constant power - power adapter and Karma grip. Power adapter will guarantee good and steady power flow and voltage while Karma grip was designed specifically for GoPro by GoPro.

In any case - yes - multiple design flaws. Yes - GoPro should fix it.

Thanks again!

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks genea47057 for the re-post!

Hiker

[ New ]
Oh, mine does that too... https://youtu.be/_ePQUXnzTdc

.. and other glitchy things that wreck vids constantly https://youtu.be/Yc3UugfoYaU

Anyways... it happened like that where it feezes on USB power too and on full batteries for me.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just for context/data - when this was happening to me, it was with a fully charged battery, occasionally plugged in to external power, so I don't believe (at least in my case) that it was a power supply issue.

I have since changed my SD card, and no longer trust recording longer videos - instead I use the remote to start/stop the camera frequently (10 minute clips with breaks). I have not experienced the issue since.

I suspect it is either an overheating problem, or an issue with sustained writing to the SD card (or both/combination). I have it mounted in a light aircraft, so the vibrations might also give the stabiliser much more work than normal to do.

I haven't tested recording longer clips for a while now, simply because I'm scared of losing footage. Honestly it doesn't matter what the reason for the freeze is - the thing that really annoyed me (and what as a minimum should have been acknowledged by GoPro) was the fact that the camera doesn't recognise it, and gives the impression that it is still recording! I got the first 15 minutes of a 1.5 hour flight, the rest was just audio. Really sloppy. If I turn my head to see if the camera is still recording, and it is still ticking away happily, then I expect it to be recording video too! Just die.

Next time I'm out and not bothered about the video, I'll leave it on for at least an hour and see what happens. If there are no freezes, then it'll show that either the different SD card, or the lower temperature (pretty cold now!) is helping. If it's successful, I can throw my old SD card in and have a go, then maybe it will come down to temperature. In that case, I wonder if I'll have a go at gluing a heat sink to it...

Hiker

[ New ]

Wow. Seems like this is 5-headed monster.

Different combinations and different results. Some consistently point to power, some to card, some to who the heck knows?!.

Perhaps slight variations in manufacturing process for our different camera batches causes glitches which seem to have different root cause. That's really bad for GoPro. Major design flaw.

Tourist

[ New ]
I've had the video freezing issue in warm (~20°C), colder and freezing (lol) cold (~ -25°C) situations. You maybe need a heatsink, a heater and an AC... GoPro, you're a diva.
Hiker

[ New ]
No vale para uso profesional. Una cámara que en cualquier momento puedes perder contenido, no vale para un uso profesional, si se quiere para uso amateur con amigos que no importa que se pierda contenido entonces sí.. pero una cámara que no puedes tener certeza de que lo que se está grabando no sirve ...
Este problemabtan grave y tan serio tenía que saberse y advertir antes de comprar una GoPro..Yo es la última vez que compro nada de GoPro
Tourist

[ New ]

Wish me luck my friends, my GoPro 8 arrives tomorrow. I'll certainly report all my mindings here for you all.

Hiker

[ New ]

Good luck genea47057!

Try to freeze it by filming 4k/60fps with batteries which are lower than 30% capacity. Normal behaviour would be that at some point when battery power is no longer sufficient, camera would give you a friendly beep indicating stop recording followed by 3 beeps indicating that writing to SD is done, followed by 7 beeps and automatic camera shut down. 

If it freezes with audio when battery power is low, GoPro did not improve anything. But I sincerely hope that GoPro 8 will not have any issues listed in post in this thread.

I just bought a brand new GoPro 8 battery and will test my GoPro 7 with this one. Perhaps GoPro improved battery technology between 7 and 8? Naah... small chance but I will test anyways. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I'd probably get one (H8 Black) if it would record reliably...  I'm a gluten for punishment I guess. My 7 Black worked for a while before it started flaking out though.. so who knows, maybe the 8 will work for a few months and lull you into a false sense of security and then BOOM.. lost footage for no reason.

My Hero7 Black that I bought brand new was delivered to Gopo on Mon. Now it is Thurs and I have heard nothing so I called and they said I am getting a refurb sent out.. sometime.. whenever UPS picks it up from warehouse, but it is beyond their control and they blame UPS for not picking it up.  WTH?  I was saying UPS picks up every day. What are you talking about? They give same answer over and over. Can't talk to any native English speaking person.. or anyone in USA, ever.. apparently.  

Now my 1 year warranty on original cam is done so when this refub (defective cam sent back to gopro once already by someone else in my mind!) replacement starts doing same thing. I guess I am out $350.  Great!  Great support Gopro! Very confidence inspiring. 🙄

Adventurer

[ New ]

yes I be out $350.00 to when this Hero7  gives to am 1 year  to. warranty over  was out $350.00 when my return policy was  over. GEE (grin)   Santa  clause is coming to town.

Hiker

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:

yes I be out $350.00 to when this Hero7  gives to am 1 year  to. warranty over  was out $350.00 when my return policy was  over. GEE (grin)   Santa  clause is coming to town.

I do not understand this sentence.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Sorry  I say my 350.00 camera am out of warranty to gee. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:

Sorry  I say my 350.00 camera am out of warranty to gee. 

ohh.. that sucks.  Hope my REFURB joint isn't broke too. I have a bad feeling it'll be a paperweight though.

Tourist

[ New ]

This post by @toughpike5712 sounds very plausible - it matches my experiences, thanks for reposting @genea47057.

I reported the issues that I had been experiencing on message 21, I'm very much a recreational user, so don't have much experience of changing between frames etc., but I used the GoPro SD card that came with the camera and GoPro battery.

When I use the Gopro 7 with a KarmaGrip I have never had a frozen image.

The only times that I have filmed in the cold without the grip it froze, same mountain, same temperatures and other external conditions as they had been for the few days (and minutes) before, but frozen footage. I then changed the battery to a fully charged battery, remouted on a head mount and frozen footage again.

Then back to the KarmaGrip - no problems...

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi,

This post is a follow up to my post on page 29 of this thread.

I just concluded few weeks of very rigorous tests trying to reproduce reported problems in various situations and configurations. During my tests I recorded hundreds of clips.

I managed to reproduce all the reported GoPro 7 problems:

• Video freeze without any warning while audio keeps recording.
  • Sudden camera shutdowns without any warning.
  • Camera freeze while doing some operations such as browsing through recorded videos.
  • Sudden unexpected but graceful shutdown of the camera (when camera warns the user of the fact that recording stopped – with one beep – followed by information that file has been successfully written to SD card – three beeps – followed by 7 beeps when camera turns itself off).
  • Extreme shakiness of the image.
  • Deterioration of performance and frequent malfunctions in low temperatures.

Conclusions:

• GoPro 7 has a firmware glitch which may cause very shaky video. This glitch manifests itself very infrequently (I had real problems reproducing it – I saw it only once while recording hundreds of clips during my experiments).
  • GoPro 7 processor has a design flaw which causes camera to overheat when recording at high resolution, high frame rate. This overheating can be reproduced well within GoPro recommended operating temperature range (I repeatedly reproduced it at room temperature).
  • GoPro 7 firmware has a design flaw which causes unpredictable camera behaviour and freezes when power supply is not steady (not up to GoPro expectations).
  • I suspect that GoPro implemented a handshake mechanism between camera and GoPro-manufactured batteries which allows GoPro to react gracefully to deterioration or shakiness of battery power output.

Unfortunately, this means that replacing GoPro 7 with another camera through GoPro support has little chance of fixing the above problems (as reported by many forum members here).

Fortunately, if you follow few suggestions which I tested, the chances that you encounter these issues are greatly diminished or can be eliminated altogether (outside of video shakiness problem which is simply a firmware glitch and only GoPro can fix it).

See my next post for tests and recommendations.

Hiker

[ New ]

This is continuation of my last post.

Here is a bit more information before I give you my recipe.

Before my tests I did factory reset of my camera and manually updated firmware to the latest version (1.8).

I did the same in the middle of the tests just to eliminate the possibility that my first update was glitchy.

I used 3 micro SD cards and repeated all experiments on all of them. These were:

• Two identical SanDisk Extreme 64Gb micro SD XC 1, V30. U3 – recommended and sold by GoPro.
  • One SanDisk Ultra Plus 64Gb microSD XC U1 – this card is slower and is not recommended by GoPro for use in 4k recordings.

I used 4 batteries and repeated all experiments on all of them: These were:

• Two older Powerextra 1500mAh: used by me for over 2 years on my GoPro 5 and 7.
  • One genuine GoPro battery – about year old, purchased with my GoPro 7.
  • One genuine GoPro battery – brand new.

I also used USB power supply fed directly from AC adapter and Karma Grip. I repeated all experiments in these configurations as well.

Since I observed earlier that the above problems have a tendency to be more frequent when the camera processor is stressed, I turned off all the extra and not necessary settings and recorded in 4k, 60fps, Wide and 2.7k, 60fps, Linear.

The results were as follows:

• My tests did not show any variation of behaviour when I was using different cards. All issues were consistent no matter which card I used. As mentioned, I repeated, at nauseam, all tests with all my cards.
  • I did not observe any failures (not even one) when my GoPro had no batteries in and was fed directly from USB connected to a power adapter plugged into household electrical outlet or when it was connected to Karma Grip. And I did over hundred of experiments in the battery-less configurations. With Karma Grip I tested it in both room temperature and below freezing point (I made sure that my Karma Grip was frozen in between experiments). Yes, I acknowledge that some of you saw the issues while connected to the external power source (e.g. motorcycle USB output or powerbank) but can you really, really vouch that your USB power supply was rock solid? How would you know if it met fickle GoPro criteria? As I mentioned – GoPro 7 does have an issue if power supply is not rock steady and up to its expectations.
  • I observed frozen video with audio ongoing only on my Powerextra batteries (both of them) when these batteries were stressed:
    • When they were at room temperature and their capacity was below 30%.
    • When I froze them. Even at full capacity, the behaviour of GoPro was erratic with frequent video freezing.
  • I never observed frozen video with audio when I was on GoPro batteries (neither older nor brand new one). However, I observed graceful shutdowns of the camera on GoPro batteries in the following situations:
    • Camera was getting extremely hot. This would happen after about 30-40 minutes of continuous filming or when I did a series of 10 minute clips with very brief pauses in between not letting camera to cool down. This, in my view, is a well designed feature protecting the battery from getting too hot (Li-Ion batteries may become unstable in temperatures over 60 degrees Celsius).
    • When batteries were frozen by me and their capacity was 30% or below. This is why I suspect that an electronic handshake between GoPro-manufactured batteries and the camera exists. The camera would do graceful shutdown, notifying user via beeps and saving video, when battery is no longer reliable. This was not happening with not GoPro-manufactured batteries. Camera would simply freeze and video would be ruined. Also, no signal to the user that it is happening.

All this points very strongly to GoPro 7 not handling gracefully power fluctuations when fed from either non-generic or old batteries. I cannot say if the problems experienced with Powerextra batteries are because GoPro specifically built in a mechanism to gracefully handle its own power sources and did not care about generic stuff manufactured by other companies, or simply because my Powerextra batteries were old and the same will happen when my GoPro batteries will get old.

See next post for my advice.

Hiker

[ New ]

This is continuation of two posts above.

My advice:

• If you did not do it already, factory reset your camera and manually update to newest firmware (1.8).
  • Use only GoPro recommended micro SD cards.
  • Recycle all your batteries which are old (two years of good use is old for a battery), especially when they start showing instability in low temperatures (btw, performance of all batteries does deteriorate with age and with temperature).
  • If possible, invest in GoPro batteries – they aren’t as expensive as they used to be and probably not much more expensive that generics you may use.
  • When filming in higher resolution and higher frame rates (4k/60; 2.7/60fps) turn off everything which uses power in your camera (of course, if viable). These include:
    • WiFi connectivity
    • GPS
    • Voice commands
    • Low Light processing
    • Landscape Lock (turn Up or down – not auto)
    • Protune if you don’t need it (I do, so I keep it on).
    • Change MP4+HVEC recording to HVEC only (but confirm first that your PC supports HVEC – some don’t).
  • Use Karma Grip if you have it and it is a viable option for a given shoot.
  • Make sure that you allow your camera to cool down between lengthy shots. As mentioned above, hot camera will gracefully shut down to protect batteries. If you are on Karma Grip this is not a problem if you remove battery from GoPro.
  • Make sure that you keep your batteries warm when filming in very cold weather. Keep it inside your jacket when skiing and put into camera just before you start shooting. If you are continuously shooting in cold weather, there is no problem, camera and batteries warm up, but if you stop shooting, and keep your battery in camera on your helmet while skiing for half a day in freezing temperatures all bets are off.
  • Related to the above – if shooting in very low temperatures, do not use a battery when its capacity starts dropping below 30%. Replace with a fully charged and warm one.

I do not claim that these will solve all the problems people encounter with Go Pro 7. After all, there may be some really faulty cameras out there and, as I mentioned above, this camera h/w and f/w has design flaws.

If what I said above does not help, talk to GoPro Support or, if you found something which helped you, share with this community.

Good luck!

Hiker

[ New ]

Last time I tried to use Gopro was using mic adapter, hypersmooth, 4k, superview on FW 1.80 and EVERY SINGLE video was screwed up because of that stability glitch. Was not hot out, was on a bumpy little minibike.  It only did that very occasionally before 1.80

Vid @ 2:43   https://youtu.be/4XqIMldG2Ts?t=2m43s

and @ 13.55  https://youtu.be/4XqIMldG2Ts?t=13m35s

Every single recording was messed up that day. If it doesn't do that it freezes.  Gopro Hero7 Black is defective.

I finally sent it back, now Gopro will not send me the refurb replacment either.

When I call to ask why their excuse is that UPS won't come pick it up at the warehhouse. 

Indian guy (from India) kept saying that over and over again. Waiting for UPS, waiting for UPS.. It's at the warehouse.

They blame "the warehouse" and UPS.  Like UPS only come once a month or something..

Great customer service. Gopro is a joke!

gopro tracking.png

Top speed hit 11:15 - GPS Top Speed Runs and Test Ride. Coleman CT200U Mini Bike modded with torque converter, Predator 212 Hemi "Stage One", 9 tooth front,...
Top speed hit 11:15 - GPS Top Speed Runs and Test Ride. Coleman CT200U Mini Bike modded with torque converter, Predator 212 Hemi "Stage One", 9 tooth front,...
Hiker

[ New ]

@toughpike5712  a écrit :

This is continuation of two posts above.

My advice:

• If you did not do it already, factory reset your camera and manually update to newest firmware (1.8).
  • Use only GoPro recommended micro SD cards.
  • Recycle all your batteries which are old (two years of good use is old for a battery), especially when they start showing instability in low temperatures (btw, performance of all batteries does deteriorate with age and with temperature).
  • If possible, invest in GoPro batteries – they aren’t as expensive as they used to be and probably not much more expensive that generics you may use.
  • When filming in higher resolution and higher frame rates (4k/60; 2.7/60fps) turn off everything which uses power in your camera (of course, if viable). These include:
    • WiFi connectivity
    • GPS
    • Voice commands
    • Low Light processing
    • Landscape Lock (turn Up or down – not auto)
    • Protune if you don’t need it (I do, so I keep it on).
    • Change MP4+HVEC recording to HVEC only (but confirm first that your PC supports HVEC – some don’t).
  • Use Karma Grip if you have it and it is a viable option for a given shoot.
  • Make sure that you allow your camera to cool down between lengthy shots. As mentioned above, hot camera will gracefully shut down to protect batteries. If you are on Karma Grip this is not a problem if you remove battery from GoPro.
  • Make sure that you keep your batteries warm when filming in very cold weather. Keep it inside your jacket when skiing and put into camera just before you start shooting. If you are continuously shooting in cold weather, there is no problem, camera and batteries warm up, but if you stop shooting, and keep your battery in camera on your helmet while skiing for half a day in freezing temperatures all bets are off.
  • Related to the above – if shooting in very low temperatures, do not use a battery when its capacity starts dropping below 30%. Replace with a fully charged and warm one.

I do not claim that these will solve all the problems people encounter with Go Pro 7. After all, there may be some really faulty cameras out there and, as I mentioned above, this camera h/w and f/w has design flaws.

If what I said above does not help, talk to GoPro Support or, if you found something which helped you, share with this community.

Good luck!

Vraiment une grand merci à toi d'avoir pris le temps de faire ce récapitulatif mais malheureusement même avec tes précaunisations, j'ai des freezes.

Je ne fait donc plus confiance à ma GoPro 7 Black ni à GoPro d'ailleurs tellement ils sont de mauvaise foi à ne pas reconnaitre que ya forcément un problème après 3 GP7B qui ont les mêmes symptomes avec les meilleures carte SD et batteries du marché.

J'attends la version 2 de DJI Action...

Hiker

[ New ]
No puedes salir con una cámara que no confías, no te puedes arriesgar. Cuando es algo importante lo que tienes que grabar no puedes confiar en el azar. No compré la cámara para eso. Una cámara de este tipo es intolerable que tengas que estar así. Calentando las baterías si hace frío..calentar antes las baterías.etc.... y aún así puede fallar. La grabación es fruto del azar.
para grabaciones profesionales no sirve. Me siento mal al venderla porque pienso que estoy engañando a alguien.
Necesito una cámara profesional, que me de un mínimo de seguridad.
Hiker

[ New ]

bwx232,

Sorry to hear about your issues with GoPro and UPS. This is clearly unacceptable. Unfortunately, poor support and firmware issues are a norm in our high tech society. I for one, do a lot of photo and videography using a lot of digital equipment (drones included) and see similar issues on various support forums on daily basis. Shame on the companies which have a lot of debug data coming for free from their user groups and who do not do enough to support their users as they should.  

Yes - shakiness of the image has been reproduced by me as well (albeit only once) and it happened while I was on GoPro genuine batteries with 37% capacity in room temperature. This proves that this particular problem has nothing to do with GoPro 7 susceptability to battery power fluctuations and quality.

The rest of this message is generic, to anybody experiencing shakiness issue (it won't help bwx232 since he is waiting for his refurbished camera).

I never saw this problem before upgrading to 1.8 and, it seems, other users report that it started happening when they upgraded to 1.8.

If this is really the case (if the problem was introduced by GoPro in the latest firmware update), the best course of action for anybody experiencing it after upgrade would be to downgrade back to the previous version of firmware. Unfortunately I was not able to find a site on internet which stores older versions of GoPro firmware (APK Mirror which specializes in such thing does not have it). However, if you downloaded earlier version to update you GoPro before, the chances are, it is still in your Downloads folder or, even if you deleted it, in your Trash can,

GoPro does not support downgrades of their own firmware but, if they can't help, we need to take action into our own hands. To downgrade GoPro firmware you need to do camera factory reset and than manual update with older version. The only potential problem is, you probably cannot downgrade to earlier version than the one that came with the camera (the one which loads during factory reset).

Downgrading to version earlier than 1.8 should not make freeze with audio issues worse. These issues existed before 1.8 and were not fixed with 1.8. I experienced them before upgrading to 1.8 as did many of the members of this forum. So 1.8 did not fix anything I have noticed, yet may have broken picture stabilization.

And lastly, my quick message to GoPro.

Please double check what you did in 1.8. If your changes cause shakiness issue, it should be childishly easy to fix - after all you know exactly what you did in this version of firmware. The community is anxiously awaiting your fixes.  And no, I would never recommend to anyone to buy GoPro 8 - why throw good money after the bad and what guarantee do we have that you did anything better while you seem not to do much about current problems reported to you for the past year?

Tourist

[ New ]

So... I posted few months ago in this thread.

I have the GoPro Hero7. It used to have freezing issue like everyone else. I updated the firmware to 1.8. The freezing went away, but shakiness started happening like everyone else. I dont think either one is better since neither of them are usable footage.

I purchased the GoPro Hero 8. Tested it on 2 hours bike ride.... and sorry to disappoint you all, Hero 8 has the shakiness problem as well.

My "work around" is just taking shorter videos. Many of this issue happened for me for longer videos. Freezing happened randomly but shakiness seems to happen for videos longer than 20 - 30 minutes.

Tourist

[ New ]

@toughpike5712 I want to thank you for all your testing and taking the time to post your results. I'm going to agree with you on your findings and plan to try out some of your solutions. 

Personally I do feel that I have more things running on my GoPro then I need to. That being said, I didn't think I would have to pick and choice! Smiley Sad

The GoPro 8 will arrive today and I'll see how that works out. Honestly I'm not really expecting any better performance out if it. If anything, this new GoPro is doing even more processing and I'm worried that the issue of freezing video will be worse!

I ordered an extra battery with my GoPro 8 purchase as well as 4 extra aftermarket batteries. 

Here is a link to the batteries I ordered.

These batteries look to have a higher mah rating and I hope that extra juice can keep the camera rolling longer. I have no idea as of this post if the GoPro 8 will see these batteries as GoPro 8 exceptable ones. I'll post back my findings here.

Hiker

[ New ]

Good to know about shakiness issue in GoPro 8. I guess their v1.2 firmware has the same glitch as GoPro 7 1.8 firmware.

This is warning to people who think that simply buying new version of camera will help. It may, but it may not. That's why I said I would not recommend buying GoPro 8 (not at this early stage anyway) and potentially throwing good money after bad. In my opinion, it is better to experiment and see if we can improve what we already have and if we can force GoPro to fix the issues in firmware. At the same time observing GoPro 8 forum for any potential problems reported with this new camera.

In GoPro 7, shakiness could develop in any stage of filming. I reproduced it at the very start of filming. Some reported it to happen in the middle of filming. Random stuff. Problem with firmware. You are lucky with your findings that GoPro 8 seems to develop shakiness in longer films and that it could be avoided, at least in your case, by taking shorter clips.

Also, if freezing went away with GoPro 8, it may corraborate my theory about GoPro 7 susceptability to battery quality and power fluctuations which may have been corrected in GoPro 8. I say, may have been, since your one example does not prove that issue will not emerge for other users of GoPro 8 later.

A food for thought - GoPro 5 seemed to be solid, not too many problems. Starting with GoPro 6, GoPro introduced its own custom system on a chip. Did this contribute to the issues we see today in GoPro 7 and 8? Perhaps. 

Yes - very frustrating. But will dumping GoPro alltogether help either? If anybody is itching to buy new DJI Osmo action camera as a replacement for GoPro, do your reserach first and, perhaps, wait few months until we all get better understanding about potential issues with that one as well. I have seen it too many times - issues, complaints, change of equipment and see plethora of other issues. Round and round we go :-(.

Hiker

[ New ]

genea47057,

One thing which I could not definitely tell through my experiments, is if my generic Powerextra batteries where causing issues because they are not 100% up to GoPro specifications or becasue they were quite old. Unfortunately I did not have access to new non-GoPro batteries. My guess that GoPro may have a handshake with their own batteries was based purely on the fact that I always, and without a fail, observed graceful shutdown on genuine GoPro batteries and, on generic batteries the shutdown was usually a freeze. But, the fly in the onitment is that my GoPro batteries were relatively new while my generics quite old. And we all know that performance of batteries degenerates with use. Perhaps my genuine GoPro batteries will cause the same problems when they become more used. This is why I recommended simply recycling any old batteries and use new genuine GoPro.

Having said that, you are in a perfect position to do few simple tests and tell us what you observe. You have new Vemico batteries, so, if you can reproduce freeze or sudden ungraceful shutdown with these batteries we will know that one should be very careful with generics and that, quite likely, GoPro did something to differentiate their own batteries form generics.

Can you see if you can reproduce freeze using your new Vemico batteries when their capacity is low.? Simply do some filming when the battery is almost depleted and wait until it completely runs out of juice and GoPro shuts down. If, after several such tries, GoPro shuts down gracefully every time without freezing video, you can conclude that your batteries are good with GoPro and safe to use. By graceful shutdown I mean - the camera will stop recording with one beep, followed by three beeps signalling write to SD card completed, followed by 7 beeps when it shuts down due to depleted battery. After this happens, check your video to confirm that all is fine.

Many thanks!      

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro 8 just arrived. I've updated the firmware to the current spec.

First things first, it does not like the batteries I listed in my earlier post. So what does "Not Like" actually mean. From my first and very quick view I can see that super hyper boost is not availalbe. I'm sure there is a list of all options that are not available when not using the office GoPro 8 battery and I would highly doubt that the list of features would change based on voltage and mah. My guess is there is simply a flat list of things that are not available with none GoPro 8 batteries.

I do really like the UI and how the menu works. Saddly I'm guessing that a firmware update to the 7 will never include these features even if the 7 could handle it. Why buy the 8 when the 7 has such a simular UI :-(

This has been a bit of a bugger for me with the GoPro cameras. So is there totally no way to offer a simular UI for the 7?

It's all about the money and getting you to upgrade I guess :-(

I've only just unboxed this camera so I know just about nothing about it yet. This was just a quick post to give you an update. I'll mess around with the batteries but to be honest, I think I'll just keep the non GoPro 8 batteries for my 7 and buy a few more offical GoPro 8 batteries.

Tourist

[ New ]

I believe you just get warnings if you dont use GoPro 8's battery. Hypersmooth 2.0 option should still be available.

Take a look at this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/HERO8-Black-HyperSmooth-2-0/ta-p/396691

Most likely that you have options selected taht Hypersmooth 2.0 high / boost isnt available

Tourist

[ New ]

Normal Hypersmooth does work but not boost. I can confirm this because when I try to turn on boost the UI stays that the feature is not available.

Also, the moment I put in the after market battery and power on the unit I receive a warning.

Hiker

[ New ]

@fireycreek08112 wrote:

So... I posted few months ago in this thread.

I have the GoPro Hero7. It used to have freezing issue like everyone else. I updated the firmware to 1.8. The freezing went away, but shakiness started happening like everyone else. I dont think either one is better since neither of them are usable footage.

I purchased the GoPro Hero 8. Tested it on 2 hours bike ride.... and sorry to disappoint you all, Hero 8 has the shakiness problem as well.

My "work around" is just taking shorter videos. Many of this issue happened for me for longer videos. Freezing happened randomly but shakiness seems to happen for videos longer than 20 - 30 minutes.

Does the shaky cam syndrome look the same on the Hero8?

Do you have any examples you could upload? I was contemplating just buying a GoPro Her08 Black, especially if they were more reliable, even though I really do not want to give GoPro any more business. If it would work, I would probably do it.

Looks like that option is out the window. Looks like I need to switch brands, GoPro is obviously going downhill. If I owned stock, I would sell.

Hiker

[ New ]

genea47057,

Wow - that was quick verification! Not good for us but we are getting somewhere and moving forward in our understanding.

Even if all features worked with third-party batteries but GoPro gives you a warning it means one thing - camera knows that you are using battery which is not manufactured by them. It also means that who knows what may go wrong.

I am getting closer and closer to certainty that camera does the handshake with its own batteries when something is not quite right. Two examples:

• when camera overheats I observed graceful shutdown with GoPro batteries and no shutdown (just freeze) with my Powerextra batteries. This may be outright dangerous since Li-Ion batteries may become unstable in temperatures over 60 degrees Celsius. We have seen exploding batteries in Samsung phones, didn't we? ...
  • when battery becomes too weak to perform well (freezing temperatures and mostly depleted battery) my GoPro would do graceful shutdown with GoPro batteries while it would simply freeze with my Powerextra.

There may be some other unintended behaviour. The moral of this story is, at least for me, if camera warns you, don't ignore. Just do what they say because you do not know the consequences. There may be none, but there is quite a good risk that something may not operate as designed.

My Powerextras went on long overdue recycling holidays - may they rest in peace :-).

I would still test your Vemico in depleted state on your GoPro 7 as I suggested to you in my previous post. Perhaps all will be fine. But I wouldn't use them in GoPro 8 with the warning you see.

Hiker

[ New ]

Well my H7B has done every single thing mentioned - freezing with frame and continues with audio which this thread is about, stabilization freaking out, completely freezing, appearing to record as normal but nothing records, etc..  All that.. on new gopro batteries fully charged, on cool days, and with no batteries in at all on USB power, batteries in and charged on USB power, with mic adapter, without mic adapter, etc.. When I was using the app on my phone to monitor recording every single video was wrecked by "hypershake" That's when stabilizer actually makes vids worse than having no stabilizer at all. Also I have run cam on very hot days with low battery power and had all vids come out normal!

I think any of those problems can happen any time under any conditions.

It is insane to expect a cam to work only under a very narrow set of circumstances anyway, especially one this expensive.  These things are probably all defective and poorly or incorrectly designed hardware wise and also have buggy software and firmware.  I think maybe it's time to face facts. Gopro as a company and the cameras, are broken.

Hiker

[ New ]

After calling today, I was told be gopro tech support that it could be because of my SD card that the gopro freezes, has trouble with stabilization, doesn't record as it should, all of it.. So on their recommendation i bought yet another card.. (my 4th card), a "Sandisk extreme".

The other ones I have are on the list, but they are Samsung SD cards:

I have 2 of these:
Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME128GA/AM)

and I have one of these:

Samsung 256GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME256GA/AM)

I have tested them all and all do the same thing but mainly use the 128GB cards.

So I got this new one to try:

SanDisk 128GB Extreme MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - C10, U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD - SDSQXA1-128G-GN6MA

I hope i get the refurbished/ used replaement GH7B soon so I can test.

I still think if SD card is on the list, it should work. 

I can't believe I am spending more money on this cam though.. it's like flushing money down the toilet if it doesn't work.

facepalm 300.jpg

Hiker

[ New ]

bwx232,

GoPro Support is on fishing expedition here. All cards they list as supported had been tested and recommended by GoPro.

If you scroll through this thread you will find posts claimimg that freeze issues went away when the user changed from SanDisk to Samsung cards. Go figure...

Having said that, SanDisk Extreme microSD is definitely a good choice. All my tests were done with SanDisk Extreme or SanDisk Ultra Plus SDs (this one is not recommended but worked anyway) and, as you know, I pretty much excluded that it is fault of the card - at least in my case.

But.. you never know for sure until you try. Stranger things have been reported to happen. Best of luck! 

BTW. I love the picture you attached. I guess we all look like this when we think about GoPro :-).

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks LOL.. yup "facepalm" sums up my whole experience with gopro at this point. And I want them to succeed. I want gopro to be good like they used to be. It's all hype and defective cams now. I think I could spend half the money and get a 4k action cam from some Chinese company that is 100% more reliable, and that is sad.

Hiker

[ New ]
My issue rely only happens when camera cold
I keep thinking I should return it but would only be given a refurb on which I would suspect the same failures would occur
Plus I’m not happy posting my £300 camera to Holland then waiting god knows how long to get the new one
Tourist

[ New ]

I cannot confirm all points what toughpike5712 listed but he did a great job on narrow down the source of the faulty cameras.

I have tested the camera with the original camera batteries and I get the freezing file with audio track continuing at low battery voltage.

Tourist

[ New ]

In case someone is wondering, here is GoPro hero 8 shakiness:

https://youtu.be/pgjWdB8aDPU?t=120

https://youtu.be/AhkaFQkcDBI?t=247

I used to think it was battery related, but Video 1 happened probably about 20 minutes in and it recorded this way for another 25 minutes so my guess is that it was a bit over 50% when it started happening

Also, Video 1 is original hero 8 battery too

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Tourist

[ New ]
I fully agree. And btw. thanks to everybody for putting so much time and energy in trying to get to the bottom of this.

Apart from that it is unbelieveable that it seems that GoPro did not manage to get rid of the shakiness issue on H8B.