Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

I'd serious reconsider giving GoPro another cent of my hard earned money after the total abandonment they've done to their loyal H7 customers.

Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

Very valid point. Have endless amount of other GoPro accessories.

Anyone know if I can use all my gopro accesoris with Osmos action? if possible would gladly switch to something that works

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes, I expected a special offer for H7 owners. But not even that. That's it for me.

Tourist

[ New ]
Love my 7 when it works, which is rare. Yes, I’ve dove the updates and have a valid memory card. Still freezes the video and I have sound. lost footage for Skiing in Aspen, Mammoth, Copper Mountain, A-Basin, Snowmass and sone local trips. Very frustrating!

I would think GoPro would like to make things right for all of us. Maybe it’s time for social media and television to give them some bad press!
Explorer

[ New ]
First, you don't think people who have issues complain and post on social media? Trust me, you haven't come up with an original thought. People who have issues are MUCH more motivated to log on and state negative comments. Thing is, most people are very happy. This isn't some major conspiracy. iPhonedo (who does get sponsorship and affiliate money from DJI) is very popular for good negative and biased videos attacking GoPro. But again, most people are very happy with the HERO7 Black and until the HERO8 came out, it was still there best action camera you could buy.
Hiker

[ New ]

I had 2 warranty replacements of GoPro 7 Black and after the upgrade to the 1.8 the troubles seemed gone. But it was only the day after my warranty expired - it returned. GoPro freezing, the footage lost, GPS data heavily corrupted. Gopro is no longer an action camera, it is a toy camera for 30s quick story.

https://youtu.be/V7M0pFei_XM

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi, exactly the same problems! It is my third Gopro which have the same bugs! A lot of hour with Gopro by phone or by chat. Finally Gopro advice me not to use 4K 50fps, a shame!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @jnvp51

We have tagged the team working on your case.

They should be getting back to you soon.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I just purchased 2 new Hero 7 Blacks, specifically for a professional video shoot of a weekend long concert festival. Using approved cards, running on AC power / no battery, and this issue happened MULTIPLE times, ruining angles that we absolutely needed to have for the final product.

This is completely unacceptable. And the fact that there are 33 pages of comments on this issue and no solution from GoPro, nor recourse for customers who have purchased an unreliable / unusable product is an incredibly poor business practice by this company.

Clearly the issue and comments are not getting their attention. 

Maybe that will get the point across to GoPro and have them develop an acceptible solution for what certainly seems like a significant issue impacting a large share of their customer base.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi, thanks for for your mail.
What kind of battery do you use, original or copy?
Which sd card do you use?

Could you give me your direct mail adress please

Regards
J Nguyen

Hiker

[ New ]

No freezes on my recent trip.  

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about what happened, @matthewu70172. Have you been able to perform the recommended steps to resolve the freezing issue? If you haven't yet, see Camera Freezes Up for details on troubleshooting. If the issue persists, our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs will be able to assist you further. You may reach them by phone or chat. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya  a écrit :

Sorry to hear about what happened, @matthewu70172. Have you been able to perform the recommended steps to resolve the freezing issue? If you haven't yet, see Camera Freezes Up for details on troubleshooting. If the issue persists, our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs will be able to assist you further. You may reach them by phone or chat. 

@mariustanya j'ai passé des heures par chat et au téléphone avec les services de GoPro. Ils ont vérifié que j'avais le bon firmware, les bonnes carte microSD, les bonnes batteries et le problème persiste sur la 3ème GoPro 7 black que j'ai utilisé. A ce jour, après tous ces tests, GoPro ne me propose AUCUNES solution. Je me retrouve avec la soi disante meilleure camera sport du monde qui va aller à la poubelle. Un scandale !!!!!

Hiker

[ New ]

Bonsoir, j'en suis à ma 3eme gotro qui freeze. J'ai fait tous les tests avec le service technique et la seule chose qui me propose c'est une 4eme camera 7 Black. J'en ai marre et je vais voir la concurence, un scandale !

Hiker

[ New ]

Bonsoir, j'en suis à ma 3eme gopro qui freeze. J'ai fait tous les tests avec le service technique et la seule chose qui me propose c'est une 4eme camera 7 Black. J'en ai marre et je vais voir la concurence, un scandale !

Hiker

[ New ]

That is not encouraging.  Mine freezes no matter what I try, and also hypersmooth freaks out and wrecks about every video now after FW 1.80 manually installed after factory reset (twice). 

I just got off the phone with Gopro support. I am in the process of sending them purchase invoice and video files for proof. 11 months of frustration and countless lost videos/ days of recording videos. I Hope I get one that works if they even send me a new one. My fear is I get used / refurbished defect that someone else sent in as defective then gopro did a few quick tests and say "FACTORY REFURBISHED!", then they send it to me.  Then my 12 mo warranty runs out and I am left with nothing but a defective useless paperweight. 

$350 is a lot of cash to spend on a paperweight. It's not like this is not a known issue either. Support rep. on phone tried to steer me in the direction of using lower resolution or asked if I had tried that. I said I bought the thing to record 4k, hypersmooth, superview., all at the same time. If I did not want to do that I would buy a generic cam or cheaper gopro. Seems like these just will not run reliably unless you are doing 1080p 60.

I am so sick and tired of this unreliable garbage. I want to get the hero8 black just to see if it works reliably.. but I am gun-shy now and don't want to give gopro another dime of my money.

Tourist

[ New ]

i only record in 1080 60 fps hero 7 and this happens often (even when I summited kilimanjaro last year sadly....)

Just an FYI

I got a new one recently sent to me when I called tech support. Is wast 11 months into my original warentee like you and it is buggy in different ways so far and did do a freeze and audio continues once but I have not done much cold weather stuff as it is sept-oct time frame right now.

Hiker

[ New ]

@boldstoke314 wrote:

i only record in 1080 60 fps hero 7 and this happens often (even when I summited kilimanjaro last year sadly....)

Just an FYI

I got a new one recently sent to me when I called tech support. Is wast 11 months into my original warentee like you and it is buggy in different ways so far and did do a freeze and audio continues once but I have not done much cold weather stuff as it is sept-oct time frame right now.

That sucks. I only lost some near death motorcycle riding vids (a normal happening). I can't imagine losing a mountain climb like that. The sinking feeling you get when you go to look at the footage and there is nothing there is pretty nasty. You never really get used to it. Gopro should really be ashamed of themselves for designing and selling these obviously defective cams.  Seems like they have no shame or honor as far as I can tell. 🤷‍♂️

Hiker

[ New ]

Bonsoir, j'en suis à ma 3eme gotro qui freeze. J'ai fait tous les tests avec le service technique et la seule chose qui me propose c'est une 4eme camera 7 Black. J'en ai marre et je vais voir la concurence, un scandale !

Hiker

[ New ]

Bonsoir, j'en suis à ma 3eme gopro qui freeze. J'ai fait tous les tests avec le service technique pour les 3 et la seule chose qu'is me proposent c'est une 4eme camera 7 Black. Une fois tous les tests validés, Gopro vous renverra une caméra qui fera pareil et le conseil de ne pas l'utiliser en 4K 50 ips, un scandale !

Tourist

[ New ]

I guess I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I'm constantly loosing footage with these cameras! I have 2 GoPro Hero 7 Blacks and both freeze video and record audio all the time! Both cameras have the lastest firmware (as of this post anyway) and both cameras are using the SanDisk Extream 64gb cards. I even bought these cards because GoPro recommended them so I know I'm using what I should. I need these cameras to work! I run a YouTube channel and it's killing me that I'm loosing footage all the time. Has GoPro addressed this at all yet?

Hiker

[ New ]

I finally called support and getting a replacement cam.  Funny in the email they said it was a "one-time special exception". I have a year warranty, and gopro honoring their warranty is a "one-time special exception"?   My question is, what if the replacement cam does the same thing? Guess I will be SOL and out $350.  🤷‍♂️

Tourist

[ New ]

That is a little lame that GoPro is backing their warrenty like that. I wish I could say that I think a new camera will fix your issue but I'm very doubtful. There are just to many complants here with no answers. I will at least put this into the mix, I'm not always using GoPro batteries (which I truly don't think means a thing here) and sometimes I record with the battery rather low on power. I only record at 2.7k and not even 4k, but that still might just be to much for the camera to handle with a low battery. I want to be as fair as I can here because I do feel that the GoPro platform is quite good, but this issue is making it pretty tough on me.

Hiker

[ New ]
I too have faced the same issue, and have since returned my gp7. Albeit, I'm losing my $100 camera trade-in but wanted to see if the issue will be resolved. Has anyone seen this issue in the new gp8 and has there been any incentive to upgrade to it? After all this time I'm not sure if any fix for the gp7 is forthcoming or will be reliable.
Tourist

[ New ]

I also have an 8 coming in and hope it also fixes the issue. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi guys. In the past, i had the same issues during my last trips using a slow sd-card, low light on, FW <1.8 and cheap batteries. Now i am just be back from a 3 week travel in indonesia. I used GP7 with original batteries, 128gb samsung evo plus, FW 1.80, 4k 60 hyper smooth, low light off, protune on at several situations (darkness, up to 36°C, in the water approx. 20°C and a depth of 10m). Even at 1080p 240 fps no issues anymore. I recorded 160GB of footage with the GP7 and changed the batteries latest at 20%.
Hiker

[ New ]
Had similar inside with freezing.recording Audio but no video,and camera not switching on
They have offered a return for replacement but the chances of it being NEW isn’t one I’m hopeful about
Plus a 30day refund policy is pathetic
I was hoping I would be offered the chance of return and pay extra for the Hero 8
Anyone contacted trading standards with the view of the goods not being fit for purpose?
I was given 25% discount so don’t know whether to buy the 8 and punt my 7 and take a hit in the pocket
Would work out about 280-290 for the 8 with discount
And Mibbe get 250 for the 7
Hiker

[ New ]

Bonsoir, c'est ma 3me Gopro qui fait la même chose et il veulent m'en envoyer une 4ème. Je les soupsonne d'envoyer les Gopros défaillantes en remplacement ou alors cela veut dire que la Gopro 7 Black à un gros problème de conception. Dans les 2 cas c'est grave car soit Gopro est malhonnète soit ne veut pas reconnaitre le problème de la GoPro 7. Moi je n'utilise plus ma GP7 Black et j'ai des scrupules à la revendre pour ne pas arnaquer quelqu'un en lui revendant une caméra défaillante. Je suis très déçu car j'ai eu toute les GoPro depuis sa sortie !!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm trying not to blow my top right now and post anything I would regrate later but I'm at my complete wits end with this **bleep** thing!!! I use these cameras from my YouTube channel. OK, it's not a huge business, but it's still a business and I need to video to work! Tonight I was recording one of the biggest events and I can't believe the stupid thing froze up again on me on all the videos that I seriously needed recorded. WTH!!!!!!

GoPro, are you even reading this forum! Do you even care about any of us here?

Explorer

[ New ]
Sorry to hear about that experience.
Because this is a member to member support community. Most of these post are not seen by GoPro, other than the handful of moderators who may or may not see your individual post.
If you would like to leave feedback, you can do so here https://gopro.com/en/us/feedback
If you want to reach out to GoPro Support, you can do so here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Hiker

[ New ]

@danielr15  a écrit :
Sorry to hear about that experience.
Because this is a member to member support community. Most of these post are not seen by GoPro, other than the handful of moderators who may or may not see your individual post.
If you would like to leave feedback, you can do so here https://gopro.com/en/us/feedback
If you want to reach out to GoPro Support, you can do so here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Bonjour,

Je pense que Gopro ferait bien de s'y interesser car le sav ne m'a pas réglé mes problèmes de freeze et je suis écoeuré d'autant dincompértence et de mauvaise foi.

Je n'utilise plus ma GoPro 7 Black et je ne rate jamais une occasion de dire que cette caméra a un problème en 4K sur tous les gropupes GoPro Facebook, Instagram et blogs !!!

Merci de votre proposition mais j'ai dja passé des dizaines d'heures sans résultat sur plusieurs caméra 7 black...

Hiker

[ New ]
graytree76514

You say that that the main reason is using slow or not recommended cards. I use fast SanDisk microSD Extreme V30 recommended by GoPro. Same problem.
The problem is either in your hatdware or firmware - please fix.
Explorer

[ New ]
SanDisk cards are NOT reliable. I have five SanDisk Extreme v30 cards. My HERO7 Black was intermittently freezing, usually about 20 minutes into recording. It took awhile, but I eventually figured out it was only happening with one of the SanDisk Extreme v30 cards. Three work fine, but the forth gives occasional SD error and much faster battery drain. So, from my experience, only 3 of five SanDisk Extreme v30 cards (60%) are reliable. Switched over to Samsung Select and Lexar 677X v30 and haven't had any issues for almost a year now.
Hiker

[ New ]

It doesn't have anything to do with SD cards in my case because I have 3 different recommended Samsung cards and my Hero7 Black is an unreliable piece of garbage.  I finally sent it back but I have little hope that the used/ remanufactured/ defect cam I get back will be any better.

Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC Evo Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME128GA/AM) x2

Samsung 256GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME256GA/AM) x1

Tourist

[ New ]

Question to you folks, can any of you confirm that your battery might have been low when this has happened? I'm 100% in the same boat here with you folks and trying to get to the route of the problem.

Could you imagine if the GoPro mounted to the dudes helmets at RedBull Rampage went south like are's? Apparently these things are relyable for other people and I really need it to work.

Right now I have WAY to much invested in GoPro gear for me to switch now. 

Hiker

[ New ]

It does it with no battery (on USB power), full battery, half full battery, low battery, hot outside, cold outside, 4k, 2.7k, all firmwares, hypersmooth, no hyspersmooth, no matter settings in camera. Unreliable P O S! I probably wasted about $400.  Thanks gopro.  This was my first gopro.  Great experience. 😂

Hiker

[ New ]
Believe it or not I’ve spoke to Darren berrecloth on Instagram about issues with Gopro hero 7 black and even he has had similar problems
Although they are sponsored so will have easy access to get camera switched
Tourist

[ New ]

Really didn't want to hear that hainman Smiley Sad

Tourist

[ New ]
I am on my 3rd replacement and its just the same as the last 2 a freezing pos!!!!
Tourist

[ New ]
Redbull hardline kade edwards go pro 7 black start of his run just as about to drop in and his pal had to pull the battery!!! all 7,s should be recalled and destroyed! and 8,s giving to the CUSTOMERS not ht ebloody pro,s for free!
Tourist

[ New ]

Are you serious! WTH DUDE!!!!!

Hiker

[ New ]
The fact they say no returns after 30 days is complete **bleep**
Tourist

[ New ]

So cmon then go pro whats happening with all us un happy ripped of gopro 7 customers??

36 pages of people with the same fault yet you still wont admit it??? 

I am on my 3rd go pro 7 black and its just the same freezing pile of junk as my original purchase! ive tried 7 differnet sd cards tried all the bull**bleep** about updates and formats all rubbish!! (ITS THE HARDWARE)

Check out redbull hardline KAde edwards just about to drop into his race run and boom live tv and his mate has to pull the battery as it freezes!!

Everywhere me and my lad go and ride there are people with freezing gopro 7 ive had to go back to our go pro 5,s which are perfect???

I mean cmon your gopro 8 ie the 7 with fixes one been the lack of a cage so you can pull the battery easier pathetic lol

Massive refund time i say!!! replace all gopro 7,s with go pro 8,s for free and even that aint enough after all my ruined missed footage! 

Stop giving all your go pro athletes free camera gear and holidays!!!!! SORT YOUR CUSTOMERS FIRST!!!

If this aint sorted i for one will never buy another and i own 6 of them!!!!!

steve

Hiker

[ New ]

Totally agree ,exactly my experience. Now I am doing the 3rd replacement (4th GP7) and do not believe it will solve the issue.

They already forced me to buy yet another SD card to prove their claims on not reliable card (they say that the recommended cards just degrade over time). Of course with a new recommended card the problem started again. I proved it with video, so they asked me for another prove. They would provide you countless reason why it fails but the real one - GP7 HW/SW issue that I think GoPro is perfectly aware of. 

What is funny, the GoPro agents in the chat discussion agree that this the freezing happens.... Just happens, not only for me but also for the cameras they are using.

Hiker

[ New ]
Might be time to take a hit on punting my 7 and go with the DJI
Tourist

[ New ]
exactly what i am thinking!
Tourist

[ New ]
Yeah man i hear you there utter crap the 5 was way better!
they tried that its your card crap with me and then changed there minds when they realised they supplied the card haha what a firm utter shocking! when they were back in the hero4 days the firm was amazing now they just build one that half works give it to all the pros for free tell em to big it up and then rip jo public off pathetic
Tourist

[ New ]

I hear ya but I have....

2 GoPro 7 Blacks

1 GoPro 8 coming in

1 Original Session (always worked and still does)

3 GoPro Hero4 Silvers (always worked and still do)

A butt load of batteries (just bought 4 more because I think the freezing still might have to do with low batties though others have proven it does not)

You might ask why I have so much GoPro gear? I needed solid and quality camera gear to run my YouTube channel. I would rather spend the money then mess around with junk. Now I'm wondering what I have done :-(

Hiker

[ New ]

I also have my small business around the GoPro camera and when I am lossing the part of the recording I am really lossing....

https://trassy.pl/velo/route/56/858

Tourist

[ New ]
They should recall this expensive piece of **bleep**.