Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

Hello @am1man @bravestar55076 @jwkoba

This has already been sent to the team in charge.

As we treat each issue/case uniquely, it is important that we ask customer to try such troubleshooting.

Should all else fail, we refer customers to the Support Team to check on the case further.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

I am thinking that the GP 7 Black cannot handle SD cards over 64GB, has anyone had the issue with a 64GB card or less?

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hello @am1man @bravestar55076 @jwkoba

This has already been sent to the team in charge.

As we treat each issue/case uniquely, it is important that we ask customer to try such troubleshooting.

Should all else fail, we refer customers to the Support Team to check on the case further.

Regards,

Ej

Thanks for letting us know that we are not forgotten.  This my 3rd GoPro I have purchased over the years so I am a loyal customer and hope the Team solves this weird issue.  

Tourist

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

What I would expect from a good support team is that the contact me and let me know about the status of the issue.

I don’t see any of you guys reporting something about the status!

It is one of the (or the) main issue of the camera, besides battery drain, software freezes,…

AND if there is no fix till know, I don’t want that you send me a new camera that has the same issue!

BUT that’s your procedure right now! 

Many people are waiting till one person posts that the new camera he got fixed the problem!

Tourist

[ New ]

@bikelifewithrob 

I am sorry to tell you that I have tested 32GB and 64GB cards with the same issue!

Tourist

[ New ]

Dang it!  I have not had any issues with my latest replacement, but I have alos only used it in 2.7K Linear, we will see what happens this next week when I do 4K hypersmooth on the MTB!

Tourist

[ New ]

@bikelifewithrob Other Question: Does it work at -10°C (14°F) ? I have no problems at normal temps but if the battery is less then 20% and it is cold, around 0°C (32°F), the freezing starts.

Just a hint: Try to record as short as possible. I had most freezing events with 2min or more recording time. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@bravestar55076 wrote:

@bikelifewithrob Other Question: Does it work at -10°C (14°F) ? I have no problems at normal temps but if the battery is less then 20% and it is cold, around 0°C (32°F), the freezing starts.

Just a hint: Try to record as short as possible. I had most freezing events with 2min or more recording time. 

Mine was at temp around high 50's F, low 60'sF.  The battery was not fresh.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bravestar55076

Please reach out to our Support Team to have a case created regarding the issue

They should be able to help you move forward with your concern.

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I'll keep an eye on that, I just wish I wouldn't have to investigate this myself and they would fix the isue.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I am also having the same issue. Filming surf clips in 4K 60 FPS and usually after the second or third video of the session the camera freezes and I’ll have to head for the shore.

Have only had the camera for 2 weeks and has been an issue since day 1. I’ve read through here and all GoPro admins keep hounding on the SD card saying this could be the problem. My SD card came with the camera as part of the GoPro bundle, so I know it’s legit. With 27 pages in this thread so far you’d think they would admit to the issue and work on a solution. Very frustrating to say the least.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @birky420

What SD card are you using?

If you haven't already, please go over the steps on Camera Freezes Up

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team for assistance through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs      

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Someone mentioned this earlier and I agree that a lot of people like myself are waiting for someone to say, hey I got a new one and the problem is fixed. I still have my original camera that I purchased on the release date and it still has this freezing issue. I think it might be helpful if all of us that are sitting on busted cameras and waiting for someone to state That the problem is fixed, well rather we all start returning our cameras to force GoPro to deal with this issue which is probably much more rampant and they believe.
Tourist

Betreff: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

Hi guys,

I've the same problem since I got the camera. The problem occurs when the battery is low (below 30%). This is totally annoying.

My question: Can any of you confirm that the problem also occurs with the original GoPro batteries? I suspect it might be due to the accessory batteries (at least the error only seems to occur when no original GoPro battery is used).

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes, it does happen with the original batteries and the card that comes with the camera among many other cards And it can happen at any battery level although there may be a tendency to happen at lower battery levels and certainly seems to be a tendency to happen at lower temperatures although many users including myself have reported the error occurring at a wide range of temperatures. Was this a new camera for you? You just got it?
Tourist

Betreff: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]
Thank you for your quick response. I bought the GP7B last october / november but i used it rarely. The error occures 5 to 6 times till now and i thought that it depends on the used batteries.

I was very happy to upgrade my GP4silver to the brand new GP7B but in the meantime i am a little diappointed. Regarding the bad customer service and the way to deal with this specific error its time to switch to DJI Osmo?! xD
GoPro

Re: Betreff: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

@megacreek65572, if you contact our Support team, they can look further into the details and help you on the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm on a major network TV show in the US, we had a bunch hero 4s for the last few years and recently upgraded them all to Hero 7s and the first use out of the box we had this freezing issue - camera shows it rolled for 1 hour - but clip is only 39 seconds. Did data recovery and found a bunch of other clips on the card, but none will play. This is a big problem. Firmware 1.71

Tourist

[ New ]
I know Nick, such a bummer. I had a really great experience with the hero four. And using it with the Skelton case improved the audio so much and it was even lower profile than the five, six or seven. To be honest, after I realized that this problem existed I went back and I bought a hero 4 because I had lost my previous one in the depth of Lake George. It’s just a **bleep** shame because the hero seven has such amazing stabilization but you just can’t trust it with your recording. You can’t trust any extended video. Basically you have to do one minute or two minute videos at Max in order to avoid catastrophic loss. It’s just crazy to me how they’re still selling this camera with the same flaw Without figuring out a solution and it has been almost a year now.
Sightseer

[ New ]

I also got this issue. Sometimes the video freezes and audio continues recording. In contrast to some in this thread we're not exactly heavy users. We bought the Hero 7 Black to capture home videos. The camera was stationary when it happened. We were inside and the temperature was about 28 degrees celsius. Warm sure, but not what I would call extreme conditions. It happened once more way back when I tested recording in 4K, but then I figured that my old laptop just couldnt handle 4K video and deleted the footage.

Our Setup:

Memory card: Included in box Sandisk Extreme 32 Gb

Version Number:01.70

Video settings:

Res/FPS: 1080/60

FOV: Wide

Lowlight: Auto

Stabilization: Auto

Protune: On

Shutter: Auto

EV Comp: 0

White balance: Auto

ISO Min: 100

ISO Max: 1600

Sharpness: High

Color: GoPro

Raw audio: Off

Mics: Auto

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @anguskan3

Have you tested a recording without Protune on?

Were you able to try the steps  mentioned above?

Other users also suggest turning AUTO LOW LIGHT off and landscape locked either UP/DOWN.

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I don't know why GoPro still don't have an official response for this critical issue. 

This issue is not acceptable.  No one wants an unstable VLOG. 

I have Go Pro 6&7. And both of them have the same problem. I feel so disappointed. I am planning to have a newer version of insta360 one X. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @royalbluff82138. Have you been able to get in touch with our Support team regarding the freezing issue that you are observing? If none of the recommended solutions here work, the next path forward would be to engage our Support team for further troubleshooting/assistance. If you haven't reached out to them yet, please do. Their contact information is at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

I've continued to experience the problems with freezing on my Hero7 that I kicked off this thread with even after warranty replacements, contacting support, resetting the camera, etc.  Since I didn't have any new information to add beyond what's in all of my previous posts I haven't posted here in a while, but I have continued experiencing the same freezing issue quite often.

I'm making this post to report that the latest firmware update (v1.80) did NOT resolve the issue for me unfortunately.

I installed the firmware update using the manual process (copying the update folder to the SD card), did a factory reset on the camera and reformatted the SD card in the camera.  On my first ride with the updated camera (using the battery that came with the camera) I experienced the same freezing issue I've been reporting about an hour into the recording.  The weather was in the mid-70s F.

Tourist

[ New ]

I've been following this conversation every since I posted about the same subject many months ago. It's apparent to me that GoPro either doesn't know what to do, or doesn't care to expend the time, effort and money to resolve it once and for all.

Hiker

[ New ]
I'm having the same issues. Has any had response from GoPro?
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi i have the same problem and its happned on the last gopro hero 7 black that i owned and on both times it happned after i downloaded and installed the latest firmware.The camera works ok on cheap batteries but not good on gopro batteries

Chris

Hiker

[ New ]

And all we hear from GpPro is CRICKETS! I paid good money for this Hero7 Black and it is not reliable whatsoever. You never know when it is going to record or not. This vid below was with prior firmwares.. Just updated to 1.80 and now have a brand new major problem as do many other people. Still, nothing but silence from gopro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ePQUXnzTdc

This Gopro Hero7 Black takes some amazing video when it works! Unfortunately it doesn't work reliably. Here's a few examples. Glitches, bugs, and failure to ...
Explorer

[ New ]
Many people also reporting 1.80 fixed their issues.
Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]

Here is an UPDATE from my original post.  

I have 3 batteries, 1x GoPro and 2x another brand. Not sure what battery was being used here but there seems to be a correlation with the battery status and the "freezing". Same thing happened on another trip at the end of a canoe trip where the battery was down one bar or so. Have heard that the GoPro batteries could be the cause but, as yet, unproven.  I suspect I had the GoPro orig battery in the camera but can't guarantee that.  
Software 1.70, 4K, wide, 60fps.  

https://youtu.be/8NbVND7KZ_g

This is one of the 3 clips from the many from this trip that had an issue. The 3 clips were sequential- the last 3 at the end of the afternoon kayak excursion.  I try to change batteries frequently, way before they got anywhere low, since I had the freezing issue on a previous trip.  It would be difficult to change the battery while I was in the kayak-I'm not an experienced kayaker, and the battery status showed me I still had ample power.  I wish I knew if I had the original "GoPro" battery in the camera when the video freezes happened. That would narrow this issue down a bit.
I see new software is out, 1.80. I will update and I have another trip in another week or so but I'm still not comfortable with the GoPro original battery.  

I have 3 batteries, 1x GoPro and 2x another brand. Not sure what battery was being used here but there seems to be a correlation with the battery status and...
GoPro

[ New ]

Keep us posted on the results of your test, @am1man. We highly recommend doing a manual update for the camera firmware. The steps under Manual Update here will guide you through the process.  

Hiker

[ New ]

Ref:  Keep us posted on the results of your test, @cosmicdust. We highly recommend doing a manual update for the camera firmware. The steps under Manual Update here will guide you through the process.  

OK, I again reformatted my SD card in my computer via the Full (not Quick format) method, then did the manual update to 1.80.  We shall see.  I have another trip coming up in another week and will be using the GP.  Hesitant about using the orig GP battery but will try to keep tabs on what batts I am using.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for trying the steps suggested @am1man

Feel free to let us know how it goes.

Have a good one!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Ok I am also joining the discussion and adding my frustration  to the forum. 

I want to add another aspect concerning battery status to the whole topic.

I am using the GoPro 7 Black for mountainbiking. I use if with an external mic attached to the mic-adapter along with an external powerbank to be able to record without swapping batteries. I first experienced the freezing issue this year during a marathon race. Halfway the Camera froze (without me noticing) and basically the whole second half of the race was lost. The camera kept recording ausio, but the image was a frozen frame.

The external battery pack was still more than half-full when the camera froze, the battery inside the camera was as fully loaded as at the start line. After reading through the forum I suspected the SD-card as the culprit and ordered me one from the recommended list (SDSQXA1-256G-GN6MA). I was doing shorter rides during the summer and didn't experience the issue again so I basically thought it was solved wth the new SD. But sadly the problem re-ocurred last week during a longer ride. The image froze roughly 2:14 mins into a new video file. 

When I took a closer look at the footage I could see an artefact in the video roughly 5 frames before the image froze. I have no idea if this gives any clue. 

Anyways it is pretty frustrating to buy a camera that expensive and relising that it cannot be reliably used for its intended purpose. That's just a no-no.

vlcsnap-00001.png
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @gobikeyourself. Have you already been able to manually update your camera to the latest firmware version? 

Tourist

[ New ]

Dear GoPro Support,

When are you guys going to stop singing the same old song and admit you've got a huge problem in the Hero 7 Black? Of course, if you admit it, then you'll have to do something about it, and it doesn't seem likely that you'll ever truly address this issue. Your reputation is down the toilet, along with where these Hero 7 Blacks should be. As a vlogger, I'm going to start making sure to mention in all my videos about these camera issues and that you guys offer zero support. Really! You should be embarrased and ashamed.

Tourist

[ New ]

Ej,

You know how it's going to go, so quit patronizing people. Shame on GoPro. The Hero 7 Black is a piece of trash.

Tourist

[ New ]
With 1.80, I went through 3 batteries without freezing. I guess we will see if it fixed my issue...
GoPro

[ New ]

That is great, @fireycreek08112. Let us know how it goes as you continue to use your camera. Thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have the freezing issue too: 1.80, 4K30 and so on.
When I used 1080 it was perfect, no issues
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @mmikha7. How did you update your HERO7 Black camera?

Tourist

[ New ]
I purchased one of the original cameras pre-order. I’ve had this issue ever since the beginning. I just updated to 1.8 the latest version manual update. So far no freezing. Very promising but if I get freezing again I will let you all know.
Tourist

[ New ]

Tested another long ride last sunday and this time it froze twice. Both on the begginig of 3rd spilt file

When I first tested it and didn't have an issue, i had the setting at 2.7k4:3 60fps hypersmooth low light off. switched to 2.7k4:3 30 fps hypersmooth and it started freezing. 

i guess ill start testing more with 60fps

Hiker

[ New ]

I've had the failure to record at 2.7k 30, 2.7k 60, 16:9, superview + hypersmooth as well as 4k30 same settings.  Haven't yet with 1.80 but haven't tested it a lot since then.

Hiker

[ New ]

Mine still freezes since the update. Shooting 2.7k @ 120. Manually updated the camera and have used 2 sd cards (each re formated) and the prob still exists. Maybe the next firmware update?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @epiccliff7616

Did you try turning AUTO LOW LIGHT option off?

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Just got back from another trip and used the GoPro quite a lot.  No freezes of the video,  I did have one instance where the camera would not shut off and I had to momentarily remove the battery to correct.

I had updated to the newer firmware before the trip and, as usual, did a full (not "quick") format of my SD card in my desktop.  Used my usual 3 batteries on the trip- 2 "Smile" and 1 GoPro.  Sometimes the battery got down to where the indicator would be orange and maybe red but I would try to change batts before they got too low.  Temperatures were warm and pleasant at the location I was at and no underwater use.  4K- wide, 60fps.  I tried to mostly use the 2 "Smile" brand batteries and keep wifi and gps and voice cmds turned off.

I'm encouraged!  Leaving on another trip this week and will hope for the best.  

Sightseer

[ New ]
Has anyone discovered a fix for this? Just got back from a trip to corfu where mine froze a few times while still recording sound. This has also happened on a skiing trip in March much to my disappointment.
Explorer

[ New ]
See the post above yours.

Along with manual updating and performing a Full (not quick) format in your camera, you might want to consider changing your SD card. Auto low light off and locking the orientation is generally a good idea as well. Also, the new HERO8 batteries might give a bit of a power boost.
Tourist

[ New ]

I can 100% reproduce this when the battery is on super low, so sort of mitigate it by not letting the battery get very low. (Makes long continious rercording (without power) impossible).

Considering just getting the Hero 8 and selling the 7. Don't think they will ever fix it. On my 2nd warranty replacement and quite frankly sick of it. 

Will wait a bit to see if the Hero 8 is hopefully a product that should have been released, unlike the 7.