Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

You can't recover what wasn't recorded. If the camera freezes, the best way to unfreeze it is to press and hold the side Mode/Power button for about 10-12 seconds and then release (nothing will happen while you're holding it, but the camera will reboot once you stop pressing). Doing it this way, the camera will automatically start repairing the file once it reboots.

If you pulled the battery (BTW, you should only use GoPro OEM batteries), then the file is most likely corrupt and you will not be able to recover it. There are programs that say they can repair them (google it), but most are scams and don't work.

One more thing about using GoPro vs 3rd party batteries. GoPro batteries are only about $9 with GoPro Plus (which is free for the first month, cancel anytime). Per the warranty, use of 3rd party batteries can void your warranty.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

@davidf4565 wrote:

mine froze today at 1080p and 240fps, shot in wide. my sd card was the san disk which comes with the camera. It was the first time this happend to me. the battery was pretty low at the time (10%) and I did not use an original gopro battery. 

is there a way to recover the footage? 

How long in the video did it freeze.  GoPro created a repair file if any thing happened to the file of the gopro a crash.  when the camera is turned off, and when back on a repair  will happend and  confirming it will  write a Header to close out and save.

So what Dan said I agree  since gopro froze was because of the  sd card. buffered due to unexpected reasons.  I would think  the repair would catch on from a few seconds worth if asked. most the time it does not.

Highlighted
Tourist

bonjour à tous,

j'ai suivi ce topic suite aux même problème que chacun d'entre vous...n'ayant aucune reponse de la part de Gopro ,à part de contacter le call center,j'ai donc contacter ce fameux service il y'a trois semaines...

Une fois en contact,service au top,prise en charge de ma gopro "défectueuse",retour en UPS et on m'envoi une nouvelle camera dans les 15 jours...

Premiere sortie...meme reglage 2,7K 60IPS,nouvelle carte SD....Et hop...meme soucis avec une partie des fichiers...image figée et le son continue d'etre enregistré...

le seul point commun entre chacun de ces probleme est toujours le meme paramètre... LE FROID...

J'ai eu par le passé une HERO BLACK +4 et jamais aucun soucis...

Ici sur ma deuxieme 6 BLACK,toujours ce meme soucis...

Gopro n'a aucune idee de ce qu'il peux faire et passe son temps à nier les 18 pages de reclamations faites à ce sujet...

Quelle dommage,j'adore ce produit et la qualité de ces images...quand elle fonctionne...

Julien

Un utilisateurs et fan de la marque...mais terriblement décu..

Highlighted
Tourist

Pffai!
I have been staying for more than a month and watching all the discussions with interest, because I want to buy this product and scare me what the GOPRO H7 black owners are. I'm not happy with the fact that I can change my camcorder, like @ epicshore6620, which is the same as the replaced camcorder!
I'm totally disoriented!

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi,

same issue here! Watching this thread for a while and had 3 snowboarding trips in the meantime, all with more or less loss of footage, becaus i relied on my new GoPro7 Black.
Recorded tons of (what i would call pretty insane) footage in 1080/240fps during the day recently and most of it is with freezing video.
Actually i did use a recommended SD-Card and official GoPro batteries.
Freezing video starts mostly after 10-30 seconds, in some cases it delayed, so there was a freeze occuring at about 2 1/2 minutes.
As described in other comments before, the audio still continues recording some euphoric cheerings, which i now miss the picture of.
Acutally in 3rd party software i could figure out, that there is video still recorded, but does not seem to be recoverable, here is an example:

General
Complete name : F:/Movies/GoPro_fo/2019_03_16_SpringButtaDrops/GoPro7_SD/GX019455.MP4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 1
Codec ID : mp41 (mp41)
File size : 199 MiB
Duration : 27 s 691 ms
Overall bit rate : 60.4 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2019-03-16 13:42:20
Tagged date : UTC 2019-03-16 13:42:20

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main@L5.1@Main
Codec ID : hvc1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration : 27 s 298 ms
Bit rate : 61.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 239.760 (240000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.123
Stream size : 198 MiB (100%)
Title : GoPro H.265
Language : English
Color range : Full
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 27 s 691 ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 kb/s
Nominal bit rate : 48.0 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 640 KiB (0%)
Title : GoPro AAC
Language : English

Other #1
Type : meta
Duration : 2 s 2 ms
Bit rate mode : VBR

Other #2
Type : meta
mdhd_Duration : 27298
Bit rate mode : VBR

i was just wondering, why is the 'general duration' and 'audio duration' 397ms longer than the 'video duration'?

________

though, this GoPro7 Black is supposed to be an awesome product with a lot of fancy stuff. 

I'd rather prefer dumping this fancy extra bull***t to get a reliable working product. Even this bug as it occurs seems pretty random to me and is not reproducable.

So i guess for the future i'll stick to my GoPro4 Silver which i never had such a hustle with and get rid of my newer GoPro7 Black, cause of its poor realiability.

Even this bug as it occurs seems pretty random to me and is barely reproducable.

Anyone interested? .... really, don't buy it!

regards,

pretty frustrated customer

Highlighted
Hiker

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hello Everyone!

If the suggested steps does not clear the issue, the best path forward is to contact our Support Team.

They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs 

Thanks!

Ej

Just got my third hero 7 black back, and who would have guessed, still freezing so far with 2 different SD cards (samsung and sandisk)

Highlighted
Tourist

It's not the SD cards, it's a systemic flaw in the Hero7 Black.
I went through all the "troubleshooting" steps with their support and sent my camera back.  I got a replacement and sure enough the replacement had the SAME exact problem.

Of course support wants me to go through the same **bleep** "troubleshooting" steps.  

This is a systemic issue and GoPro is not acknowledging it.

Highlighted
Hiker

Adding, partly as a '+1' in that I've had this issue ruin some footage which was likely some of the best of a snowboarding trip, but also if there's any way to salvage footage, since *something* was clearly recorded looking at the file size.

Either way, I'm going to try going through the official Japan distributor to see if I can get a new(er) one which may not have this issue, or take the refund and cancel selling my old 5 which most certainly did not have this issue.