Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]
Sorry. on non-original 3 times out of 5 hung.
Hiker

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

[ New ]

** Sorry, just read your updated post. Please disregard. Thanks for your update.  **

Hi artemufa, I also have the same problem. What did you mean by "on the original battery there was not a single hang. On the original 3

times out of 5 hung"? Thanks. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I can not confirm the battery test results from artemufa (non gopro and original gopro). I have only original gopro batteries (new) and the freezing is present!

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same issue but in warm conditions too.

1. Costa Rica, about 25°C (> warm!), firmware 1.51 (? Nov. 2018), whitewater rafting. Some vootage worked, the last one only recorded audio after 10-15 seconds. The camera was on the helmet and I noticed that there were no beeps when I tried to stop recording (I prefer several clips of some minutes instead on clip of an hour). The others told me that the camera indicates that it's still recording. Since we did whitewater rafting, I couldn't do anything. In fact the camera was frozen. Missed some cool action, very frustrating.

Firmware update: 1.70

2. Dog sledding, winter of course, total clip 07:20, after 11 seconds video freezes, 3.15 GB file.

3. Snowmobile, two days before dog sledding the same here.

My intention was to capture these winter adventures with the GoPro so I don't have to care about camera stuff Smiley Frustrated Luckily I didn't rely only on the GoPro: My compact camera Sony HX90V - which is not an action camera - worked just fine. The GoPro was only frustration and ballast, nothing I'll recommend. And because GoPro isn't doing a lot here to help their customers, I'm pretty sure it was my last GoPro product.

Hero 7 Black with original battery

SanDisk Extreme UHS 3 V30 A1

2.7k, 60, W, 16:9

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having the same issues, but in cold weather. Just got done with a day at snowbird and half of my footage is fine and half of my footage cuts out after 20 - 30 sec of recording. I'm shooting 60fps, 2.7k, LL auto, Stabilization auto. I don't buy that it's the memory card as it works fine for half and not fine for the other half. Seems more of the cold as it occurred later in the day.

To top it off, I ordered a bunch of accessories and batteries for this snowboarding trip, even got 2-day air purchased last Monday and it just came in. Next time I'll go through Amazon or someone better with logistics.

Hiker

[ New ]

The temperature connection is interesting and it does seem like a lot of the reports are from people using it when it's cold, but I've also seen the problem recently when the temperature was 55F+, sunny and when my bicycle was stationary so the wind wasn't cooling it off.  Perhaps the cold makes the issue worse?  Even if that's the case, I'd be interested in knowing at what temperature the camera was expected to work consistently.

Regarding the theory about the batteries, I only have official GoPro batteries (from the Hero5, 6 and 7 + 3 extras I bought).  I didn't pay much attention to which battery was in use when it froze in the past, but yesterday the camera froze when it was using the battery that came with the Hero7 Black.

Hiker

[ New ]

It was noticed during testing in the freezer that when Wi-Fi is on, hoverings start instantly.

Hiker

[ New ]
GoPro supported suggested that I try with the super suit. I am very skeptical that this will solve the issue, and certainly don't want to buy more accessories. However, has anyone had luck with this or can confirm that this also experiences the same video freezing issues?
Tourist

[ New ]
This happened to me on a few occasional while using the super suit. I am extremely skeptical that a super suit will make any difference at all. Unless you plan on diving or want the extra protection, don’t waste the $50, it won’t fix the freezing issue.

As I stated earlier, I first started experiencing this issue while diving with the supersuit in the Caribbean (warm waters!).
Hiker

[ New ]

Same problem, have tried literally everything in this thread and every other thread support suggestions etc. These cameras have some serious flaw and I doubt they plan on fixing it.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @grandsurf78404,

Sorry to know that. 

If you already followed the steps posted I would suggest to contact our Customer Support team via phone or chat. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]
Based on everything that I read I'm considering returning the unit and taking a loss on the camera I gave in the trade up program.
Hiker

[ New ]

I would 100% do that if I could, even though I bought at launch I might end up requesting one and doing a chargeback if they refuse. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Was able to get the RMA for the return, as I just received it a few weeks ago. I tried to negotiate for some future credit for my loss in the trade up program, but the rep really didn't care and sounded like she wanted to end the call as quickly as possible. I really hate to say this, but I think this is my last gopro. I really like the company/product, and would have bought from them again, but this experience has soured me. It felt like a "Sorry to hear that you're having troubles, but take it or leave it" type of attitude.

Sightseer

[ New ]

My wife and I each have a new Hero 7 Black that have had their software fully updated and both use SanDisk Extreme PLUS micro sd cards. After using these multiple times for snowboarding we have also had this video freezing issue sporatically without any way for us to know about it. This has caused us to lose a fair amount of footage and is quite disappointing and unacceptable... Please let us know what GoPro has planned to rectify these issues with this, thank you.

v/r,

Jeremy and Michaela Johnson

Tourist

[ New ]

UPDATE!!

So apparently this is a known mechanical issue and it happens at 2.7k 4:3 with Hypersmooth on. 

It was confirmed by a Gopro athlete that i was talking to. Hiding his name since I'm not sure if he was supposed to say this in public or not.

At least we can now drop the res and keep filming. Haven't tested 1440 to see if the problem continues or not, so please try and let us know!

Cheers!

IMG_3268.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]
Alis- thanks for sharing that. But I pretty much always shoot at 2.7k, 60fps, 16:9. I never shoot in 4:3. And I have experienced the freezing pic with rolling audio in only warm climates (under water and on beaches).

This issue spans more then just cold temp, and 4:3. Those may exacerbate the issue thoigh...

Agree with your friend - with this being a known issue I would love to see GoPro provide us with an explanation on what is actually going on.
Hiker

[ New ]

as for me, I encountered the problem shooting either full HD 16:9 superview (hence, sort of 4:3), or 1440 4:3.

at least, could it be possible the the forum moderators tell us when the next firmware release is planned ?

Hiker

[ New ]

@cooloasis03757 wrote:
Alis- thanks for sharing that. But I pretty much always shoot at 2.7k, 60fps, 16:9. I never shoot in 4:3. And I have experienced the freezing pic with rolling audio in only warm climates (under water and on beaches).

This issue spans more then just cold temp, and 4:3. Those may exacerbate the issue thoigh...

Agree with your friend - with this being a known issue I would love to see GoPro provide us with an explanation on what is actually going on.

Yea many of us have this problem on any of the higher resolutions and out of the cold. But cold is worse.

Tourist

[ New ]

Has anyone encountered the issue with hyperstabilization off? I'm thinking it might be this "new" feature that's causing all of the issues. If I can record in a specific mode as containmet, I'd be happy, but the issue still needs to be resolved. Definitely seems like more hardware than anything.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have just returned from skiing in the Alps nad have found the same problem. about 10 seconds in (right before my friend films me) the frames freezes and then its only sound.

very very frustrating as this would have been the only footage of me during the trip :(

Sightseer

[ New ]

I note tht the file size is still huge! It cant all be sound surely!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello everyone,

Same issue here. I posted earlier. I just want to let you know that I only shoot in 1080 60 FPS and I still got the same issue. For me it was certainly when it was cold out - freezing cold Vermont and Kilimanjaro. Does appear it can happen at any temperature it just appears that most frequently occurs when it is colder. We know that the firmware update does not change anything and we know that the SD card is not the issue. We have also had some people get a new camera through the return process and still had the same issue with the new camera. I plan on watching this thread and seeing if anything is actually done. Then just before my one year warranty runs out I plan on having them swap me out for a new one hoping by then they fixed the actual mechanical issue. For now I will continue to use my go Pro hero 5 and 4 but will continue to experiment with the 7.

Sightseer

[ New ]
This is happening with me as well, and I’m about to start kicking kittens. I just got what would’ve been absolutely insane footage, and it’s frozen about 10 seconds in. What a joke!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

If the suggested steps does not clear the issue, the best path forward is to contact our Support Team.

They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs 

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Wow, the best Gopro can say for a solution is to contact our support team?? 

How about a solution? I want so badly to love this camera but with lousy battery life and now freezing video but audio is recorded??? Why bother??? and yes, I have an approved SD card, 

Samsung EVO Plus 256GBMB-MC256GA/AM

My Hero 7 doesn't discrimate between OEM batteries and third party ones. It freezes all the time. I have the latest firmware update from January 2019.  

I lost videos of our Aspen/Snowmass trip...but there's audio Smiley Mad

PLEASE HELP!!! 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @redtree88755. The best path forward at this time would be to engage our Support team. This way, details surrounding the issue are documented and submitted directly to the team in charge. We are working to determine what might be happening that is why we need to gather details per case.  When you contact Support, have your camera and camera information ready so you can get assisted as quickly as possible. Best regards!

Hiker

[ New ]

Hey GoPro Admins

how about suggesting your bosses to crawl this forum, instead of repeating again and again the same answer ?

this would be a little more 2.0 than your method

how about starting by - let say - the number of pages published ?

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi all,

guys!

does somebody figure out the trigger?

is the combination of FOV + stabilization?

I'm thinking like when the problem appears:

- 4K@30fps Hypersmooth + Superview

- 4K@30fps Hypersmooth + Wide

- 4K@30fps no stab + Superview/Wide

- etc.

somebody who has this issue, may I ask you to test a little?

just me,

robert

Tourist

[ New ]

I don't think you guys understand how excursions or quality misses like this are handled. GoPro can't get a handle on the situation if you don't provide them details on which specific cameras (is there a bad batch of electronics or a component on the device?) and what specific issues those cameras are having. I'm just as mad as hell and very dissapointed by this miss on a brand new camera, but try to be part of the solution, rather than whining on a forum that no higher up is going to see.

I'll be submitting my report today with the details requested. I advise you do the same so we can all resolve this problem or get a refund.

Hiker

[ New ]

@ebound wrote:

I don't think you guys understand how excursions or quality misses like this are handled. GoPro can't get a handle on the situation if you don't provide them details on which specific cameras (is there a bad batch of electronics or a component on the device?) and what specific issues those cameras are having. I'm just as mad as hell and very dissapointed by this miss on a brand new camera, but try to be part of the solution, rather than whining on a forum that no higher up is going to see.

I'll be submitting my report today with the details requested. I advise you do the same so we can all resolve this problem or get a refund.

This has been a problem since launch, many of us HAVE gone through support gotten replacements, given extremly detailed information etc with no resolution. No way to get a refund (or trade in camera back) all while gopro refuses to acknowledge there is a problem and continues to sell defective cameras.

This is an EXTREMLY repeatable issue, there's no way they don't know.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@ebound and @grandsurf78404 

ok...so be part of the solution.....

which is the trigger?

is the combination of FOV + stabilization?

I'm thinking like when the problem appears:

- 4K@30fps Hypersmooth + Superview

- 4K@30fps Hypersmooth + Wide

- 4K@30fps no stab + Superview/Wide

- etc.

somebody who has this issue, may I ask you to test a little?

robert

Tourist

[ New ]

I had this happen yesterday. I was making a few turns above a cliff and then the image freezes. All I get is the audio of the actual cliff send. I guess that there is no way to recover the video? Smiley Mad

Are people experiencing this issue with official GoPro battery? I was using an aftermaket battery, so I thought that might have been the problem. My settings are 60fps 2.7k hypersmooth superview.

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi all,

till now 

resolutions - 4K , 2.7K I think I saw also 1440

rates - 30fps 60fps

is the combination Superview + Hypersmooth the trigger?

does somebody encounter the issue in Wide + Hypersmooth

does somebody without Stabilisation?

just me,

robert

Tourist

[ New ]
@toughcreek25473
I get the freezing with original battery.
Highlighted
Sightseer

[ New ]

mine froze today at 1080p and 240fps, shot in wide. my sd card was the san disk which comes with the camera. It was the first time this happend to me. the battery was pretty low at the time (10%) and I did not use an original gopro battery. 

is there a way to recover the footage? 

Explorer

[ New ]
You can't recover what wasn't recorded. If the camera freezes, the best way to unfreeze it is to press and hold the side Mode/Power button for about 10-12 seconds and then release (nothing will happen while you're holding it, but the camera will reboot once you stop pressing). Doing it this way, the camera will automatically start repairing the file once it reboots.

If you pulled the battery (BTW, you should only use GoPro OEM batteries), then the file is most likely corrupt and you will not be able to recover it. There are programs that say they can repair them (google it), but most are scams and don't work.

One more thing about using GoPro vs 3rd party batteries. GoPro batteries are only about $9 with GoPro Plus (which is free for the first month, cancel anytime). Per the warranty, use of 3rd party batteries can void your warranty.
Adventurer

[ New ]

@davidf4565 wrote:

mine froze today at 1080p and 240fps, shot in wide. my sd card was the san disk which comes with the camera. It was the first time this happend to me. the battery was pretty low at the time (10%) and I did not use an original gopro battery. 

is there a way to recover the footage? 

How long in the video did it freeze.  GoPro created a repair file if any thing happened to the file of the gopro a crash.  when the camera is turned off, and when back on a repair  will happend and  confirming it will  write a Header to close out and save.

So what Dan said I agree  since gopro froze was because of the  sd card. buffered due to unexpected reasons.  I would think  the repair would catch on from a few seconds worth if asked. most the time it does not.

Tourist

[ New ]

bonjour à tous,

j'ai suivi ce topic suite aux même problème que chacun d'entre vous...n'ayant aucune reponse de la part de Gopro ,à part de contacter le call center,j'ai donc contacter ce fameux service il y'a trois semaines...

Une fois en contact,service au top,prise en charge de ma gopro "défectueuse",retour en UPS et on m'envoi une nouvelle camera dans les 15 jours...

Premiere sortie...meme reglage 2,7K 60IPS,nouvelle carte SD....Et hop...meme soucis avec une partie des fichiers...image figée et le son continue d'etre enregistré...

le seul point commun entre chacun de ces probleme est toujours le meme paramètre... LE FROID...

J'ai eu par le passé une HERO BLACK +4 et jamais aucun soucis...

Ici sur ma deuxieme 6 BLACK,toujours ce meme soucis...

Gopro n'a aucune idee de ce qu'il peux faire et passe son temps à nier les 18 pages de reclamations faites à ce sujet...

Quelle dommage,j'adore ce produit et la qualité de ces images...quand elle fonctionne...

Julien

Un utilisateurs et fan de la marque...mais terriblement décu..

Hiker

[ New ]

Pffai!
I have been staying for more than a month and watching all the discussions with interest, because I want to buy this product and scare me what the GOPRO H7 black owners are. I'm not happy with the fact that I can change my camcorder, like @ epicshore6620, which is the same as the replaced camcorder!
I'm totally disoriented!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi,

same issue here! Watching this thread for a while and had 3 snowboarding trips in the meantime, all with more or less loss of footage, becaus i relied on my new GoPro7 Black.
Recorded tons of (what i would call pretty insane) footage in 1080/240fps during the day recently and most of it is with freezing video.
Actually i did use a recommended SD-Card and official GoPro batteries.
Freezing video starts mostly after 10-30 seconds, in some cases it delayed, so there was a freeze occuring at about 2 1/2 minutes.
As described in other comments before, the audio still continues recording some euphoric cheerings, which i now miss the picture of.
Acutally in 3rd party software i could figure out, that there is video still recorded, but does not seem to be recoverable, here is an example:

General
Complete name : F:/Movies/GoPro_fo/2019_03_16_SpringButtaDrops/GoPro7_SD/GX019455.MP4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 1
Codec ID : mp41 (mp41)
File size : 199 MiB
Duration : 27 s 691 ms
Overall bit rate : 60.4 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2019-03-16 13:42:20
Tagged date : UTC 2019-03-16 13:42:20

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main@L5.1@Main
Codec ID : hvc1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration : 27 s 298 ms
Bit rate : 61.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 239.760 (240000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.123
Stream size : 198 MiB (100%)
Title : GoPro H.265
Language : English
Color range : Full
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 27 s 691 ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 kb/s
Nominal bit rate : 48.0 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 640 KiB (0%)
Title : GoPro AAC
Language : English

Other #1
Type : meta
Duration : 2 s 2 ms
Bit rate mode : VBR

Other #2
Type : meta
mdhd_Duration : 27298
Bit rate mode : VBR

i was just wondering, why is the 'general duration' and 'audio duration' 397ms longer than the 'video duration'?

________

though, this GoPro7 Black is supposed to be an awesome product with a lot of fancy stuff. 

I'd rather prefer dumping this fancy extra bull***t to get a reliable working product. Even this bug as it occurs seems pretty random to me and is not reproducable.

So i guess for the future i'll stick to my GoPro4 Silver which i never had such a hustle with and get rid of my newer GoPro7 Black, cause of its poor realiability.

Even this bug as it occurs seems pretty random to me and is barely reproducable.

Anyone interested? .... really, don't buy it!

regards,

pretty frustrated customer

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hello Everyone!

If the suggested steps does not clear the issue, the best path forward is to contact our Support Team.

They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs 

Thanks!

Ej

Just got my third hero 7 black back, and who would have guessed, still freezing so far with 2 different SD cards (samsung and sandisk)

Tourist

[ New ]

It's not the SD cards, it's a systemic flaw in the Hero7 Black.
I went through all the "troubleshooting" steps with their support and sent my camera back.  I got a replacement and sure enough the replacement had the SAME exact problem.

Of course support wants me to go through the same **bleep** "troubleshooting" steps.  

This is a systemic issue and GoPro is not acknowledging it.

Hiker

[ New ]

Adding, partly as a '+1' in that I've had this issue ruin some footage which was likely some of the best of a snowboarding trip, but also if there's any way to salvage footage, since *something* was clearly recorded looking at the file size.

Either way, I'm going to try going through the official Japan distributor to see if I can get a new(er) one which may not have this issue, or take the refund and cancel selling my old 5 which most certainly did not have this issue.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Same things happened to many of us and seems like gopro team doesnt have any solution for us. This is a problem they can't fix at the moment. Very disappointment. And there is no email for us to contact for after sales support, their Hong Kong office number never has anyone to pick up their phone during the office hour. It really sucks!!
Hiker

[ New ]
Pues nada, habrá habrá que descartar GoPro y comprar Xiaomi
Tourist

[ New ]

+1 here

I am just getting into GoPro and i've been testing few shots, and this happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PULc5m9mqXA

This is the 4th splitted file. So it didnt happen right away. It started happening about 30 minutes in.

The weather wasnt the hottest, but it was around 40 ish. The battery was probably getting low, but not THAT low since it went on for like 20 minutes. My guess is that it should have had at least 35% more left.

I am using Samsung EVO Select 128GB. Genuine GoPro battery. 2.7k 30fps Hypersmooth.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Tourist

[ New ]

@fireycreek08112

Ohh... I didn't know that also at warm temperatures that freezing is going on!

Till know I was filming only in cold weather and I get the freeze mostly if the battery is lower than 20%!

After I have noticed the missing footage, I still can record a video and it is not freezing. Did you try to record after the frozen footage (no battery exchange)?

Tourist

[ New ]

I have noticed that when this happens my GoPro becomes unresponsive. 

I can hit the red button to stop recording (it makes the beep sound) but after that i cant shut it off normally. I tried shutting it off by pressing the power long (more than normal 3 seconds) and i think it did shut off but i never tried turning it back on, so no i did not try to record after the frozen video with the same battery.

Anyway, I did more testing yesterday. It was 52 - 55 degree, so again not a cold weather.

I recorded twice with two different batteries, keeping the same sd card and still managed to get both frozen.

First Freeze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E8pDivc1yY

Second freeze is showing some private information (my license plate) so i won't be sharing that video

At first I thought maybe it happens on the creation of a new file, but as you can see it has nothing to do with creating a new file apparently. The first video doesnt freeze until 11:10. Second video @ 00:34.

Both times, it froze after about 45 minutes of recording. First recording froze in 4th split file. Second recording in the 5th split file, 

My previous post video froze after about 35 minutes and that was 4th split file

My settings are

2.7k 30FPS Hypersmooth Wide FOV Protune Off

Few more things i'm going to try:

• I mount the gopro upside down so i can adjust the angle higher on the chest mount. I'm gonna try recording the normal way and see if i can record anything more than 45 minutes. 
  • Recording with the same battery after it froze. I'm gonna try to shut it down (force it or extract the battery) and try using the same battery to record more.
  • I have total of 5 batteries. I am going to see if they all act the same. 

My gut feeling is that it is related to low battery. I will post more after i have tried these things...

Tourist

[ New ]
I have had the same problem as before, and the solution is to keep a few batteries on me and rotate them every 20 min or so when the weather is below 40F. I hold 1 or 2 in my neck gator while skiing so they are near body temp. Inserting cold batteries doesn’t work.

If the camera holder would accommodate a charging cord, at least I could keep an external battery pack in my pocket and run a cord to the camera. Of course, then it isn’t waterproof!!!