Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

I'm having the same issues, but in cold weather. Just got done with a day at snowbird and half of my footage is fine and half of my footage cuts out after 20 - 30 sec of recording. I'm shooting 60fps, 2.7k, LL auto, Stabilization auto. I don't buy that it's the memory card as it works fine for half and not fine for the other half. Seems more of the cold as it occurred later in the day.

To top it off, I ordered a bunch of accessories and batteries for this snowboarding trip, even got 2-day air purchased last Monday and it just came in. Next time I'll go through Amazon or someone better with logistics.

Hiker

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

The temperature connection is interesting and it does seem like a lot of the reports are from people using it when it's cold, but I've also seen the problem recently when the temperature was 55F+, sunny and when my bicycle was stationary so the wind wasn't cooling it off.  Perhaps the cold makes the issue worse?  Even if that's the case, I'd be interested in knowing at what temperature the camera was expected to work consistently.

Regarding the theory about the batteries, I only have official GoPro batteries (from the Hero5, 6 and 7 + 3 extras I bought).  I didn't pay much attention to which battery was in use when it froze in the past, but yesterday the camera froze when it was using the battery that came with the Hero7 Black.

Highlighted
Hiker

It was noticed during testing in the freezer that when Wi-Fi is on, hoverings start instantly.

Hiker

GoPro supported suggested that I try with the super suit. I am very skeptical that this will solve the issue, and certainly don't want to buy more accessories. However, has anyone had luck with this or can confirm that this also experiences the same video freezing issues?
Tourist

This happened to me on a few occasional while using the super suit. I am extremely skeptical that a super suit will make any difference at all. Unless you plan on diving or want the extra protection, don’t waste the $50, it won’t fix the freezing issue.

As I stated earlier, I first started experiencing this issue while diving with the supersuit in the Caribbean (warm waters!).
Hiker

Same problem, have tried literally everything in this thread and every other thread support suggestions etc. These cameras have some serious flaw and I doubt they plan on fixing it.

GoPro

Hi @grandsurf78404,

Sorry to know that. 

If you already followed the steps posted I would suggest to contact our Customer Support team via phone or chat. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

Based on everything that I read I'm considering returning the unit and taking a loss on the camera I gave in the trade up program.