Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

Try using only the original battery. I noticed that there are more problems on a non-original battery. test it. write to me.
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

I tried with the original battery many times. When the charge drops below 30-40% the camera stops recording in cold weather, I lost great footage (friends skiing, jumps, etc.), so disappointing.
Tourist

I am having the exact same problem. The clip stops recording after 15 seconds, or some small amount and freezes. Only the audio keeps recording, but the screen stays frozen. It is **bleep** hard to unfreeze it.

Not so sure this is just a temperature related issue.

The first time this happened to me was in December. I was scuba diving in the Bahamas. Water temp is in the 70s, using a super suit. I also primarily use quick capture. I always shoot at 2.7k, 60fps. I also lost lots of scuba footage. This is a pain because when you are 90feet underwater you can’t just remove the battery to reset it. Might as well be diving with extra weight at that point.

The second time it happened was this week in Australia on the beach. Temp in the high 60s.

I am using recommended SD cards. I do have a mix of generic batteries and GoPro batteries. I never had this issue with my Hero 5 but I guess I will try using just GoPro batteries. Either way it makes no sense that a $400 piece of gear is just failing at being able to record video reliability. I am on vacation now, so there really is not much I can do. I did do a factory reset, and then reformat the sd card in camera. Hope that helps.
Hiker

I will summarize my test results in the freezer (-18 centigrade). I consider the topic closed. I have two original GoPro batteries, one Telesin battery (China). I froze the camera, then turned on the video recording. and so on 5 times on each battery. on the original battery there was not a single hang. On the original 3 times out of 5 hung.
Hiker

Sorry. on non-original 3 times out of 5 hung.
Hiker

[ Edited ]

** Sorry, just read your updated post. Please disregard. Thanks for your update.  **

Hi artemufa, I also have the same problem. What did you mean by "on the original battery there was not a single hang. On the original 3

times out of 5 hung"? Thanks. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I can not confirm the battery test results from artemufa (non gopro and original gopro). I have only original gopro batteries (new) and the freezing is present!

Tourist

I have the same issue but in warm conditions too.

1. Costa Rica, about 25°C (> warm!), firmware 1.51 (? Nov. 2018), whitewater rafting. Some vootage worked, the last one only recorded audio after 10-15 seconds. The camera was on the helmet and I noticed that there were no beeps when I tried to stop recording (I prefer several clips of some minutes instead on clip of an hour). The others told me that the camera indicates that it's still recording. Since we did whitewater rafting, I couldn't do anything. In fact the camera was frozen. Missed some cool action, very frustrating.

Firmware update: 1.70

2. Dog sledding, winter of course, total clip 07:20, after 11 seconds video freezes, 3.15 GB file.

3. Snowmobile, two days before dog sledding the same here.

My intention was to capture these winter adventures with the GoPro so I don't have to care about camera stuff Smiley Frustrated Luckily I didn't rely only on the GoPro: My compact camera Sony HX90V - which is not an action camera - worked just fine. The GoPro was only frustration and ballast, nothing I'll recommend. And because GoPro isn't doing a lot here to help their customers, I'm pretty sure it was my last GoPro product.

Hero 7 Black with original battery

SanDisk Extreme UHS 3 V30 A1

2.7k, 60, W, 16:9