Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

Insta 360 one X is an entirely different camera, is only going to give you 1080p in traditional 2D video. creates huge files, and is much more laborious to edit on a computer. The makers of Insta 360 One X are really trying hard to convince people that they are a direct competitor to GoPro, but they really are not.

I enjoy making videos with my 360 camera (Fusion), but these types of cameras are far from being in the same market as HERO7 Black. For a 360 camera, the image quality is very good on the Insta 360 One X and Fusion but it is nowhere close to being as good as the HERO7 Black. Also, you are going to be getting very strong lens distortion "Fish Eye" effect.

Having a 360 camera as a second or third camera for occasional fun and creative shooting is cool, but most certainly shouldn't be your primary camera and are absolutely not a replacement for a proper action camera.

If you think the Insta 360 One x doesn't have it's share of issues (especially with cold weather) you might want to do some research.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Insta360/comments/ark3fq/battery_drain_when_turned_off/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Insta360/comments/ai6zv0/insta360_one_x_with_snow/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Insta360/comments/aoejug/one_x_stuck_after_most_boot_ups/

"Now the snow has hit the alps, I have been using the Insta360 One X for Splitboarding. The footage is great, but on my tour up the mountain, I kept the camera inside its neoprene pouch and in my pocket. Therefore, it is well insulated and protected from the cold. However, for the ride back down, the battery went flat after a matter of minutes. The cold really affects the battery life on the Insta360 One X. However, once I put it back in the warm and looked at it later, the battery level indicator showed that it is was at half charge. This allowed me to get a couple more minutes out of it before it died again. This was very frustrating, as I missed some great moments from our ride in perfect powder" (MTB-Threads insta360-one-x-mountain-biking).

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

Question to those who asked the GoPro Support for a replacement camera : had you purchased your camera from the GoPro site ?

I wonder how it will work in France if you have purchased the camera from another web retailer.

And do you think a full refund is also possible although the 30-day period is over ?

GoPro would maybe take this issue into consideration if they had a significative number of returns and refund claims.

Highlighted
Tourist

@mariustanya it is obvious that the camera has problems in cold condition and it is not related to SD card or resolution. I did some tests and one way to get less freezing is to use quick shot. BUT that cannot be the solution for this problem!

I cannot recommend the camera, because you never know if your records are useful or not!

Highlighted
Hiker

boldstoke314  tested in the cold when using a powerbank, works fine. Yes?

Highlighted
Tourist

@agilepike64642 wrote:

Question to those who asked the GoPro Support for a replacement camera : had you purchased your camera from the GoPro site ?

I wonder how it will work in France if you have purchased the camera from another web retailer.

And do you think a full refund is also possible although the 30-day period is over ?

GoPro would maybe take this issue into consideration if they had a significative number of returns and refund claims.

I've been to another distributor in my country and I wonder if I have any problems with my camcorder, can I return it? The answer was to send it to a service center.

Highlighted
Explorer

@agilepike64642 

1) You should first try to get a replacement/refund from the web retailer that you purchased the camera from

2) GoPro offers a 30-day money back policy for cameras purchased from their site.  Not from others and not after 30 days.

3) Most people (myself included) have no issues with their Hero7 Black.

And finally, in the warranty guide that came printed with the camera it states, " Avoid exposing your camera or battery to very cold or very hot temperatures. Low or high temperature conditions may shorten the battery life or cause the camera to temporarily stop working
properly." 

Highlighted
Tourist

@danielr15 wrote:

@agilepike64642 

1) You should first try to get a replacement/refund from the web retailer that you purchased the camera from

2) GoPro offers a 30-day money back policy for cameras purchased from their site.  Not from others and not after 30 days.

3) Most people (myself included) have no issues with their Hero7 Black.

And finally, in the warranty guide that came printed with the camera it states, " Avoid exposing your camera or battery to very cold or very hot temperatures. Low or high temperature conditions may shorten the battery life or cause the camera to temporarily stop working
properly." 

It was not about exposing the battery to temperature differences but about freezing the picture during high resolution shooting, 4k / 60fps, even at 2k.

Highlighted
Explorer

Again, I haven't had this issue. neither has my son, brother in law, or my neighbor. So, with that, I can only say that it's not all HERO7 Black cameras that have an issue and if support is suggesting an exchange, that's the best course of action.