Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

I strongly suspect that anything you do to keep it warm would be significantly helpful. That means using the underwater case or super suit or whatever it is called would help significantly. Also keeping the camera in your pocket and taking it out when you need it should help. Perhaps with some additional handwarmers in there and on an inside pocket would be best. Of course still not acceptable solutions for what should be the best action camera on the market. Not to be facetious but I think there are some pretty good action sports that happen in cold weather.

Of course using that case would ruin the audio but that is better than rude in the video. And the new GoPro’s with the case on them are significantly larger than all the go pros prior to the hero five. Another bummer in fact about the new go pros that is that they are larger when they are most protected.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

The major issue here is that the camera does not shut off when it is cold but it keeps recording giving a false impression that the video is good but it is not and you end up getting a ruined session.
Highlighted
Tourist

I use a waterproof case and it doesn't help, it keeps losing fotage. Alsp, keeping the camera in your pocket when you're snowboarding or skiing can be dangerous because when/if you fall the camera can impact with your body, I always limit the amount of hard stuff I keep in my pockets because of this reason (it happened to me before).
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello Everyone. Sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing with your cameras. We would like to make sure that your cameras are working smoothly so if you have already gone through recommended troubleshooting steps for camera freezing (like the ones detailed here) and you still observe the same problem, let our Support team help. This way, cases can be created and reported directly to the team in charge. Although we had this issue reported already, it would be a great help to gather more information directly from you. Our Support team's contact information is at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Let us know how it works out. 

Highlighted
Tourist

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello Everyone. Sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing with your cameras. We would like to make sure that your cameras are working smoothly so if you have already gone through recommended troubleshooting steps for camera freezing (like the ones detailed here) and you still observe the same problem, let our Support team help. This way, cases can be created and reported directly to the team in charge. Although we had this issue reported already, it would be a great help to gather more information directly from you. Our Support team's contact information is at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Let us know how it works out. 

Hello!
With great sorry for me, I tell you that I will give up buying this camcorder, I was a click away from buying it.
I read the whole topic and I am disappointed with the way GOPRO treats its clients, many with this problem, a case similar to GALAXY NOTE 7 that was withdrawn from the market.
All indications given by you @mariustanya have already been made by the owners of your top product and the results were 0 (zero).
It is offensive to refer to all sorts of details, such as the SD card type. Well, if so, what would happen with brands like Sony or Panasonic, etc? Which also use all the minicard sd, not to mention that there are some users who own H7 black purchased with minicard sd bonus from you and they have the same problem !!!!!

Highlighted
Hiker

Im really sick of it... have had several issues since buying this cam at product launch. First the horrible (AND STILL constantly appearing) Super "slowness" in the video, where the video seems to run at 12 frames whilst audio is; and now the dual image freeze, which I got yesterday after updating firmware, reseting the cam and even buying a new, supported cam. What the hell is this product? I cant rely on it in any way and it drives me mad and crazy.

Stop suggesting reseting, updating and reseting it again because the problem is somewhere elsewhere on the company side, not the customer side. I guess, there is no one reading these posts anyway, since its always the same guys pointing the "solutions". Sad story, since everybody wants this cam to work.

Guess, I'll mount my Sony x3000 to my helmet, never gave up on me and had the superior stabilisation for a couple of years.

Highlighted
Hiker

@mariustanya I contacted support again as you requested.  They were not able to provide any help or updates on this issue.

They did try to get me to once again do a manual update of the firmware even though I've done that many times.

They offered to once again replace the camera under warranty, but since I've already had the camera replaced once for this issue and the replacement had the same issue I am skeptical another camera will work.  GoPro also refuses to send the replacement camera until they have my old camera, which means going without any camera for a couple of weeks which is not acceptable.  If I knew it was going to fix the issue I'd do it, but given my past experience I am skeptical.

@mariustanya does GoPro believe that this is an issue that only affects certain Hero7 Black cameras and that the cameras should be replaced with new ones until one works?  If GoPro does believe there is a batch of bad cameras then I'd be willing to try another replacement.

For anyone else on the thread that has experienced the issue, did a replacement camera resolve the issue for you?

Highlighted
Tourist

I got a replacement which took 2 weeks to get it. I will try to use it recently. 

For the people who are not satisfied with GoPro 7 black, I think insta360 one x would be a good choice. I am planning to have one. From the youtube reviews, It is not a bad choice. And it does have the low-temperature battery. I think it would be awesome for winter sports.