Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

Issue persists, I lost valuable footage on a snowtrip today, I had manually installed the latest firmware, factory reset and even bought a newer and more expensive micro SD car. Poor quality product, I would never recommend GoPro to anyone I know.
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero7 Black Freezes, video file shows frozen image but audio continues recording

C'est une plaisanterie?

Nous sommes nombreux à utiliser des gopro 6,7 ou autres,à avoir ce meme probleme apres avoir fait toutes les mises à jours de toutes les manieres possible et inimaginable et le probleme est toujours present...

Aucune mise a jour depuis debut 2018 alors que le probleme vous est signalé depuis novembre 2018...

C'est juste inaceptable de la part d'une enseigne comme la vôtre...

personne ici ne peux utiliser sa camera sans avoir peur de perdre ses ficher...

Highlighted
Explorer

I can, and do.
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

@graytree76514
I think this is a poor response to people's concerns.

I just purchased a hero7 black, 5 days ago.
I updated it immediately to the latest firmware.

I have a recommended SD card, a Samsung EVO Select 128GB.

I was skiing over the past 3 days and had the settings set to 4k@60fps.

At least a 1/3 - 1/2 of the clips are completely useless. The audio keeps being recorded, but the video does not. On other clips it records correctly.

Clearly this is not an isolated issue as can be seen with all the reports.

GoPro needs to address this immediately. Either your list of SD cards is incorrect, or there is something fundamentally wrong with the software/hardware of the device.

There seems to be a looming situation that could turn into a PR issue. GoPro is supposed represent unfettered quality and ruggedness.

Highlighted
Tourist

I've had the same problem - after 5 or 10 seconds, there is a bright flash for 1 frame and then within about 1 second the frame freezes, but keeps recording audio.  Happens for me in cold weather conditions (I have the latest update as of Jan 23rd) and with a fresh battery.  Sometimes it was WiFi enabled and sometimes not.  Even long recording over multiple filenames remain frozen.  2.7k at 60 fps.

(PS - ruined my ability to take videos...I resorted back to my Hero 5 Black which always works)

Highlighted
Hiker

I confirm the bright flash that can be seen a few frames before the image freezes !

At least GoPro has a lead to work on.

I wonder however if the bug is not related to the latest firmware update...in October I shot long videos on and under the water - temperature around 30°C - I have no recollection at all of such a problem (I had the slow pan stuttering problem though :/ !)

Do you guys have encountered the problem with previous firmware ?

I assume there is a way to reinstall older versions of firmwares ?

Marc 

Highlighted
Tourist

This has happened with all versions. I pre-purchased the product and got it on day one and without the firmware update and it still it happened. Then with the first firmware it happened again and now with the latest it still happens.

This is certainly an issue with the actual machine. I suspect that when it gets cold either the GoPro itself has a new issue unlike previous GoPro’s where the mechanism or circuitry that feeds the video stops working and that which feeds the audio does not. It might have to do with voltage because in cold weather the voltage may drop and only support the audio recording.

I’m doing a series of experiments right now by freezing or nearly freezing the batteries and putting them in a warm go Pro and vice versa that is freezing the go Pro and putting a warm battery inside to see if I get the frozen videos. if it is a cold battery than attaching the go Pro to an external battery supply with a wire and putting it in the freezer and putting the battery supply outside the freezer would lead to normal videos. I tried this for an hour long recording of the inside of my freezer without any issues last night. However, since this problem is sporadic I can’t tell you for sure if it is simply a cold battery issue with this new go pro. Obviously this seems to happen only in cold weather for all of the posts so it is certainly a cold-weather issue but if it is a cold battery issue this might be one possible solution to record in cold weather although of course not perfect. Another solution would be to have a bunch of batteries that you keep in a pocket with a hand warmer and you have to switch them around. Of course not acceptable but something that could be done until GoPro either fix it or gives you a new camera which will certainly happen if they don’t come up With a solution.

Highlighted
Hiker

very interesting, thank you.

has anyone had the issue when using a Supersuit when skiing ? Or even with a silicone sleeve (which covers only very partially the case) ?