Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero6 freezes with external power source

@mariustanya, I just completed all the tests you did and more. Here's what I found:

Recorded in 4k/60 with Anker PowerCore 13000 Power Bank:

-Battery in, with mic adapter connected, in idle mode - camera shows the battery charging indicator, white not green - SAME

-Battery in, with mic adapter connected, in recording mode - camera shows actual battery indicator, recording lasts at least 1 minute - SAME

-Battery out, with mic adapter connected, in idle mode - camera shows the circular battery indicator, white not green - SAME

-Battery out, with mic adapter connected, in recording mode - camera shows the circular battery indicator, recording lasted 18 seconds then shut off the first time. Second time it lasted 1’ 24” then shut off. THIRD time lasted 1’ 18” then shut off.

*-Battery out, without mic adapter connected, in idle mode - Shows white circular battery indicator

*-Battery out, without mic adapter connected, in record mode - Camera shuts off immediately; does not record.

——————————————————————————————

WITH ANKER AC WALL POWER UNIT:

-Battery out, without mic adapter connected, in idle mode - Shows white circular battery indicator

-Battery out, without mic adapter connected, in record mode - Shows white circular battery indicator. Recorded at least 2 mins. Did not shut off.

-Battery out, with mic adapter connected, in idle mode - Shows white circular battery indicator

-Battery out, with mic adapter connected, in record mode - Shows white circular battery indicator. Recorded at least 2 mins. Did not shut off.

-Battery in, without mic adapter connected, in idle mode - Sometimes shows green fast charge battery indicator, sometimes normal white battery charging indicator

-Battery in, without mic adapter connected, in record mode - Shows actual battery indicator. Recorded at least 2 mins. Did not shut off.

-Battery in, with mic adapter connected, in idle mode - Shows white charge battery indicator

-Battery in, with mic adapter connected, in record mode - Shows actual battery indicator. Recorded at least 2 mins. Did not shut off.

It seems to me that the Power Bank is not outputting enough power, which is odd because it's rated at 5V/3A, which should definitely be enough power for it. Thoughts?

Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

ANker powerbank. put to the side, go grab a smartphone charger plug it in there and give it a shot the camera works then you got an issue with the powerbank. i and if it dies then the camera. then go find an outdated firmware and flash and retry.  

Highlighted
GoPro

Great testing you did there, @drmmrboy24.  Based on the results, it seems that the odd factor is the power bank. If it actually outputs 5V 3A, it should be able to supply enough power to allow the camera to continue recording. The GoPro power pack I used outputs 5V, 1.5 A but it works fine. 

I agree with Fishy in terms of further tests suggested. If you can test with a different power bank, that would be greatly helpful in further isolating the source of trouble. Let us see how it will go. 

Many thanks!

Highlighted
Hiker

@mariustanya, Unfortunately, I don't have another power bank so I won't be able to test any further. Fishy suggests I downgrade firmware. Is this wise?

Highlighted
Adventurer

I also suggested for you to do a smartphone charger?  did you try that.

I take the sdxc card  and fully not quick format try that as well.  gopro  will tell you @drmmrboy24 its best  to  be up to date and keep to the latest, that is how gopro sees it.

FISH

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @drmmrboy24

Although the issues may not be apparent with an older firmware for some, it would always be best that the camera has the latest firmware. The latest firmware has the features supported by the old firmware plus some improvement and/or corrections.

By the way, I tested my setup with a different, non-GoPro power bank (Asus)  and I was able to record at 4K, 60fps for more than 10 minutes, until I stopped it. I was getting the same icons/indicators. We just do not have a list of compatible/recommended power banks, but considering the results we have gathered so far, it could be a case of compatibility with the power bank used. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Hiker

@mariustanya, I find it hard to believe that my power bank is incompatible. it works fine charging my phone, so it's not defective. Actually, come to think of it, I used to use this with my Hero4 Black and never had issues. Maybe I have a defective unit (my 2nd defective unit from GoPro). 

Highlighted
GoPro

This could be a possibility as well, @drmmrboy24. Did you mean this is not your first HERO6 Black camera?  There is no better way to tell unless we can test with a different camera/unit. Our Support team will be able to assist in this regard.