Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero6 freezes with external power source

@drmmrboy24 the  mod should be finding your answer @mariustanya  so in the mean time hope this may help out

Highlighted
Adventurer

@mariustanya   Please do report with the answers we're looking for.  WHy no green indicator when a promic is placed on with  a gopro usb type C cable and powerbank?   and when the Promic removed the indocator correctly displays  for charging.

I know the gopro will not  charge while recording. that is Normal but a camera should work correctly.

the OP @drmmrboy24 has an issue and  his camera crashes why?   I showed thart the camera works wiht a PNY elite card  no issues. if a sandisk extreme plus needs to be demo'd  it will do the sam if ask WORK, his is not why?   I am on FIRMWARE 1.60 will not update. for my personal reasons.

Highlighted
Adventurer

@drmmrboy24 @mariustanya  I re watched the clip you got right away an issue the Circle is hte battery in the camera? to me that is not in the camera the internal battery?

Highlighted
Hiker

@fishycomics, It seems you didn't read my entire thread. I've tried it both with the internal battery in and not in. Yesterday when I shot the troubleshooting video, the battery was not in. I've had this issue of the GoPro freezing with the battery and without the battery. 

Highlighted
Hiker

@retrocentric, I read your thread and had a question for you about this freezing issue. I'm finding that when plugging an external power pack directly into the GoPro, it's using the internal battery over the external. You said yours choosing the external first. Did you find this is always the case? I would think that it should use the external first until it runs out of juice, then switch to the internal battery. 

@mariustanya, which battery should the camera default to first, the external or internal battery? Mine defaults to internal, @retrocentric defaults to external. Why is that?

Highlighted
Hiker

@fishycomics, according to another post I read, the 3.5 audio adapter does not use fast charging (the green charge indicator). You can only get fast charging when plugged directly into the camera. Kinda lame, if you ask me. 

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hello @fishycomics and @drmmrboy24

Thank you for your input, and for posting videos to describe the issue. I did the same setup on my end. I used a HERO6 Black camera with firmware 2.01, the Pro Mic Adpter, a USB-C charging cable, and a Power Pack (only because I do not have access to an Anker power bank). A 32-GB Sandisk Extreme micro SD card was used. 

Oddly, I got a different symbol for battery indicator while the camera was powered on but in idle state. I attached pictures. I also tried recording in 4K at 60 fps, and it went fine. Like what Fishy mentioned, the battery stops charging once recording starts. 

Here are the results that I gathered:

Battery in, with mic adapter connected, in idle mode - camera shows the battery charging indicator, white not green

Battery in, with mic adapter connected, in recording mode - camera shows actual battery indicator, recording lasts at least 1 minute

Battery out, with mic adapter connected, in idle mode - camera shows the circular battery indicator, white not green

Battery out, with mic adapter connected, in recording mode - camera shows the circular battery indicator, recording lasts at least 1 minute (but lasts longer and camera does not freeze. I stopped the recording when it hit 10 minutes). 

Obviously, there are indicators on the camera and camera behavior as well that are entirely different, most interesting of which is your cameras freezing or turning off when attempting to record. Could it be because Fishy has his camera in a different firmware? Have you been able to manually update your camera, @drmmrboy24? If you have noticed, the camera I have used has the gray logo. Although this should not have an impact as the coloring is merely aesthetics. 

@drmmrboy24, your post came in while I was preparing this reply. As observed, when recording, the camera seems to be relying on the internal battery. 

Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

thanks guys.    I do not think anyone else   mentioned an issue like this  and from fw 1.20-2.01 so i say it is the camera  at fault. if asked. Only way to prove that theory is to find a downgraded firmware and try  gopro does not offer old fw you could have saved a copy or search for one