Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero6 freezes with external power source

[ New ]

I have an Anker 13000 mAh charger. When I have a battery in the GoPro, the Anker only charges for a while but when I start recording the GoPro stops running off the Anker power (and the GoPro battery depletes quickly) or the camera freezes all-together until I have to remove the internal battery and restart the camera. I've tried this with the Anker plugged directly into the camera and with it plugged into the 3.5 GoPro audio adapter. Neither work. I'm using the USB-C cable that came with the GoPro. 

I tried doing it again today and the Anker kept freezing the camera. It just doesn't power it. It is because 13000 mAh is not strong enough to power the GoPro?? Someone else on here has the same problem. What's the fix?? 

GoPro

Re: Hero6 freezes with external power source

[ New ]

Hello @drmmrboy24

Thank you for the details that you provided. Does your HERO6 Black camera work fine with the mic adapter when the power bank is not connected? Some users have reported that some power banks stops charging the camera (battery) once it has reached full charged so the battery depletes until it drains even when the setup is still connected to the power bank. We just do not have a knowledge-based article on how different power banks interact with GoPro cameras so I am not able to provide more specific information. 

What is the output voltage/charge of the Anker power bank that you have? As long is it is able too provide 5V, 2A, it should be fine. Ever explored using the setup without the battery in the camera? does the power bank still make the camera-adapter setup work? Or test with a different battery? Aside form the power issues, we would also like to look into other reasons for the camera freezing, such as the SD card that you are using, and the firmware installed on your camera. Ensure that your camera is updated to the latest firmware, and that you are using one of the recommended cards in this list. 

Feel free to post back for results, or other questions 

Many thanks, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya,

Thanks for your reply. My Anker supplies 5V 3A (3A max per port), so it shouldn't be a problem, right? Yesterday, I took the battery out and tried to power it only with the Anker through the audio adapter. It didn't work. Kept freezing up the camera. I had to eventually just use a GoPro battery only. The camera is only a couple weeks old, so it shouldn't be an issue with the GoPro batteries. The Anker either freezes the camera, makes it shut off completely, or shoots for a short period of time until it stops and then the clip tries to repair itself. 

I looked at the footage I shot yesterday (with the internal battery) and also noticed that some clips were cut off/incomplete. I shot a full band rehearsal. Not sure what's going on with this camera. 

I've attached a photo of the 2 kinds of MicroSD cards I use. Yesterday I was using the black one (128GB). I was shooting in 1080p/24. Those cards should both be fine for that, right? Would they still be okay if I shot in 4k/120? I'm using the latest firmware (02.01)

IMG_7834.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Glad to hear back from you, @drmmrboy24 . We're good with the SD cards that you are using. Thank you for posting pictures of them. The HERO6 Black camera though does not support the 120 fps frame rate in 4K. It can support 60 fps as the highest but this would make use of HEVC

Was your camera already with firmware 2.01 when you got it? If you have not done it yet, try manually updating your camera (even if it is already with the latest firmware). This is to ensure that errors with the current installation will be cleared out. You can do the update by following the instructions below: 

1. Go to the HERO6 Black update page.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system.

Make sure that your camera is fully charged and that the SD card is formatted prior to updating. If the issue continues to persist after these steps, our Support team will be able to assist you with further steps. You can reach them here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya,

The camera did not come with the update. I updated it after I received it. So my 32GB card will work with 4k/60? This card is not a V30 card. 

Thank you for your reply.

GoPro

[ New ]

Yes, it should work fine. I am actually using the same SD card in my HERO6 Black camera and able to record in 4K 60fps fine. It is actually one of the recommended cards on this list

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya,

Please view this Youtube link: https://youtu.be/sweTmu3H3ks, It shows that my GoPro always shuts down when hitting the record button while being powered by the Anker. I was playing with this, this morning and it was working then so I'm not sure what's changed since this morning. 

I've played with the aspect ratio settings, thinking maybe a larger aspect uses more power but even 1080 doesn't work. I've formatted the SD card. It works fine when an internal battery is inserted. The wifi connection is turned off, as well as GPS and voice activation. I'm trying to use as little energy as possible yet the Anker still is not powering the GoPro. Thoughts??

Anker power supply does not power GoPro Hero6
Adventurer

[ New ]

@drmmrboy24   excellent to see th actual trouble video,  that really helps out to understand the issue.  

I have a Anker 10.000mah.  I have a sdxc card . I have the promic adapter.

I'll give this a shot later. but in the mean time pull the battery and   try that with the power bank.

Process of elimenation.    factory reset your camera try it again.   then lets try taking out the battery in the camera. .   and then see if  jsut a wall charger gets iton and working.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@drmmrboy24 the  mod should be finding your answer @mariustanya  so in the mean time hope this may help out

Adventurer

[ New ]

@mariustanya   Please do report with the answers we're looking for.  WHy no green indicator when a promic is placed on with  a gopro usb type C cable and powerbank?   and when the Promic removed the indocator correctly displays  for charging.

I know the gopro will not  charge while recording. that is Normal but a camera should work correctly.

the OP @drmmrboy24 has an issue and  his camera crashes why?   I showed thart the camera works wiht a PNY elite card  no issues. if a sandisk extreme plus needs to be demo'd  it will do the sam if ask WORK, his is not why?   I am on FIRMWARE 1.60 will not update. for my personal reasons.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@drmmrboy24 @mariustanya  I re watched the clip you got right away an issue the Circle is hte battery in the camera? to me that is not in the camera the internal battery?

Hiker

[ New ]

@fishycomics, It seems you didn't read my entire thread. I've tried it both with the internal battery in and not in. Yesterday when I shot the troubleshooting video, the battery was not in. I've had this issue of the GoPro freezing with the battery and without the battery. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@retrocentric, I read your thread and had a question for you about this freezing issue. I'm finding that when plugging an external power pack directly into the GoPro, it's using the internal battery over the external. You said yours choosing the external first. Did you find this is always the case? I would think that it should use the external first until it runs out of juice, then switch to the internal battery. 

@mariustanya, which battery should the camera default to first, the external or internal battery? Mine defaults to internal, @retrocentric defaults to external. Why is that?

Hiker

[ New ]

@fishycomics, according to another post I read, the 3.5 audio adapter does not use fast charging (the green charge indicator). You can only get fast charging when plugged directly into the camera. Kinda lame, if you ask me. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @fishycomics and @drmmrboy24

Thank you for your input, and for posting videos to describe the issue. I did the same setup on my end. I used a HERO6 Black camera with firmware 2.01, the Pro Mic Adpter, a USB-C charging cable, and a Power Pack (only because I do not have access to an Anker power bank). A 32-GB Sandisk Extreme micro SD card was used. 

Oddly, I got a different symbol for battery indicator while the camera was powered on but in idle state. I attached pictures. I also tried recording in 4K at 60 fps, and it went fine. Like what Fishy mentioned, the battery stops charging once recording starts. 

Here are the results that I gathered:

Battery in, with mic adapter connected, in idle mode - camera shows the battery charging indicator, white not green

Battery in, with mic adapter connected, in recording mode - camera shows actual battery indicator, recording lasts at least 1 minute

Battery out, with mic adapter connected, in idle mode - camera shows the circular battery indicator, white not green

Battery out, with mic adapter connected, in recording mode - camera shows the circular battery indicator, recording lasts at least 1 minute (but lasts longer and camera does not freeze. I stopped the recording when it hit 10 minutes). 

Obviously, there are indicators on the camera and camera behavior as well that are entirely different, most interesting of which is your cameras freezing or turning off when attempting to record. Could it be because Fishy has his camera in a different firmware? Have you been able to manually update your camera, @drmmrboy24? If you have noticed, the camera I have used has the gray logo. Although this should not have an impact as the coloring is merely aesthetics. 

@drmmrboy24, your post came in while I was preparing this reply. As observed, when recording, the camera seems to be relying on the internal battery. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

thanks guys.    I do not think anyone else   mentioned an issue like this  and from fw 1.20-2.01 so i say it is the camera  at fault. if asked. Only way to prove that theory is to find a downgraded firmware and try  gopro does not offer old fw you could have saved a copy or search for one

GoPro

[ New ]

@fishycomics, Do you always get the green indicator when charging your camera?

Adventurer

[ New ]

@mariustanya

Older I get harder to see, so I had to put a stronger glasses on (myBad).   This is a gopro official cable wit hthe Blue insert:

1 cable to camera to  powerbank, turn on it is white.. I simply unplug from camera and back in the white changes to Green.,

2 aftermarket USB type C   same scenerio   same thing

3 Hero 5  same scenerio no green

I wonder if I stumbled on to something Lol green inicator is  the fast charge.  and  running fw 1.60  from factory purchase.

If I  do not replug it stays  white ( wit hte lightning line

Hiker

[ New ]
@mariustanya, I have to run to work now so I'll dive into this more later tonight. Two questions for now, why is your logo color different than mine? I understand this is just aesthetics, but is it? Maybe there's something different about my model even though they're both Hero 6's?

Also, does your camera default to using external power or internal power first (with a battery in)? I asked this question somewhere in this thread. Mine favors internal first, another user's favors external. Why is that?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @drmmrboy24

My camera were among the first batches of the HERO6 Black, hence the gray logo. I do not have one here with the colored logo so I am not able to test how it works. With the battery in, the camera defaults to internal battery when recording starts. Without the battery though, my camera continues to record until I stop recording, or until the SD  card capacity is consumed. 

Thanks!

Adventurer

[ New ]

blue logo is hte latest batch of camera's they come loaded with fw 1.60 the original came out late sept/oct 5th with fw 1.0*   there were issues with fw's and camera software that firmware 1.20 -2.01 that improves userability.  bugs and fixes.   As we see here how simple itwas to stumble apone the green fast charge thing... 

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the details you shared, @fishycomics. Interesting. I have not seen such a green indicator before. I also tried with different USB-C cables (one with white, another with blue insert), and with a non-GoPro power bank but to no avail. I wonder if @drmmrboy24 gets the green indicator on his camera. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya, I will do the same tests you did as soon as possible. I have a messed up work schedule but hopefully I can do this tonight. I will definitely post my result here at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later. 

Adventurer

[ New ]
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya, I just completed all the tests you did and more. Here's what I found:

Recorded in 4k/60 with Anker PowerCore 13000 Power Bank:

-Battery in, with mic adapter connected, in idle mode - camera shows the battery charging indicator, white not green - SAME

-Battery in, with mic adapter connected, in recording mode - camera shows actual battery indicator, recording lasts at least 1 minute - SAME

-Battery out, with mic adapter connected, in idle mode - camera shows the circular battery indicator, white not green - SAME

-Battery out, with mic adapter connected, in recording mode - camera shows the circular battery indicator, recording lasted 18 seconds then shut off the first time. Second time it lasted 1’ 24” then shut off. THIRD time lasted 1’ 18” then shut off.

*-Battery out, without mic adapter connected, in idle mode - Shows white circular battery indicator

*-Battery out, without mic adapter connected, in record mode - Camera shuts off immediately; does not record.

——————————————————————————————

WITH ANKER AC WALL POWER UNIT:

-Battery out, without mic adapter connected, in idle mode - Shows white circular battery indicator

-Battery out, without mic adapter connected, in record mode - Shows white circular battery indicator. Recorded at least 2 mins. Did not shut off.

-Battery out, with mic adapter connected, in idle mode - Shows white circular battery indicator

-Battery out, with mic adapter connected, in record mode - Shows white circular battery indicator. Recorded at least 2 mins. Did not shut off.

-Battery in, without mic adapter connected, in idle mode - Sometimes shows green fast charge battery indicator, sometimes normal white battery charging indicator

-Battery in, without mic adapter connected, in record mode - Shows actual battery indicator. Recorded at least 2 mins. Did not shut off.

-Battery in, with mic adapter connected, in idle mode - Shows white charge battery indicator

-Battery in, with mic adapter connected, in record mode - Shows actual battery indicator. Recorded at least 2 mins. Did not shut off.

It seems to me that the Power Bank is not outputting enough power, which is odd because it's rated at 5V/3A, which should definitely be enough power for it. Thoughts?

Adventurer

[ New ]

ANker powerbank. put to the side, go grab a smartphone charger plug it in there and give it a shot the camera works then you got an issue with the powerbank. i and if it dies then the camera. then go find an outdated firmware and flash and retry.  

GoPro

[ New ]

Great testing you did there, @drmmrboy24.  Based on the results, it seems that the odd factor is the power bank. If it actually outputs 5V 3A, it should be able to supply enough power to allow the camera to continue recording. The GoPro power pack I used outputs 5V, 1.5 A but it works fine. 

I agree with Fishy in terms of further tests suggested. If you can test with a different power bank, that would be greatly helpful in further isolating the source of trouble. Let us see how it will go. 

Many thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya, Unfortunately, I don't have another power bank so I won't be able to test any further. Fishy suggests I downgrade firmware. Is this wise?

Adventurer

[ New ]

I also suggested for you to do a smartphone charger?  did you try that.

I take the sdxc card  and fully not quick format try that as well.  gopro  will tell you @drmmrboy24 its best  to  be up to date and keep to the latest, that is how gopro sees it.

FISH

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @drmmrboy24

Although the issues may not be apparent with an older firmware for some, it would always be best that the camera has the latest firmware. The latest firmware has the features supported by the old firmware plus some improvement and/or corrections.

By the way, I tested my setup with a different, non-GoPro power bank (Asus)  and I was able to record at 4K, 60fps for more than 10 minutes, until I stopped it. I was getting the same icons/indicators. We just do not have a list of compatible/recommended power banks, but considering the results we have gathered so far, it could be a case of compatibility with the power bank used. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya, I find it hard to believe that my power bank is incompatible. it works fine charging my phone, so it's not defective. Actually, come to think of it, I used to use this with my Hero4 Black and never had issues. Maybe I have a defective unit (my 2nd defective unit from GoPro). 

GoPro

[ New ]

This could be a possibility as well, @drmmrboy24. Did you mean this is not your first HERO6 Black camera?  There is no better way to tell unless we can test with a different camera/unit. Our Support team will be able to assist in this regard. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

Keep me posted   of what resolves the issue.  hestill has the charger by a wall to do?

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya, This is my 2nd Hero6. The first one I received had a dead pixel so I returned it for another one. This 2nd one (the one I have now) did not come in brand new packaging. I only received a camera, so I hope it's not a refurbished one. I'd be pretty pissed if it was but there's no way to tell. :/

Hiker

[ New ]

@fishycomics, I don't understand your question.

Adventurer

[ New ]

you need to again do another test powerbank NO SD card  hit record?  shuts down  or  stays on.

I said three plus times

smartphone charger. to camera. with and without the battery.  I said to format your sd card full not a quick format. do this in your ocmputer not camera.

SInce this is a returned  and replaced camera  you should not have issues at all. but you do.  you have the firmware to downgrade that is your option to test out.

Keep this thread posted.  as  some troubles that a camera freezes is a sd card issue never know

Explorer

[ New ]
Replacement cameras are new but are not shipped in retail packaging. Since the retail packaging is part of marketing, it would be silly, and not make much financial sense, to waste money sending replacements in the retail packaging. The new camera should have come in a brown cardboard box.
Hiker

[ New ]

@danielr15, Good to know. That's how I received it, in a brown cardboard box. Thanks.

@fishycomics & @mariustanya, Firmware 1.60 "kind of" worked. Better results but still not perfect. Here's what I found:

-Battery out, without mic adapter connected, in record mode - WORKS! Recorded over 2 mins without stopping. This did not work at all with v.2.01. 

-Battery out, with mic adapter connected, in recording mode - camera shows the circular battery indicator - Kind of worked. First time shut down before 2 min mark. Second time, recorded over 2:30 mins without stopping but then when I tried to hit stop, it shut down. So something is still weird here. 

-Battery in, with mic adapter connected, in recording mode - camera shows the actual battery indicator. WORKS! Recorded over 2 mins without stopping & saved file. 

For now I'll be sticking with v1.60, but GoPro should know about their bug in v.2.01.

Hopefully these results will be consistent when I try to record something for real in the wild. 

Thanks for your suggestions guys!

Hiker

[ New ]
Addendum - I tried again -Battery out, with mic adapter connected, in recording mode and it didn't work at all. I put a battery in and it worked. So, not consistent results. :/
Adventurer

[ New ]

@mariustanya  

So what you're saying firmware 2.01 has  a bug. I have yet  to update, and our Moderator @mariustanya has his camera running fine. it still leads to  your camera with an issue and you need to resolve  this, and  reverting back gets you    it running    for now.  Do you think    GoPro at the   actual Custpmer Service with the case can   replace your camera? and you be on your way with a proper update and running camera?

FISH

Happy you got this working 

Hiker

[ New ]

@fishycomics, I can't say for certain but it seems like it's a bug. Or maybe it's my camera. Hard to tell. I'm trying to avoid calling customer service since they already had to replace a camera for me but I'm shooting something this weekend and if it gives me issues I probably will call them and complain. Although to be safe, I'm probably going to go with AC power so I may not have any issues at all. I can't risk not getting a shot because I'm testing to see if this works or not. You know what I mean? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing your results, @drmmrboy24. A lot of factors that we have noted, so far. Different firmware, different logos, different behaviors even with the same setup or condition. A question, how do you do the recording? Do you press on the shutter button while the camera is off? This is by way of Quik Capture and stopping the recording by pressing on the shutter button again will cause the camera to shut down. If you have done the recording by turning the camera on first via mode button, and then record via shutter button, and the camera kind of worked, then there is clearly an issue.

We cannot confirm it to be a bug with the latest version as we see it working. It could be a case of bad installation of the current firmware that is why we recommend a manual update as part of troubleshooting. But you were able to do it, right? I have reported this case to the team. I will write back if any new information comes up.  Please keep us posted as well. Thanks!

Adventurer

[ New ]

those are all good points   but thiss ounds like @drmmrboy24  simply needs to  call CS and ask for a replacement   in the near future?

for quick capture  it takes like up to 30 seconds to  shut down, he clearly has it shutting down in like 1.2 seconds so scrath that thought!

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya, I never turned it on via Quickcapture. Only by using the side/mode button. After my shoot this weekend I will manually update back to v2.01 and see if it still happens. I'll report back next week.