Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Hero6 freezes with external power source

I have an Anker 13000 mAh charger. When I have a battery in the GoPro, the Anker only charges for a while but when I start recording the GoPro stops running off the Anker power (and the GoPro battery depletes quickly) or the camera freezes all-together until I have to remove the internal battery and restart the camera. I've tried this with the Anker plugged directly into the camera and with it plugged into the 3.5 GoPro audio adapter. Neither work. I'm using the USB-C cable that came with the GoPro. 

I tried doing it again today and the Anker kept freezing the camera. It just doesn't power it. It is because 13000 mAh is not strong enough to power the GoPro?? Someone else on here has the same problem. What's the fix?? 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero6 freezes with external power source

Hello @drmmrboy24

Thank you for the details that you provided. Does your HERO6 Black camera work fine with the mic adapter when the power bank is not connected? Some users have reported that some power banks stops charging the camera (battery) once it has reached full charged so the battery depletes until it drains even when the setup is still connected to the power bank. We just do not have a knowledge-based article on how different power banks interact with GoPro cameras so I am not able to provide more specific information. 

What is the output voltage/charge of the Anker power bank that you have? As long is it is able too provide 5V, 2A, it should be fine. Ever explored using the setup without the battery in the camera? does the power bank still make the camera-adapter setup work? Or test with a different battery? Aside form the power issues, we would also like to look into other reasons for the camera freezing, such as the SD card that you are using, and the firmware installed on your camera. Ensure that your camera is updated to the latest firmware, and that you are using one of the recommended cards in this list. 

Feel free to post back for results, or other questions 

Many thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Hiker

@mariustanya,

Thanks for your reply. My Anker supplies 5V 3A (3A max per port), so it shouldn't be a problem, right? Yesterday, I took the battery out and tried to power it only with the Anker through the audio adapter. It didn't work. Kept freezing up the camera. I had to eventually just use a GoPro battery only. The camera is only a couple weeks old, so it shouldn't be an issue with the GoPro batteries. The Anker either freezes the camera, makes it shut off completely, or shoots for a short period of time until it stops and then the clip tries to repair itself. 

I looked at the footage I shot yesterday (with the internal battery) and also noticed that some clips were cut off/incomplete. I shot a full band rehearsal. Not sure what's going on with this camera. 

I've attached a photo of the 2 kinds of MicroSD cards I use. Yesterday I was using the black one (128GB). I was shooting in 1080p/24. Those cards should both be fine for that, right? Would they still be okay if I shot in 4k/120? I'm using the latest firmware (02.01)

IMG_7834.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Glad to hear back from you, @drmmrboy24 . We're good with the SD cards that you are using. Thank you for posting pictures of them. The HERO6 Black camera though does not support the 120 fps frame rate in 4K. It can support 60 fps as the highest but this would make use of HEVC

Was your camera already with firmware 2.01 when you got it? If you have not done it yet, try manually updating your camera (even if it is already with the latest firmware). This is to ensure that errors with the current installation will be cleared out. You can do the update by following the instructions below: 

1. Go to the HERO6 Black update page.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system.

Make sure that your camera is fully charged and that the SD card is formatted prior to updating. If the issue continues to persist after these steps, our Support team will be able to assist you with further steps. You can reach them here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Hiker

@mariustanya,

The camera did not come with the update. I updated it after I received it. So my 32GB card will work with 4k/60? This card is not a V30 card. 

Thank you for your reply.

Highlighted
GoPro

Yes, it should work fine. I am actually using the same SD card in my HERO6 Black camera and able to record in 4K 60fps fine. It is actually one of the recommended cards on this list

Highlighted
Hiker

@mariustanya,

Please view this Youtube link: https://youtu.be/sweTmu3H3ks, It shows that my GoPro always shuts down when hitting the record button while being powered by the Anker. I was playing with this, this morning and it was working then so I'm not sure what's changed since this morning. 

I've played with the aspect ratio settings, thinking maybe a larger aspect uses more power but even 1080 doesn't work. I've formatted the SD card. It works fine when an internal battery is inserted. The wifi connection is turned off, as well as GPS and voice activation. I'm trying to use as little energy as possible yet the Anker still is not powering the GoPro. Thoughts??

Anker power supply does not power GoPro Hero6
Highlighted
Adventurer

@drmmrboy24   excellent to see th actual trouble video,  that really helps out to understand the issue.  

I have a Anker 10.000mah.  I have a sdxc card . I have the promic adapter.

I'll give this a shot later. but in the mean time pull the battery and   try that with the power bank.

Process of elimenation.    factory reset your camera try it again.   then lets try taking out the battery in the camera. .   and then see if  jsut a wall charger gets iton and working.