Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero6 camera shows no image

[ New ]

Hi,

My camera is turning on fine, touch screen also works fine but the camera lens doesnt seem to capturing any image because the LCD doesnt show any image. When i connect the cam to the phoen app, then also no image is showing on the phone screen so somehow the camera itself is not opening up to capture any views. Please advise.

Some background: before this happened, i was using 4k to capture some videos and the last few photos were just lines with the camera freezing whenever I pressed the shutter button. I had to hard reset it everytime by taking out the battery, eventually 1 time the camera turned on but the screen wasnt showing anything the lens was capturing (or not). 

GoPro

Re: Hero6 camera shows no image

[ New ]

Hello @agilestar06385. Just to clarify, when you mentioned that your HERO6 Black shows no image, are you referring to the rear display stays blank after powering on the camera?

Be sure that the SD card isn't inserted between the SD card slot and the battery compartment. Doing so can put pressure on the back of the touch display. 

If this isn't the case and the rear LCD touch screen display on your GoPro camera appears blank/black, you can try to perform a manual update. Follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229

Let us know how it goes.

Tourist

[ New ]

I followed your instructions on updating manually but it seems to fail. 

I get the large excalmation mark on the screen while update. I repeated the process 4 times and every time it is the same.

I checked this thread about this issue - https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Camera-lock-up-lost-clips-hero-6/td-p/117554/page/2#:~:text=A...

I am sure i have downloaded, unzipped and copied the file correctly to the SD card. The Sd card is not corrupted as i can save other items to it and open it on the laptop.

Please advise.

Thanks!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @agilestar06385

What SD card are you using?

Were you able to format the card before saving the UPDATE folder?

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

Its a SANdisk ultra 32gb, yes i was able to format it before copying the unzipped file.

Anything else i can try?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @agilestar06385. The Ultra card is not compatible with GoPro cameras. They may work initially but would eventually cause performance issues in the camera. We recommend using one of the recommended cards on this list to clear the issue. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi
Today I bought a new 32gb SanDisk Extreme card and tried to redo the procedure but the end result is the same - update starts but eventually fails showing a big exclamation mark.
Anything else I can try?
GoPro

[ New ]

Let our Support Team check on this further. @agilestar06385

You may submit a request for a callback through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs, or initiate a chat session with one of our representatives.

Our team is currently working through a volume of contacts, response time may be slightly longer than usual. We appreciate your understanding.
When reaching out to the team, try initiating a chat session then change the region(upper right-hand side) to US-English.
Make sure to enter the details manually to avoid captcha errors.

Thanks!

Ej