Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero6 Stabilisation (bouncing) issue

It's really frustrating for sure. So, have they confirmed that it's a software issue? Is it Hero6 specific anyway?

Highlighted
Hiker

What they've told me was:

"We are actively working toward resolving this issue, and look forward to releasing a camera update in the November time frame to address your concern. What I can suggest for now is to try using a lower frame rates in Wide or Linear Field of View so we can avoid the split screen and the freezing."

And:

"Actually our developers are working on it as we speak as they've already determined the issue of the new HERO6."

Considering I've seen the first message more or less verbatim here, I guess it's some standard reply to customers.
Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the update! Yea, first message looks like a standard customer service bla-bla suggesting to downgrade the settings. Nevertheless that seems reassuring that developers have already determined the issue. Fingers crossed on firmwave update will fix the problem.

Highlighted
Hiker

I have exactly the same problem with bumping and dropping frames! I also tried different SD cards and also different recording modes and settings. The problem with dropping frames is ONLY when i set Stabilization: ON on camera settings.

Check my video... it is obvious, annoying and unacceptable from GoPro!

Also, you said you returned your camera to get a replacement. What do you excpect from replacement? It looks like ALL GoPro hero 6 have the exact same problem, so i don't think something will change if you return the camera. You will get a new one with the problem still there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ovc1gSx6rs

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Hiker

Well

I will give them one more chance for replacement... Who knows maybe it will be a working one. 

But now looking on tests on youtube there is more and more popping out with the same issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oypN4XZR9Ww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=43&v=hoCPgBcg_lo

Video presents stabilization test with Go Pro Hero 6 Black videocamera in 4K 30fps (4K 30p) quality. Video was registered both on hardened and uncured bicycl...
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

yes! Exactly! All videos i saw, taken from GP 6 are like this...

I even took a still video (without moving) just paning left and right... and look... still same issue!

I believe that GoPro should consider the faulting stabilization software and really try to fix it ASAP because other case they will have to recall some thousand GoPro hero 6 cameras that were sold already!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbGdd96O8sE

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Hiker

Ok second Hero6 arrived.

Same issue. They did not put even the effort in to testing it before sending it to me. 

Gopro lost me.

I´m in big need of camera. Would would you recommend. The Sony X3000 or YI 4k+ 

Mainly using for skiing and mtb riding.

Anybody else had any luck with fixing this issue?

Highlighted
Explorer

This is the GoPro Support Hub and not a forum for discussing various brands of action cameras. There are plenty of sites, reviews, and YouTube videos that can help you shop around.

Having said that,

Yi 4K+ has stabilization more on par with the Hero5. Both are digital stabilization. The stabilization on the Hero6 is superior to the Yi and Hero5.

The Sony has optical stabilization. It's not fantastic but much better than the Yi.

If you want good stabilization you should consider a stabilizer for your camera. The Karma Grip does a fantastic job of providing smooth and stable videos.