Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero6 Date/Time in Telemetry Always Shows 12:00 AM

I've been fighting with this for weeks, with no luck. My Hero6 always shows (in Quik telemetry) the date/time as 12:00AM, 2000/01/31. I have verified (many times) that the actual time of the camera is correct. GPS in enabled, and connected. All updates have been applied. I read somewhere that formatting the data card might solve the problem; it didn't. I've tested this on many videos, and the time is always the same, although the other telemetry seems to be working. Presumably, because the time always stays the same, Quick is trying to read from a column in the telemetry that doesn't exist.

I tried to test in in Dashware, which at least allows me to edit the panel to remove the time, but it doesn't appear to actually read the telemetry at all (nice). So, for example, if I open a video in Quik, telemetry works, but the time is always Jan 31 2000, 12:00 AM. Always. If I open that same video in Dashware, it's all zeros. Always.

So, different software packages, and neither works quite right. Any suggestions?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero6 Date/Time in Telemetry Always Shows 12:00 AM

Hey @kevinw784,

What version of firmware are you running? I would make sure that you are up to date and even if so it may be best to run a manual update:

https://gopro.com/update/hero6

If you are still having some issues after that get in touch with our Support Team directly.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best,

Ryan

Highlighted
Tourist

It looks like I'm using version 01.60. Just so we're clear, you're saying these issues I'm having should not be occurring - this isn't a known bug or anything? I just ran the automatic update this morning (through Karma) and was told all my parts are up-tp-date.

I'll take a look at doing a manual update.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hey @rockystoke18227,

I just checked with my footage and I am able to get a time other than 12:00.

Best,

Ryan

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

That's peculiar. Even though I appear to have the correct f/w revision, I went ahead and manually updated it. Re-verified that the time on the Hero6 is correct, verified a GPS connection - still 12:00 AM 2000/01/31. Altitude, elevation & distance are all good - just not the time.

The time does not increment, either. If I fly for 5 minutes, the time stil shows as 12:00 AM, *not* 12:05 AM when I'm done.

FYI, it's Quik v. 2.5.1.462 on Win10, if that matters.

Next, I'll try just the camera - not Karma or anything, and see what that does.

Highlighted
GoPro

@kevinw784,

If you are having issues after that get in touch with out support Team directly:

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

They can take a deep dive into you specific system.

Cheers,

Ryan

Highlighted
Tourist

The camera, by itself (not on the Karma) works as it should - the time and date are displayed correctly. So, I suspect it's something in the Karma.

I'll contact support.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I wanted to expand on this a little, in light of new information. I contacted GoPro Support, but I'm not sure they understood the issue, so I created the attached graphic to better illustrate what's happening. I haven't heard back from Support since sending it to them - that was maybe 12 hours ago.

I have, however, spoken to my brother (who lives halfway across the country from me), and he confirms the exact same behavior with *his* Karma, whether he's using his Hero5 or Hero6. He's had his for awhile, and told me his older videos worked correctly, but no longer do.

So, the odds of two different Karmas and three different cameras (not to mention in the same family) having the exact same problem seems exceedingly remote. Therefore, I suspect it's a firmware issue with the Karma itself, possibly in the most recent update (since there isn't more screaming about it).

If anyone has a Karma/Hero6, and has all the latest updates installed, can you test and see what you get? 

karma-bug.jpg