Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero6 Charging: Taking a long time for a full charge

Highlighted
Tourist

Same Here, I hope Gopro figures it out.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi there, I'm having the same issue with my GP6 battery. The one that came with the camera did not fully charge, it stays around 98% even overnight charging. I'm using a 2A wall Samsung charger and the original GP charging cable. The FW version is the latest, 1.60.

However, I bought another GP5 spare battery and this one charges up to 100% and red camera charging leds turns off when fully charged. With the other faulty battery the leds stays on all the time.

I tried to charge the GP6 battery also with a Nitecore UGP5.NT charger. After the charge was 100% complete I put the battery into the camera and it shows 98%. 

This is strange, isnt't it?

Highlighted
Tourist

I was having the same issue and after speaking to tech support, as weird as it sounds the reason my light wasn't going off and showing fully charged was I was plugging it into a wall outlet. They suggested I plug it directly into a computer. After doing so the light on my gopro hero 6 did go off after about 2-3hrs and showed a full charge. Simple as it sounds this did work for me, I Hope this helps you.
Highlighted
Tourist

Try to full discharge the battery and after charge the battery...
Highlighted
Nomad

I have 2 batteries, they still occasionally do this. Sometimes they go to 100 percent other times 97_98. I have had it where I turn the camera back on and they all of a sudden show 100 percent.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello, Thanks for the tips.

However, everything that is proposed here is not a real solution. A battery only reaches its full capacity after a few cycles - everyone knows that. However, it is completely abnormal that a device does not display when charging is completed - equal if the battery is new or not. Every cheapest LiPo charger indicates the end of the charging process. Only the expensive GoPro does not do this. I assume that the firmware is just too sensitive and that the battery with the camera does not communicate properly. I own the original Supercharger and also the original Dual Charger. In the Dual Charger, the batteries charge perfectly since the FIRST use and the LED indicates when the battery is full. Only in the camera does not work.

The camera is simply not usable for charging, because you do not know if the charging process is complete or not. In a leased GoPro 5 charging works just as well as in the Dual Charger. Only in the GoPro 6 not or at best sometimes, if i use one of the tricks mentioned here.

But I do not want to use tricks, i expect a working charging process. So please: works on the firmware.

I have already ordered and returned some GoPros. Either all have been broken, or it is simply due to the software. 

Being a Hero begins with a correctly working Charging Process.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Sorry Ryan, this ist not the solution. Please remove the green hook and read my Post at the End of this thread (above this).

@ryanv12566 wrote:

Hi @tekbandit,

I would recommend manually updating that camera again. Once you do that I would make sure that you are using a 5V 2Amp wall charger. I was able to test with my camera and was able to get the camera charged all the way up and have the light go off. Let us know how it goes!

Best,

Ryan