Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero6 Charging: Taking a long time for a full charge

Admin - How do I remove the Solved solution from this post, cause it's not solved and it is still happening.

Hiker

I got a replacement hero 6 from GoPro direct. This is now 3rd new camera (first two were from Best Buy). This one charges 100% and led goes out. There was a new firmware that I updated to v1.6 so I don’t know if it was the hardware or v1.5 but finally charges fully and red led goes off at 100%!

Tourist

Hi,

Firmware 1.60 has fixed the issue (as expected). The charging light now goes off when 100% are reached. I have never changed my GoPro and was just "hoping" that this will be solved with a new firmware which is indeed the case.

Best regards,

Tom

Hiker

Yea I told tech support that several times! Second hero 6 I got wasn’t on v1.5. I charged and went 100% light off. After upgraded to v1.5 led wouldn’t turn off but we kept troubleshooting and they had me reinstall v1.5 manually, twice! Same results. 

Weird part art is the revision notes for v1.6 doesn’t mention anything about fixing charge led!

Tourist

I think there are some tolerances within the components in the camera itself and the batteries. I ordered 5 different Gopro 6 and sent them back, just to test the charging of the batteries. I also bought 6 batteries.

Now it looks like this: In most cases, the battery charges to 100% and the LED goes off. Occasionally, however, only up to 98% is charged (known issue). Here then the camera must be switched on and off again. If you are lucky, you can continue charging to 100% - but very slowly.

@ GoPro: Please check if your firmware has the battery charging process on EVERY battery and EVERY Hero 6 under control and tests extensively! It can not be the case that the customer has to order 5 or even more cameras in order to find out for himself which mistakes the manufacturer should eliminate before publication.

Tourist

Hello All;  Hero 6 black charging issue resolved.  As posted on Gopro's site, do NOT use a multi-port USB charger.  Use a wall charger with the Gopro charge cable.  I personally used the Apple iPad charger, and Gopro's USB charging cable.  Battery charged to 100%, and red light on camera powered off.  All good!

Tourist

No - sorry.

I've tried it with a multiport charger, bought with an iPad charger and even the original GoPro Supercharger. It does not work. The camera has been exchanged four times and I own 6 different original batteries.

It's not working!

Tourist

I think it has something to do with tolerances different charging curves.

Presumably, the software is not designed for manufacturing variations in batteries and charging electronics.