Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Hero6 Charging Problems: Taking a long time for a charging

We have heard the reports that the battery indicator isn't getting to 100% for some users. We've flagged that to the team, but we don't have any updates yet.

Jeff

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Thanks for that @jefft, I just got my Hero 6 yesterday and updated it to 1.60 and indeed it never reaches 100%. Most I got it to was 98% so far.

• If I'm charging it while it's on the percentage never gets above 98% and the lighting inside the battery icon never disappears
  • If I'm charging it while it's off, the red LEDs never go out even after 4h of charging (and when I turn the GoPro on at this point, battery % is showing 98%)
Highlighted
Hiker

Just as I finished writing this, the camera slowly reached 99% and then 100% (green charging icon) to finally reach a white icon. LEDs are off after powering the device off while still plugged in. Maybe it just had to re-calibrate?
Highlighted
Sightseer

I'm having the same issue as de-es. I've already exchanged one gopro and I'm on my second one. Firmware v1.60 and both cameras will only charge to 97-98 percent, one time i saw 99 but havent been able to reproduce it. I'm just trying to find out if something is wrong with the unit as I purchased this for a 7-day cruise in a few weeks and I'm trying to get acquainted with the device and make sure that Its not defective. any threads i've seen about this issue seem to fizzle out so if someone can please offer some advice or at least point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Dear Gopro Service, the problem is NOT solved.

Please remove the green hook again. Or is this your way of covering up technical inadequacies? I have already bought and returned several Gopro Hero 6. I have made several updates, even manual updates, even with candlelight and prayer! but nothing helped. All of my 6 rechargeable batteries only sometimes charge up to 100 percent. Mostly the charging process ends at 98 or 99 percent. GoPro, you wrote that the team was informed. What is the opinion of the team? Let us know.

Does anyone of you drive an electric car that never stops charging?

Highlighted
Explorer

Do you have on the voice activation to turn the camera on?

Is wireless connections on?

Is cloud updating connected?

Is Quik Story set to auto detect for new media?

Have you tried charging with the SD card removed?

I would try turning off all of these services and removing the card. If the camera charges fine, repeat the process but add back one thing. Keep doing this until you pinpoint the issue.

My charging light wasn't turning off every time before the update but now is. Previously, when the camera got to about 98% I would unplug it, turn it off (I turned it on to check the battery level), and then plug it back in. The camera would almost immediately hit 100% and the light would go out.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Well, taking it straight out of the packaging inserting the battery and charging before even turning it on doesnt work. Max charge after 3 hours on a 2a charger was 75%. Insert SD card, test camera and then update, the problem gets worse. After and overnight charging it wont even turn on without removing the battery and SD card then reinserting, and showed 23%, screeen flashes white when turning on and in general is showing worse peformance than straight out of the box when charging.  Im very surprised, well not that surprised,  that Gopro would release a product that really has a lot of issue. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I've also considered whether it is on Wi-Fi, SD card, etc ..

Today I tried it again:
- All functions (WLAN, Cloud, GPS, ...) deactivated
- Battery discharged to 90%
- Camera switched off and charged: At 100%, the LED was actually off!

After that again:
- Battery discharged again to 90%
- Camera switched off and charged: LED remains ON after more than 3 hours.
- Camera switched on: Battery level at 99%
- Camera turned off: LED stayed again on for over an hour
- USB plug out and plugged in again: LED off and battery at 100% after 1-2 minutes

Dear GoPro developers, what can that be?