Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero6 Black charge light will not go out

Heute morgen habe ich das manuelle Update zum 4. Mal gemacht. Bei ZWEI Gopro Hero 6 getestet, mit 6 verschiedenen Akkus. Aufgeladen wird nur bis 98%. Habe zum Testen extra noch eine zweite Gopro Hero 6 bestellt. :-(

Highlighted
Tourist

For me, with the 1.60 firmware:

• Red LEDs not turning off when fully charged to 100% - FIXED
  • Battery that came with the GoPro never becomes fully charged (it reaches 98% and continues to "charge", so the red LEDs remain on) - NOT FIXED. No issues with a different battery. Battery fault?

It looks like this could be two separate issues: one with the charging LEDs no turning off at 100% (which is now fixed) and a different issue where batteries won't charge to 100%. 

I also had a third issue with extremely slow charging, but it's hard to tell if this was a battery fault (related to the 98% issue) or a firmware problem - either way it seems to have cleared up.

Highlighted
Hiker

Exactly the same for me rockaway333. Red light is now turning off after a while but battery won't go over 98%...

I also noticed that the battery wouldn't last 1h. Went for a surf for 1h using quick start (top shutter) to turn on the gopro and film straight away and turning it off everytime (so technically not even 1h filming). Camera ran out of battery just before the 1h.

Had wifi and gps on, protune on, 2,7k 120 and I recorded around 30min of footage and 10 pictures.

Will try again without wifi and gps next time

Wrote to Gopro, they never answered

Highlighted
Tourist

Which manufacturer are your batteries? Can it be that one is from Samsung (100% charge) and one from Amperex (98% charge)?

Highlighted
Hiker

• Battery that came with the GoPro never becomes fully charged (it reaches 98% and continues to "charge", so the red LEDs remain on) - NOT FIXED. No issues with a different battery. Battery fault?

Same problem!

The default battery that came with the GoPro (an Amperex) never reach 100%.

It stops at 98%, either with the Supercharger or the default USB cable.

Looks like a battery fault. I'll ask to get it changed.

Highlighted
Tourist

Mine was also a battery problem. Bought a new one and it charged 100% no problem.

Highlighted
Tourist

Is that the solution? I have six Original GoPro-Batteries (Manufacturer: Amperex). All of them are charging only up to 98%.

Or should GoPro simply adjust the Firmware?

Highlighted
Tourist

My GoPro hero 6 came with the "Dongguan Amperex Technology Limited in China" batteries.

They are the ones that DON'T charge to 100%.

I bought a spare GoPro Hero 5 Battery which is compatible with the Hero6. It's made by "Samsung SDI VIETNAM Co., LTD in Vietnam".

This is the one that charges to 100%.

I've attached a picture of the 2 batteries.

Looks like GoPro have changed battery manufacturers to save costs. Though the battery quality has degraded and thus the customer has to suffer to increase their profits. 

GoPro engineers probably know about this but have kept it on a down low to save their reputation. 

Now it makes me think what other component manufacturers they have changed to cut costs. Hoping it was just the battery.

gopro6 batt.png