Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero6 Black - No 'Video + Photo' mode?

Hi GoPro team / all,

The spec comparison indicates the simultaneous 'Video + Photo' mode has been dropped in Hero6 Black? Can anyone confirm this please?

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/compare-cameras

GoPro_Comparison.jpg

Thanks!

Smiley Happy

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero6 Black - No 'Video + Photo' mode?

Hi @nobledive01,

The Video + Photo mode is no longer available on the HERO6. In my personal opinion I would just record in higher resolutions and grab the frame you want after, that way you get the exact moment you want.

Cheers,

Ryan

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Hi @nobledive01,

The Video + Photo mode is no longer available on the HERO6. In my personal opinion I would just record in higher resolutions and grab the frame you want after, that way you get the exact moment you want.

Cheers,

Ryan

Tourist

This is a major mistake. Why remove the feature which was available in all the gopro cameras since Hero3 (I owned 3+/4/5)?

I was using Video+Photo mode almost exclusively. Set at 5 or 10sec intervals it capures great 12MP stills with no extra actions. the photos were available immediately to view or post with no postprocessing. 

The best you can do in Hero6 is capture 8MP stills from 4K video. There is a huge difference between 8MP and 12MP quality. The photos are not available immediately and require time and effort for video capture. And it forces you to shoot at 4K, wasting huge amount of memory, killing the battery and overheating the camera.

Yes, Hero4/5 was limited to 1080i@30fps or 720p@60fps, but doesn't Hero6 have more powerful processor? Even if you can't do better, just leave the existing specs intact, why remove this extremely useful option?

What kind of alternative can you suggest?

I was planning to upgrade but this is a deal breaker.

Adventurer

@ryanv12566

Could you tell us also did they include this time round or left out the  Dual recording.   while in video you can snap a photo by using hte mode button like the hero 4?

I agree this is  steps backwards.  More money less features but otehr ones. its the people wanting this and gopro   felt like removing, can this be added back in that is a damper if asked I hate to say it its not  what I want if that feature i gone.

Nomad

Video + Photo was probably an Ambarella SOC feature not implemented in GoPros own GP1 chip...

Hiker

@dr082 wrote:

I was using Video+Photo mode almost exclusively. Set at 5 or 10sec intervals it capures great 12MP stills with no extra actions. the photos were available immediately to view or post with no postprocessing. 

The best you can do in Hero6 is capture 8MP stills from 4K video. There is a huge difference between 8MP and 12MP quality. The photos are not available immediately and require time and effort for video capture. And it forces you to shoot at 4K, wasting huge amount of memory, killing the battery and overheating the camera.

Yes, Hero4/5 was limited to 1080i@30fps or 720p@60fps, but doesn't Hero6 have more powerful processor?

I was planning to upgrade but this is a deal breaker.

Max. video resolution on the Hero 6 is 4000x3000, so capturing a still will result in a 12MP image - what more could you want?
And if 'video+photo' mode on hero 4 & 5 were limited to 1080 & 720 video modes, how could getting a still frame result in a 12MP image?! 

IMHO, GoPro did exactly the right thing by getting rid of the (useless) 'video+photo' mode on the H6.

Adventurer

And I thought Vid + photo was  a frame off the video  as its 1920x1080AR16:9 while the photo is a AR 4:3

Backpacker

@coberschneider wrote:

Max. video resolution on the Hero 6 is 4000x3000, so capturing a still will result in a 12MP image - what more could you want?

And if 'video+photo' mode on hero 4 & 5 were limited to 1080 & 720 video modes, how could getting a still frame result in a 12MP image?! 

IMHO, GoPro did exactly the right thing by getting rid of the (useless) 'video+photo' mode on the H6.

i can confirm the picture was a 12mp picture, the GoPro was basically doing a photo-timelapse while also filming video (wasn't extracing it from the video). I assume doing the 2 things at the same time drained alot of processing power which is why it was limited to 1080