Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero6 Black - No 'Video + Photo' mode?

My bad - I am not sure if the interlacing is the right term here, probably it is wrong. I was just referring to the fact that 4:3 4K only supports 30fps vs 60fps for 16:9 4K, which means that they capture less info per frame. You stated something similar, but I posted my reply about the same time without reading yours.
Highlighted
Tourist

Yi 4K+ is answer for me. It is what Hero6 should have been. It has Sony sensor, matches all the Hero6 video/photo specs, except GPS and gyro, which I never use. It's videos and pictures look excellent in the reviews. It has H2 Ambarella chip and supports video+photo capture in 1080p 60fps mode. The list price of $330 including waterproof case vs $450 for GoPro with a case doesn't hurt ether.

https://help.yitechnology.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005576707-How-do-I-capture-photos-while-recording...

This is how GoPro lost a loyal customer from 2012 who bought every camera from 3/3+/4/5

Highlighted
Tourist

Admittedly, I did not do my research properly but I feel I have wassted my money with the Hero 6 as I needed exactly this feature (which was sold to me by a friend of mine with an older GoPro).

The idea that you can capture frames from your live video (which seems to be their recommendation) simply does not hold water. First of all, their recommendation is to use a lower resolution than 4K for cycling (for the image stabilisation, I presume) – which means the still captures will obviously not be 12MP. But on top of that, the captures look terrible because capturing a frame out of a live motion video is already going to be blurry rather than a single picture taking with a shorter shutter time.

Added to that GoPro's completely inept customer support around their web shop which either has no idea what they are doing or are deliberately lying to you, I really have a very negative view of the company and will probably just have to cut my losses by putting it on eBay and buying a different camera.

But before doing so – do we know for sure that this feature will never happen in a future sotware release (due to hardware limitations) or is it worth holding out for a new version?

Highlighted
Explorer

It is very doubtful that the Hero6 will get Video+Photo as it doesn't have an Ambarella chip (Ambarella has the patent on video+photo).  

Have you ever seen the results of Video+Photo?  IMO, it's not worth doing as it doesn't look very good.  Perhaps it's the demand on the processor, but neither the video or photo turn out looking very good.  I'd much rather just use frame grabs.  Granted, a frame grab from 4K is going to be closer to 8MP than 12MP, but often I'm able to get a better shot as I can go frame by frame to get the right shot.

As far as blurry goes, it's not the frame rate that determines blur, but rather the shutter speed.  A frame grab from a video shot in 4K/30 with a shutter of 1/240 is going to be sharper and have far less blur than a frame from 4K/60 with a shutter of 1/120.  If you have proper lighting and the correct ISO, you can get the right shot.

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

I just excitedly unwrapped my new Hero6 Black which replaced my stolen Hero3+ Black.

Couldn't find the Video+photo mode.

Found this thread instead.

What????

I used this feature on every kayak and bike trip video.
I capture 1080P video plus high resolution stills every 5 seconds so I can look at a scene for 5s and get a still.

At home I would scan through the jpgs for stills I liked and often got some nice surprises in action moments.

I never needed to edit the video - and at 1080P the extracts would be much lower quality.

If it's true there is a lcensing issue and this feature is never coming back, I feel like I should flip the camera and get a Hero5.

Silly me for thinking that the more I paid the better the image quality and feature set.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have been using phot+video mode for years and they look fantastic, way better than screen captures.

There are better 4k 60p alteranatives now which use next gen Ambarella chip with video+photo and cost half the price - SJCAM SJ8 Pro for $200 and Yi 4k+ for $300

https://sjcam.com/product/sjcam-sj8-action-camera/

https://www.yitechnology.com/yi-4k-plus-action-camera

I got Yi and am very happy with it.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I am an oldtime GoPro user (started with Hero2, than Hero3, and Hero4) and recently bought Hero6Black. I was indeed surprised to find out that Video+Photo was not available anymore. Since GoPro abandoned GoProStudio i moved to iMovie on my Mac.

You can easily extract stills in JPG format using iMovie. Sure, it takes more postprocessing effort and therefor not as easy as it was using Video+Photo mode, but I am still please with the end result, as I am able to share pictures from my diving trips.

Highlighted
Hiker

A little knowledge is more often than not more dangerous than no knowledge.