Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: Hero6 Black - No 'Video + Photo' mode?

@dr082wrote:

First, I urge everyone to comment on technical merits and avoid degrading this forum with personal attacks on "spelling", "stupidity", "common sense" and "greed". Not everyone has English as their first language, which doesn't make their opinion less valuable. GoPro has a worldwide market.

"greed" was actually his comment

photo & video was always a compromise, pictures were better but only being able to use lower resolutions meant the video suffered. You'll never please everyone

Highlighted
Explorer

"Greed" and "Incompetence" were the two options given. Neither of which I attribute to the development of the Hero6. As was pointed out, "GoPro has a right to drop any feature they seem not worthy of extra deelopment or licensing costs."

GoPro does plenty of market research and also utilizes their apps to determine functions that are being utilized in their cameras. Too often people live in a bubble thinking that what they want, everyone else wants or uses. Relatively few people have commented on this feature, both past and present. The assumption that there are less sales overall due to this feature not being included is just that, an assumption. Just because you did not upgrade doesn't mean others didn't for other features. Had certain features or capabilities been omitted to allow for the video+photo perhaps some of those sales/upgrades wouldn't have occurred.

The Hero6 is vastly superior to the Hero5 in many ways and much, much better than the Hero4/3+/3/2/HD. The Hero4 has better audio when out of its protective housing and in non windy environments, but that's about it. Considering the limitations of the Hero4 audio, it's debatable if it's really better.

No one in this post is a software engineer that was present during the planning and decision process of the Hero6, so no one is qualified to make assumptions as to why they made the decisions they did. Most certainly, not to make rediculous assumptions that it was based on "greed" or "incompetence".
Highlighted
Tourist

And maybe, just maybe, that excellent marketing reseach, engineering planning and decision process at GoPro is not so excellent after all, causing the company to "miss already low sales estimates", lower the margins and fire people https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-01/gopro-misses-already-low-sales-estimates-amid-tal...

You are absolutely correct - I don't have access to their usage data and don't know how many users decided to forgo the purchase becasue of this one feature. BTW, I did not use wifi in the camera and GoPro app, so my usage data was not collected. And yes, I live in a "bubble" in a sense that I care about the features I us. I am trying to publicise the benefits of this feature for two reasons: to warn unsuspected buyers about unusual drop of the useful feature (I discovred it accedentally while playing with it in the store); and in a hope (futile I am afraid) that more people realize the benefits and demand it to be included in the next version.

Highlighted
Adventurer

All I can do is laugh:

tell us something new.  For example never ending story battery life that has always been a issue with people60 minutes is ideal.

FISH

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,

perhaps I am missing sth but when shooting video in 4k 4:3, stills taken from such video should be at 12MP...

Christian

Highlighted
Explorer

I can see how you would think that, but it's not how it works. Depending on frame rate, 4K video actually captures closer to 8MP per frame, so the corresponding frame grab will be at about the same MP.
Highlighted
Tourist

Probably becasue 4:3 4K mode is an interlaced mode, suporting only 30 fps, unlike 4K which supports full 60fps.

The Hero6 manula (page 48) states about 4K mode: "Stunning high-resolution video with 8MP stills available from video".

Nothing like that is stated for the 4:3 4K mode (in the next line). 

In most my use cases of action videos, shooting at 60fps and lower res is preferable to 30fps higher res

Highlighted
Explorer

GoPro cameras have always used progressive for all of their resolutions, so if they used interlaced for 4K 4:3 it's news to me.  Where did you find that information?

As far as a 4K frame grab being 8MP, this isn't just GoPro, but just about all 4K cameras output between 8 and 8.8 MP per frame.