Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero6 Black - No 'Video + Photo' mode?

I don't know if this was a consious decision driven by greed at the customers expenence not negotiation a deal to use Ambarella's pattented technology or if it was sheer oversight and incompetence just forgetting to include this feature. Eitherway, I'm very disappointed and will most likely return my H6.

Highlighted
Explorer

"decision driven by greed at the customers expenence"

I try to not be negative, but poor grammar and spelling aside, this is a stupid comment.
Highlighted
Nomad

The GP1 is a mixed blessing. It loses the Photo+Video mode and the ability to extract a still fram from video which are both forund in the Hero5. Which is still available. And its not much more expensive than the HERO 2018 edition at least here in Europe.

Highlighted
Tourist

@danielr15wrote:
"decision driven by greed at the customers expenence"

I try to not be negative, but poor grammar and spelling aside, this is a stupid comment.

Fair enough, my spelling ssucx. But how's that stupid? They were either trying to save money (hence greed) or it was a complete oversight (incompetece). Is there a third "non-stupid" scenario I'm missing here?

Highlighted
Adventurer

No it is  the GP1 chip and or firmware.   I rather have Dual recording whic htey taken away, and may return on the GP2 chip ?  It will serve a better purpose then blurry shots when you quickly move while it snaps.    You can simply grab photos off the video.

Highlighted
Explorer

@ee81ds

GoPro hasn't made a profit for the the last two years.  How is it "greed" if they aren't making money?  Nick Woodman, the CEO, currently makes $1.00 salary. 

Highlighted
Backpacker

anyone with half an ounce of common sense knows there are many reasons a software feature might be dropped, the fact people have tried to explain to him the GP1 chip change might be one. Yet he could only think of 2 negative reasons goes to show his true way of thinking

leave him to it

Highlighted
Tourist

First, I urge everyone to comment on technical merits and avoid degrading this forum with personal attacks on "spelling", "stupidity", "common sense" and "greed". Not everyone has English as their first language, which doesn't make their opinion less valuable. GoPro has a worldwide market.

GoPro has a right to drop any feature they seem not worthy of extra deelopment or licensing costs. I hope they read this forum and realize that dropping Video+Photo will cost them a sizeable reduction in their customer base. Maybe this is why Hero6 is not getting the adoption they hoped.

Over the years I bought several copies of every GoPro model: 3/3+/4/5. Sometimes I mount several cameras on one bike or plane. This this the first year when I did not upgrade to Hero6. And I am hardly alone. The reasons are described in details in the beginnig of this thread:

- Frame capture from 4K video is only 8MP vs 12MP native photo, a big difference.

- 4K video eats battery and memory, critically important when the camera is not easily accessible (under water, on a plane, motorcyle, etc.)

- Photos are immediately availble for posting; capturing video frame requires software, another device for editing, and hours of extra processing.