Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Hero6 Black - No 'Video + Photo' mode?

deal breaker! deal breaker! deal breaker! deal breaker!  for me!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope a firmware updgrade...... :( 

Highlighted
Nomad

I found out why the VIDEO+PHOTO mode is missing for the Hero6 with the GP1 chip.

Ambarella, Inc has US patent 9,179,046 called "Camera with high-quality still capture during continuous video capture" which covers this feature.

video_and_photo_mode_patent.png
Highlighted
Tourist

Good find! Very plausible.

One more stupid decision for GoPro - a nominal royalty fee in a $500 device vs loosing a small but infuencial and loyal customer base. I have been using GoPro 3/3+/4/5 and this is the first time I did not upgrade and do not plan to. Sony is catching up very quickly and I see no reasons to stick with GoPro.

Highlighted
Hiker

For me it is also almost an exclusive mode of operation with GP5 on my bike. I can only repeat comments mentioned before: for me no need for 4K (battery draining, huge amount of data), taking 5sec timelapse pictures - always there were some great 12MB shots which I could further crop.

cheers!

trassy.pl

Highlighted
Sightseer

No video + photo mode? arghh. a few of my friends were discussing an upgrade until we saw this. please bring this feature back. until then i guess we have to put off our intention to purchase. i dont believe in cutting photo from videos. been there done that.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Put video+photo mode back, please. I used this mode a lot on 3+ model. I bought GoPro 6 black in belief that you kept this function.

Highlighted
Tourist

me too....

the worst of all is that it seems that a firmware update is not possible to solve it.

this missing menu and the failure of the 5Ghz in Europe makes me stand back the camera.

Highlighted
Tourist

In addition, GoPro 3 and 4 it had a one-button-push operation to capture a photo while the camera was in video mode. In Hero5 and 6 one had to switch the mode (several pushes), capture the photo, switch the mode back (several pushes), start video. No way it can be acomplished while duing anything active. There is no patent which would prohibit Hero6 to emit the sequence of the commands to acomplish this with one button push (like double click on the shutter or a 2 sec press on the shutter or something similar).