Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Hero6 Black - No 'Video + Photo' mode?

[ New ]

Hi GoPro team / all,

The spec comparison indicates the simultaneous 'Video + Photo' mode has been dropped in Hero6 Black? Can anyone confirm this please?

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/compare-cameras

GoPro_Comparison.jpg

Thanks!

Smiley Happy

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero6 Black - No 'Video + Photo' mode?

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous,

The Video + Photo mode is no longer available on the HERO6. In my personal opinion I would just record in higher resolutions and grab the frame you want after, that way you get the exact moment you want.

Cheers,

Ryan

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous,

The Video + Photo mode is no longer available on the HERO6. In my personal opinion I would just record in higher resolutions and grab the frame you want after, that way you get the exact moment you want.

Cheers,

Ryan

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

This is a major mistake. Why remove the feature which was available in all the gopro cameras since Hero3 (I owned 3+/4/5)?

I was using Video+Photo mode almost exclusively. Set at 5 or 10sec intervals it capures great 12MP stills with no extra actions. the photos were available immediately to view or post with no postprocessing. 

The best you can do in Hero6 is capture 8MP stills from 4K video. There is a huge difference between 8MP and 12MP quality. The photos are not available immediately and require time and effort for video capture. And it forces you to shoot at 4K, wasting huge amount of memory, killing the battery and overheating the camera.

Yes, Hero4/5 was limited to 1080i@30fps or 720p@60fps, but doesn't Hero6 have more powerful processor? Even if you can't do better, just leave the existing specs intact, why remove this extremely useful option?

What kind of alternative can you suggest?

I was planning to upgrade but this is a deal breaker.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@ryanv12566

Could you tell us also did they include this time round or left out the  Dual recording.   while in video you can snap a photo by using hte mode button like the hero 4?

I agree this is  steps backwards.  More money less features but otehr ones. its the people wanting this and gopro   felt like removing, can this be added back in that is a damper if asked I hate to say it its not  what I want if that feature i gone.

Nomad

[ New ]

Video + Photo was probably an Ambarella SOC feature not implemented in GoPros own GP1 chip...

Hiker

[ New ]

@dr082 wrote:

I was using Video+Photo mode almost exclusively. Set at 5 or 10sec intervals it capures great 12MP stills with no extra actions. the photos were available immediately to view or post with no postprocessing. 

The best you can do in Hero6 is capture 8MP stills from 4K video. There is a huge difference between 8MP and 12MP quality. The photos are not available immediately and require time and effort for video capture. And it forces you to shoot at 4K, wasting huge amount of memory, killing the battery and overheating the camera.

Yes, Hero4/5 was limited to 1080i@30fps or 720p@60fps, but doesn't Hero6 have more powerful processor?

I was planning to upgrade but this is a deal breaker.

Max. video resolution on the Hero 6 is 4000x3000, so capturing a still will result in a 12MP image - what more could you want?
And if 'video+photo' mode on hero 4 & 5 were limited to 1080 & 720 video modes, how could getting a still frame result in a 12MP image?! 

IMHO, GoPro did exactly the right thing by getting rid of the (useless) 'video+photo' mode on the H6.

Adventurer

[ New ]

And I thought Vid + photo was  a frame off the video  as its 1920x1080AR16:9 while the photo is a AR 4:3

Backpacker

[ New ]

@coberschneider wrote:

Max. video resolution on the Hero 6 is 4000x3000, so capturing a still will result in a 12MP image - what more could you want?

And if 'video+photo' mode on hero 4 & 5 were limited to 1080 & 720 video modes, how could getting a still frame result in a 12MP image?! 

IMHO, GoPro did exactly the right thing by getting rid of the (useless) 'video+photo' mode on the H6.

i can confirm the picture was a 12mp picture, the GoPro was basically doing a photo-timelapse while also filming video (wasn't extracing it from the video). I assume doing the 2 things at the same time drained alot of processing power which is why it was limited to 1080

Hiker

[ New ]

ok thanks, that's interesting to know!

Adventurer

[ New ]

np

Tourist

[ New ]

From Hero6 manual (page 46): "4K - Stunning high-resolution video with 8MP stills available from video. Recommended for tripod or fixed position shots, automotive activities".

12MP vs 8MP is a big difference.

The manual recommends lower resolutions (2.7, 1.4, 1080) for body shots and action. "1080: "Great for all shots and for sharing to social media. High resolution and frame rate yield stunning result".

Not every situation needs 4K. Especially when you mount the camera on a bike, plane, drone, underwater, where battery life is more important than resolution.

Anonymous

[ New ]

In my thnik, yes it is deal breaker!

I don't wnat to post processing for this and waste my time to grap the fram from video clip. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I agree. I almost exclusively use video + photo and was looking to upgrade.

Very disspointed that this feature is now gone. I'll probably look

at other brands now. Hope you bring this back on future models.

Anonymous

[ New ]

i also use this mode verry offen on my 4 black , and i hope it will apear on the 6 black with a firmware upgrade

it"s easier to have12 mp pixs direct , than capturing 8 mp from the video , and 7 mp only if you did a 7k video

it's a big mistake to remove this mode on the 6 black

Tourist

[ New ]

From what I read they dropped this feature after switching to the in-house GP1 chip. Not likely it will be restored with a firmware update. I am not going to upgrade to Hero6 and will be looking for Sony alternatives - FDRX-3000 and RX0 or others when they add this feature.

Nomad

[ New ]

The GP1 is an Socionext SC2000A spinoff.

https://www.socionext.com/en/products/assp/milbeaut/SC2000.html

Anonymous

[ New ]

deal breaker! deal breaker! deal breaker! deal breaker!  for me!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope a firmware updgrade...... :( 

Nomad

[ New ]

I found out why the VIDEO+PHOTO mode is missing for the Hero6 with the GP1 chip.

Ambarella, Inc has US patent 9,179,046 called "Camera with high-quality still capture during continuous video capture" which covers this feature.

video_and_photo_mode_patent.png
Tourist

[ New ]

Good find! Very plausible.

One more stupid decision for GoPro - a nominal royalty fee in a $500 device vs loosing a small but infuencial and loyal customer base. I have been using GoPro 3/3+/4/5 and this is the first time I did not upgrade and do not plan to. Sony is catching up very quickly and I see no reasons to stick with GoPro.

Hiker

[ New ]

For me it is also almost an exclusive mode of operation with GP5 on my bike. I can only repeat comments mentioned before: for me no need for 4K (battery draining, huge amount of data), taking 5sec timelapse pictures - always there were some great 12MB shots which I could further crop.

cheers!

trassy.pl

Anonymous

[ New ]

No video + photo mode? arghh. a few of my friends were discussing an upgrade until we saw this. please bring this feature back. until then i guess we have to put off our intention to purchase. i dont believe in cutting photo from videos. been there done that.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Put video+photo mode back, please. I used this mode a lot on 3+ model. I bought GoPro 6 black in belief that you kept this function.

Anonymous

[ New ]

me too....

the worst of all is that it seems that a firmware update is not possible to solve it.

this missing menu and the failure of the 5Ghz in Europe makes me stand back the camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

In addition, GoPro 3 and 4 it had a one-button-push operation to capture a photo while the camera was in video mode. In Hero5 and 6 one had to switch the mode (several pushes), capture the photo, switch the mode back (several pushes), start video. No way it can be acomplished while duing anything active. There is no patent which would prohibit Hero6 to emit the sequence of the commands to acomplish this with one button push (like double click on the shutter or a 2 sec press on the shutter or something similar).

Anonymous

[ New ]

I don't know if this was a consious decision driven by greed at the customers expenence not negotiation a deal to use Ambarella's pattented technology or if it was sheer oversight and incompetence just forgetting to include this feature. Eitherway, I'm very disappointed and will most likely return my H6.

Explorer

[ New ]
"decision driven by greed at the customers expenence"

I try to not be negative, but poor grammar and spelling aside, this is a stupid comment.
Nomad

[ New ]

The GP1 is a mixed blessing. It loses the Photo+Video mode and the ability to extract a still fram from video which are both forund in the Hero5. Which is still available. And its not much more expensive than the HERO 2018 edition at least here in Europe.

Anonymous

[ New ]

@danielr15wrote:
"decision driven by greed at the customers expenence"

I try to not be negative, but poor grammar and spelling aside, this is a stupid comment.

Fair enough, my spelling ssucx. But how's that stupid? They were either trying to save money (hence greed) or it was a complete oversight (incompetece). Is there a third "non-stupid" scenario I'm missing here?

Adventurer

[ New ]

No it is  the GP1 chip and or firmware.   I rather have Dual recording whic htey taken away, and may return on the GP2 chip ?  It will serve a better purpose then blurry shots when you quickly move while it snaps.    You can simply grab photos off the video.

Explorer

[ New ]

@Anonymous

GoPro hasn't made a profit for the the last two years.  How is it "greed" if they aren't making money?  Nick Woodman, the CEO, currently makes $1.00 salary. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

anyone with half an ounce of common sense knows there are many reasons a software feature might be dropped, the fact people have tried to explain to him the GP1 chip change might be one. Yet he could only think of 2 negative reasons goes to show his true way of thinking

leave him to it

Tourist

[ New ]

First, I urge everyone to comment on technical merits and avoid degrading this forum with personal attacks on "spelling", "stupidity", "common sense" and "greed". Not everyone has English as their first language, which doesn't make their opinion less valuable. GoPro has a worldwide market.

GoPro has a right to drop any feature they seem not worthy of extra deelopment or licensing costs. I hope they read this forum and realize that dropping Video+Photo will cost them a sizeable reduction in their customer base. Maybe this is why Hero6 is not getting the adoption they hoped.

Over the years I bought several copies of every GoPro model: 3/3+/4/5. Sometimes I mount several cameras on one bike or plane. This this the first year when I did not upgrade to Hero6. And I am hardly alone. The reasons are described in details in the beginnig of this thread:

- Frame capture from 4K video is only 8MP vs 12MP native photo, a big difference.

- 4K video eats battery and memory, critically important when the camera is not easily accessible (under water, on a plane, motorcyle, etc.)

- Photos are immediately availble for posting; capturing video frame requires software, another device for editing, and hours of extra processing.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@dr082wrote:

First, I urge everyone to comment on technical merits and avoid degrading this forum with personal attacks on "spelling", "stupidity", "common sense" and "greed". Not everyone has English as their first language, which doesn't make their opinion less valuable. GoPro has a worldwide market.

"greed" was actually his comment

photo & video was always a compromise, pictures were better but only being able to use lower resolutions meant the video suffered. You'll never please everyone

Explorer

[ New ]
"Greed" and "Incompetence" were the two options given. Neither of which I attribute to the development of the Hero6. As was pointed out, "GoPro has a right to drop any feature they seem not worthy of extra deelopment or licensing costs."

GoPro does plenty of market research and also utilizes their apps to determine functions that are being utilized in their cameras. Too often people live in a bubble thinking that what they want, everyone else wants or uses. Relatively few people have commented on this feature, both past and present. The assumption that there are less sales overall due to this feature not being included is just that, an assumption. Just because you did not upgrade doesn't mean others didn't for other features. Had certain features or capabilities been omitted to allow for the video+photo perhaps some of those sales/upgrades wouldn't have occurred.

The Hero6 is vastly superior to the Hero5 in many ways and much, much better than the Hero4/3+/3/2/HD. The Hero4 has better audio when out of its protective housing and in non windy environments, but that's about it. Considering the limitations of the Hero4 audio, it's debatable if it's really better.

No one in this post is a software engineer that was present during the planning and decision process of the Hero6, so no one is qualified to make assumptions as to why they made the decisions they did. Most certainly, not to make rediculous assumptions that it was based on "greed" or "incompetence".
Tourist

[ New ]

And maybe, just maybe, that excellent marketing reseach, engineering planning and decision process at GoPro is not so excellent after all, causing the company to "miss already low sales estimates", lower the margins and fire people https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-01/gopro-misses-already-low-sales-estimates-amid-tal...

You are absolutely correct - I don't have access to their usage data and don't know how many users decided to forgo the purchase becasue of this one feature. BTW, I did not use wifi in the camera and GoPro app, so my usage data was not collected. And yes, I live in a "bubble" in a sense that I care about the features I us. I am trying to publicise the benefits of this feature for two reasons: to warn unsuspected buyers about unusual drop of the useful feature (I discovred it accedentally while playing with it in the store); and in a hope (futile I am afraid) that more people realize the benefits and demand it to be included in the next version.

Adventurer

[ New ]

All I can do is laugh:

tell us something new.  For example never ending story battery life that has always been a issue with people60 minutes is ideal.

FISH

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

perhaps I am missing sth but when shooting video in 4k 4:3, stills taken from such video should be at 12MP...

Christian

Explorer

[ New ]
I can see how you would think that, but it's not how it works. Depending on frame rate, 4K video actually captures closer to 8MP per frame, so the corresponding frame grab will be at about the same MP.
Tourist

[ New ]

Probably becasue 4:3 4K mode is an interlaced mode, suporting only 30 fps, unlike 4K which supports full 60fps.

The Hero6 manula (page 48) states about 4K mode: "Stunning high-resolution video with 8MP stills available from video".

Nothing like that is stated for the 4:3 4K mode (in the next line). 

In most my use cases of action videos, shooting at 60fps and lower res is preferable to 30fps higher res

Explorer

[ New ]

GoPro cameras have always used progressive for all of their resolutions, so if they used interlaced for 4K 4:3 it's news to me.  Where did you find that information?

As far as a 4K frame grab being 8MP, this isn't just GoPro, but just about all 4K cameras output between 8 and 8.8 MP per frame.

Tourist

[ New ]
My bad - I am not sure if the interlacing is the right term here, probably it is wrong. I was just referring to the fact that 4:3 4K only supports 30fps vs 60fps for 16:9 4K, which means that they capture less info per frame. You stated something similar, but I posted my reply about the same time without reading yours.
Tourist

[ New ]

Yi 4K+ is answer for me. It is what Hero6 should have been. It has Sony sensor, matches all the Hero6 video/photo specs, except GPS and gyro, which I never use. It's videos and pictures look excellent in the reviews. It has H2 Ambarella chip and supports video+photo capture in 1080p 60fps mode. The list price of $330 including waterproof case vs $450 for GoPro with a case doesn't hurt ether.

https://help.yitechnology.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005576707-How-do-I-capture-photos-while-recording...

This is how GoPro lost a loyal customer from 2012 who bought every camera from 3/3+/4/5

Tourist

[ New ]

Admittedly, I did not do my research properly but I feel I have wassted my money with the Hero 6 as I needed exactly this feature (which was sold to me by a friend of mine with an older GoPro).

The idea that you can capture frames from your live video (which seems to be their recommendation) simply does not hold water. First of all, their recommendation is to use a lower resolution than 4K for cycling (for the image stabilisation, I presume) – which means the still captures will obviously not be 12MP. But on top of that, the captures look terrible because capturing a frame out of a live motion video is already going to be blurry rather than a single picture taking with a shorter shutter time.

Added to that GoPro's completely inept customer support around their web shop which either has no idea what they are doing or are deliberately lying to you, I really have a very negative view of the company and will probably just have to cut my losses by putting it on eBay and buying a different camera.

But before doing so – do we know for sure that this feature will never happen in a future sotware release (due to hardware limitations) or is it worth holding out for a new version?

Explorer

[ New ]

It is very doubtful that the Hero6 will get Video+Photo as it doesn't have an Ambarella chip (Ambarella has the patent on video+photo).  

Have you ever seen the results of Video+Photo?  IMO, it's not worth doing as it doesn't look very good.  Perhaps it's the demand on the processor, but neither the video or photo turn out looking very good.  I'd much rather just use frame grabs.  Granted, a frame grab from 4K is going to be closer to 8MP than 12MP, but often I'm able to get a better shot as I can go frame by frame to get the right shot.

As far as blurry goes, it's not the frame rate that determines blur, but rather the shutter speed.  A frame grab from a video shot in 4K/30 with a shutter of 1/240 is going to be sharper and have far less blur than a frame from 4K/60 with a shutter of 1/120.  If you have proper lighting and the correct ISO, you can get the right shot.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I just excitedly unwrapped my new Hero6 Black which replaced my stolen Hero3+ Black.

Couldn't find the Video+photo mode.

Found this thread instead.

What????

I used this feature on every kayak and bike trip video.
I capture 1080P video plus high resolution stills every 5 seconds so I can look at a scene for 5s and get a still.

At home I would scan through the jpgs for stills I liked and often got some nice surprises in action moments.

I never needed to edit the video - and at 1080P the extracts would be much lower quality.

If it's true there is a lcensing issue and this feature is never coming back, I feel like I should flip the camera and get a Hero5.

Silly me for thinking that the more I paid the better the image quality and feature set.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have been using phot+video mode for years and they look fantastic, way better than screen captures.

There are better 4k 60p alteranatives now which use next gen Ambarella chip with video+photo and cost half the price - SJCAM SJ8 Pro for $200 and Yi 4k+ for $300

https://sjcam.com/product/sjcam-sj8-action-camera/

https://www.yitechnology.com/yi-4k-plus-action-camera

I got Yi and am very happy with it.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am an oldtime GoPro user (started with Hero2, than Hero3, and Hero4) and recently bought Hero6Black. I was indeed surprised to find out that Video+Photo was not available anymore. Since GoPro abandoned GoProStudio i moved to iMovie on my Mac.

You can easily extract stills in JPG format using iMovie. Sure, it takes more postprocessing effort and therefor not as easy as it was using Video+Photo mode, but I am still please with the end result, as I am able to share pictures from my diving trips.

Hiker

[ New ]

A little knowledge is more often than not more dangerous than no knowledge.

Hiker

[ New ]
A little knowledge is more often than not more dangerous than no knowledge.

Stills taken from videos I have taken are quite poor in comparison, especially when I am on my bike. I tried to capture a screenshot of a car registration that was behaving dangerously on the road, the only way I could record it was be watching the video repeatedly (I only got a quick glance at it) as it was too blurry on the extracted photo.

Yes, I understand that I probably wouldn't have captured the photo at the right tiem anyhow if it was taking photos at intervals, the point above is just to highlight how poor the quality is in comparison.
Explorer

[ New ]
Perhaps it depends on the program you are using to grab the screenshot. If you can see the detail in the video, there is no reason to not be able to see it in the frame grab. I use Adobe Premiere Pro and export frame grabs as tiff and they have the same clarity as the video with no loss in detail.