Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero6 Black 5 GHz wi-fi not working

I agree at least they should make public a list of tested devices
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Did a bit more research into the certification process for Europe, it seems that you don't need a product to be officially tested to hold the CE mark (same as FCC but for Europe). You can actually just self approve yourself! This would explain how its got to market with such an obvious issue, it wasn't tested outside of the US. 

FCC reports for anyone interested - https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid

Grantee Code: CNF

Product Code: SPCH1

Hiker

Continued to have a VERY short conversation with Paul, it's clear they are trying to shove this issue under the rug. To anyone considering buying a GoPro 6 - Don't, they're broken and it's clear they have no intention of fixing them.

Tourist

Yeah. It's obvious.
I also had a quick chat with Paul and asked him why they rather want to argue with customers on issues like this instead of looking into it and fix it to make us happy?!
He didn't answer that.
Tourist

After following this issue closely, I brought back my hero6 for a refund (I told them the 5 ghz wifi is broken) and am now waiting for a solution from Gopro. It's really ridiculous, the 5 ghz wifi feature was one of the reasons why I bought this camera. I intended to use it on my drone along with the 2,4 ghz transmitter frequency to not have interference issues.

I don't understand why it is so difficult for Gopro to give a clear explanation for that (technical reasons, whatever). Or at least give clear information beforehand about that 5 ghz wifi might not work with most of Android devices in Europe. Gopro, you just should not promote higher transfer speeds / a feature that is not fully usable! Deceptive advertising...

Tourist

Same here, GoPro Hero 6 with iPhone 7. When I connect the GoPro with the 5ghz, the iPhone tells me 'Wrong password'.

WTH Smiley Mad

Hiker

I installed the Gopro app on an Iphone 5S with iOS 11 and connected successfully to my Hero6 on 2.4 GHz. Switched the camera to 5 GHz and the Iphone 5S is unable to connect, the camera's wifi doesn't show up. Same thing on an Iphone 6 that I have here.This is as expected, since it would be illegal for the phones to connect anyway.

Hiker

It appears that the camera doesn't work with any phone on 5 GHz in Europe, even when attempting to operate it illegaly.

I have not received any further clarification/apology from Gopro on this key defect yet. Which is why I'll tro to summarize the situation here.

Gopro's stance on this appears to be:

1. Advertise an important new feature (5 GHz and much faster transfer speeds).
2. Charge a very high price for the new camera.
3. Make a very clumsy mistake in implementing that feature, making it impossible to use in large parts of the world. Had they just been paying a little more attention, this would have been very easy to avoid in the first place. And it is still most certainly very easy to fix with a simple software setting at this point.
4. Yet, in a very arrogant, rude and indifferent manner blame the customer, and very stubbornly refuse to fix this very simple issue.

If for some reason this is in fact not possible to fix in situ, then Gopro needs to very publicly apologize for their own incompetence. This camera, at this price, is not a toy. They should probably compensate the customers. Not BLAME the customers.

Gopro management needs to remove certain key people responsible for how this affair is being handled. This is extremely incompetent and beyond ridiculous at this point. Is the company breaking apart?