Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero6 Black 5 GHz wi-fi not working

Again, I’m not very well versed on all this, so here is my best attempt at trying to make sense of all this.
GoPro HERO cameras capable of transmitting 5 Ghz Wi-Fi transmit 18.9 mW so I'm confused by why when @duanem8 pointed out that GoPro is using channel 161, & except from being banned in Spain altogether it says it is banned in Japan & Europe to use equipment over 25mw, he was immediately rebuked by @twisted89 who wrote, "The channel is directly related to the power, channels 149 to 161 broadcast at 4000mW". The GoPro cameras are clearly not transmitting at 4000mW, but I did see on the FCC licensing for GoPro cameras reference to 4000mH, which lead to my question.
@epicbluff60517 explained that, "4000mW comes from the Ofcom (UK) regulations for Fixed Wireless Access", which appears to reference operation of wireless communication devices or systems used to connect two fixed locations (e.g., building to building or tower to building) with a radio or other wireless link, such as laser bridge. Usually, fixed wireless is part of a wireless LAN infrastructure. So I don't see how it's relevant to this discussion, or even why @twisted89 brought it up.
I'm sure there is some good information in this spaghetti mess of a post of good and misinformation, but the armchair engineering is ridiculous.
According to @bluejump5503 he I contacted the Swedish Post and Telecom Authority about channel 161. It is indeed outside of the allocated wi-fi band in Europe. However there may be a loophole: low-power devices of 25 mW e.i.r.p. are allowed on this frequency. But this is significantly less than the 1 W e.i.r.p. allowed on the proper wi-fi band. That's a difference of 16 dB. Since the HERO6 (and HERO7) are transmitting at 18.9 mW, it would seem that it is fine to use. However, he then goes on to say, “the Hero6 does not transmit with 25 mW on channel 161. It transmits closer to 1000 mW. This proves that the Hero6 is COMPLETELY ILLEGAL to use in any part of Europe (and Japan, Israel, Turkey, South Africa)”.
This is really baffling. Since electronic devices that transmit wireless signals must be certified, and because GoPro is obviously a major brand and one that is sold worldwide, are we to believe that ALL of these government agencies are just turning a blind eye to GoPro’s evil and nefarious illegal activities?
Of course @twisted89 would have us believe that, “it seems that you don't need a product to be officially tested to hold the CE mark (same as FCC but for Europe). You can actually just self approve yourself!”, which is, of course, not true. Without the proper FCC certification in place, your wireless product cannot be sold and marketed in the U.S..
In the United States, the FCC is the certifying body; in Canada, it’s Industry Canada (IC); in the European Union, testing is performed against the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) requirements for CE approval. Each country you wish to sell into will have similar, but also very different, certification and testing requirements.
For the FCC, FCC. Any product that is utilizing a wireless technology such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or Zigbee will fall under this category. For Product Certification, the testing required must be performed by an accredited laboratory and documentation is then supplied for review by a Telecommunication Certification Body (TCB), or, in some cases, the FCC itself. So right off the bat, @twisted89 is disseminating ignorant misinformation, which leads me to doubt anything he has posted as credibility is suspect.
FCC testing for Product Certification can be broken into two parts: General Emissions testing and Intentional Radiation testing. Virtually every electronic product needs to undergo General Emissions testing. These tests typically can be completed at a cost of $1,000 to $5,000 when performed by an accredited laboratory. For Intentional Radiation testing there are additional tests required to specifically evaluate a product’s wireless technology, and as a result it is generally more involved and complex than General Emissions testing. Depending on the technology and the frequency or frequencies the product operates at (2.4 GHz, e.g.), this testing typically costs on the order of $9,000 to $15,000. As of 2016 only FCC-recognized laboratories are allowed to administer such tests and submit the test data for FCC Product Certification.
Canada, has revised the exemption limits and requirements for specific absorption rate (SAR) testing. The testing and certification process the HERO6 and HERO7 cameras had to undergo is stricter than it was in the past. As a result, some products and technologies that were previously exempt from SAR testing will now require SAR testing in order to obtain IC certification. SAR testing is the test methodology used to quantify the rate or amount of RF energy absorbed by the human body.
And then we have reports from some users in Europe and other supposedly “forbidden” regions that report no issues connecting their particular phone with the HERO6/7 using the 5Ghz. According to @bluejump5503 this is, “completely irrelevant because 1: most people use other phones and 2: it's still illegal to operate even if you have such an (also illegal) Iphone”. And @twisted89 adds, “it's been proven multiple times that it is illegal to use this frequency in the vast majority of countries outside of the US, chances are even if you can connect using a Samsung or Apple you are breaking the law without holding a valid license”. So much illegal activity! You would think these governments could solve all of their budget problems by just issuing out fines to all those participating in these infractions!
@fireyhero02004 brought perhaps the only useful information that I could find in all of this nonsense, and that is starting with Android 7 it can block wi-fi bands in certain countries even if the phone is capable of working with the band. So perhaps there is a way to root the OS to allow for the use of 5gHz if you so desperately need it.
@mariustanya of GoPro informed the community in this post, “there are locations/countries that do not allow devices to emit a 5-GHz Wi-Fi band. There is a need to know from which country the camera is sourced from in order to determine the path forward.” This does seem to support the “Illegal” conspiracy being given, but unfortunately not everything the Moderators have or share is detailed or provide enough information to fully explain the situation. @aragon1006 shared, “We do our best to ensure that the GoPro App works on every device but this is nearly impossible due to the nature of the OS. Android is a fragmented operating system with a myriad of devices running different hardware and software specs. These inconsistencies make it extremely difficult to ensure that the app will work flawlessly on every device”.
Of course @twisted89 wants to be the wireless transmission police so his reply focuses again on the illegality, “NOTHING TO DO WITH THE APP OR ANDROID. It is due to the gopro 6 firmware using a 5ghz wifi channel that is illegal to use outside of the USA. It is by pure fluke that any phone even picks up this channel outside of the USA and any user doing so without first purchasing a license from their local government is BREAKING THE LAW”.
Regardless, the simple answer then seems to be, if you are unable to use 5gHz with your phone in your country, then unfortunately you will have to use 2.4gHz. Nothing is going to change, so stop bitching, return/sell the device if this is a deal breaker for you, and get on with your life.
Highlighted
Hiker

@lund30

Another user tested it
"To be clear: the Hero6 does not transmit with 25 mW on channel 161. It transmits closer to 1000 mW."

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero6-Black-5-GHz-wi-fi-not-working/td-p/66116/page/3#
Highlighted
Hiker

I am charging my Gopro right now and after that, i will test the output with my immersionRc RF-Power-meter i use to my Fpv gear when i bild quads and i wil post the result here..
Highlighted
Hiker

But you are right, this i not for Hero 7, but i Think the results are the same..