Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero6 Black 5 GHz wi-fi not working

It doesn't work with Galaxy S6 or LG Nexus 5X. It also doesn't work with the Linksys WUSB6100M nic.

These are all 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 5 GHz devices.

Highlighted
Nomad

It works great with my Note 8, but I'm not sure what channel/channels the GoPro is trying to use. I can look into it when I get home

and get back to you.

Highlighted
Nomad

Highlighted
Hiker

Good link, but doesn't help me with my OnePlus 5. :(

I wonder if GoPro read these forums?

I'm wondering if it's a regional setting...?

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Thanks but that's not the issue I'm having at all. My devices won't even list the Hero6 among wireless networks when it's set to 5 GHz, much less connect even briefly. I've already set my phone according to the link years ago when I got my Hero4 and first installed the app, and it works fine with the Hero4 and the Hero6 when they are set to 2.4 GHz. 

I need 5 GHz because: 

1. It was one of the things that made me pay for the Hero6. 

2. There is less interference on 5 GHz = faster/more reliable uploads. 

3. I really need all the transfer speed that I can get. 

I transfer about 2-4 clips on average, 30 seconds each and at full resolution, every day. When each transfer takes several minutes (and for some reason the Gopro app won't let me queue them, which means I have to sit around waiting and can't do much else for long periods of time), I'm sure you can see why the promised/advertised 2-3x faster transfer speeds of the Hero6 was a major part of the money I paid for the Hero6 to replace my Hero4. 

I haven't done careful tests yet, but I don't think I'm seeing the 2-3x faster transfer speeds on 2.4 GHz. I'm not sure, but I'll be doing direct comparisons this weekend. 

Which brings me to my last point of why I need 5 GHz: 

4. I paid for it. 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

I tried it with an Iphone 6 and and and Iphone 5S at work today and they would both list the Hero6 among available wireless networks when it was set to 5 GHz. So it shouldn't be a regional thing. 

Unfortunately, those macintosh phones don't seem to want to share information on what channel the Hero6 is on. And I can't seem to find any apps that will help me with this. I tried like 10 different apps, so it seems Apple just won't let developers create such apps. 

On Android, just do a search for "wifi analyzer" or similar, there are tons. And they will tell you lots of details. 

Highlighted
Tourist

My Hero 6 try to connect on: ch.:161, 5805MHz / 20-eeeC / ac

It looks like mobile devices follow regional regulatory rules unlike Hero 6.
In EMEA, it looks like we only accept channels up to 140 (5700 MHz).

Some links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_WLAN_channels
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/3200/software/wireless/3200WirelessConfigGuide/R...

Highlighted
Hiker

From what I can see channel 161 is limited to low power in Europe. Perhaps many Android phone makers have figured that this makes that channel useless for wifi, and thus removed it altogether. 

Why would Gopro randomly pick a channel that is only useful in the US? The information is available to anyone on wikipedia. 

Does this mean that each time I (or an American tourist) set my Gopro to 5 GHz (which it was set to by default from the factory), that it may be transmitting at illegal power levels on that frequency? And there's nothing I can do about it?