Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero6 Black 5 GHz wi-fi not working

[ Edited ]

When I have 5 GHz setting on my Hero 6... I can find the camera via the GoPro app and add it. 

So the camera is present in the app but I can't connect to the camera. The loading circle in the app just goes round and round in a infinte loop. Won't stop until you manually kill the app. 

And I have a Google Nexus 6P phone with the latest vanilla Android OS.

Highlighted
Hiker

alexgtr the Hero6 appears to make use of Bluetooth in conjunction with wifi, probably to save battery power when not actually transferring video etc. I'm thinking that your behavior is due to the app successfully communicating with the camera over bluetooth, but then failing to initiate the communication over wifi (when set to 5 GHz).

Highlighted
Hiker

Same problem here using S7 Edge ( European version )...5Ghz only for first setup, must be set to 2.4 to complete any sincronization process...not good

Highlighted
Hiker

Even if it does work with certain of the very latest Iphone models, that's still completely irrelevant because 1: most people use other phones and 2: it's still illegal to operate even if you have such an (also illegal) Iphone.

I looked at the list of 5 GHz wlan channels on wikipedia to try and find any reason at all for their choice of the obscure channel 161. It says that channels 36, 40, 44, 48 are available worldwide, but are limited to indoor use in Europe (it's not limited to indoor use in the US though, and so far their policy seems to be to ignore the rest of the world outside of the US anyway?). Perhaps they're thinking that the Hero6 may be used with wifi outdoors, and then they just forgot about this logic of worldwide homologation later on in development.

But in that case there are still lots of other channels available to choose from, that are all legal worldwide. These channels do require DFS support, but that should already be implemented in all standard off-the-shelf wifi chips (ie wouldn't require additional development effort).

Perhaps they're thinking that DFS in some circumstances might disrupt communications for a moment in case of interference (that's what DFS is for). Well yeah, but is that not a price worth paying compared to not working at all?

Besides, why not let the user choose where he's located then, in the same way that he is requested to choose PAL or NTSC; users in the US can have channel 161 or 36/40/44/48 (to avoid DFS), and the rest of the world can have the test of the legal spectrum with DFS. The camera even has a GPS receiver built in so this could be done completely automatically.

This is all completely baffling. The fact of the matter is that they have advertised something that by design will just not work for most users outside if the US, and for no apparent reason. This is really mediocre development work on their part.

I'm sorry to rant publicly about this, but so far Gopro support has been the extreme opposite to forthcoming in even considering forwarding this to the development team. Someone in charge needs to take care of this.

Highlighted
Hiker

I suggest you contact Paul like I did (see previous page), the more people that complain directly the more likely they're going to do something instead of argue with customers and pretend it never happened. 

Highlighted
Tourist

It feels like Paul don't have any mandate to bring issues like this to GoPros table. 

His focus is on denying the issue and rationalize away the issue from GoPro. Instead he is focusing on putting the blame on phone manufactures and other countries laws. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Well, if you have any one else to contact then I'm all ears.... So far it appears I'm the only one who's pushed it higher and he's the best contact we have.
Highlighted
Tourist

Not saying you shouldn't conatc him :) 

Just sharing my experience of him based on chatting with him on the FB group "GoPro Hero 5,6 Black Official". 

My experience is that people that argue so strong in wrong direction about an issue won't be very helpful because that will automatically mean that that person was "wrong" if there comes a fix in the future. :) 

Paul: If you read this I hope you don't think I'm criticising you as a person but your way of handling the whole sittuation. Hope you can forward this professionally to your development team to get this fixed.  = happy customers.