Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero6 Black 5 GHz wi-fi not working

[ Edited ]

I've done some preliminary testing of transfer speeds on 2.4 GHz. 30 second clips at high resolution to a Galaxy S6 Edge about 20 centimeters away.

Hero4: 2.17475 MB per second

Hero6: 3.43897 MB per second

That's only a 1.58131x improvement (compared to 2x-3x claimed). Is performance on 5 GHz closer to 2x-3x (4.4-6.5 MB per second)?

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

On my Note 8 it took 2 minutes 45 seconds to copy 1.14 GB using the GoPro app. Which i think works out too 7.0 - 7.4 MB a sec.

Screenshot_20171010-201601.jpg
Highlighted
Hiker

I contacted the Swedish Post and Telecom Authority about channel 161. It is indeed outside of the allocated wi-fi band in Europe. However there may be a loophole: low-power devices of 25 mW e.i.r.p. are allowed on this frequency. But this is significantly less than the 1 W e.i.r.p. allowed on the proper wi-fi band. That's a difference of 16 dB.

I found a utility for iOS that does show the channel number (and dBm): Apple's Airport Utility will do this if you enable it from a hidden menu.

Turns out my Hero6, bought at a major Swedish retailer in Sweden, is on 5 GHz channel 161.

But how much power is it actually putting out?

I put the Hero6 right next to a D-Link DIR-809 5 GHz wireless access point. I stepped some 6-7 meters away and restarted the Airport app. dBm ratings between the Hero6 and the D-Link were very similar.

I put the Hero6 right next to a Netgear CG3700EMR 5 GHz wireless access point. I stepped some 6-7 meters away and restarted the Airport app. dBm ratings between the Hero6 and the Netgear were very similar.

To be clear: the Hero6 does not transmit with 25 mW on channel 161. It transmits closer to 1000 mW.

This proves that the Hero6 is COMPLETELY ILLEGAL to use in any part of Europe (and Japan, Israel, Turkey, South Africa). This will likely cause interference to government, weather and military equipment/radars. It is not to be taken lightly. 

I should point out that my camera was actually set to transmit on this illegal frequency from the factory as bought in Europe. It was already set to 5 GHz as I received it, not 2.4 GHz. 

If GoPro would say "use 2.4 GHz" as some sort of solution to this, then they'll have to explain how I'm going to achieve the 2x-3x improved speeds. They didn't say this was only when in the US.

hero6 comparison.jpg
Highlighted
Explorer

Use 2.4 GHz 🤡
Highlighted
Tourist

Highlighted
Tourist

bluejump5503: That is some astonishing investigation you have done!
I bought a Hero 6 from USA a couple of days ago via a friend that was there and came home yesterday.
I live i Sweden as well. And when I tried to connect to the camera via GoPro app it just didn't work. And then I tried to switch
Highlighted
Tourist

bluejump5503: That is some astonishing investigation you have done!
I bought a Hero 6 from USA a couple of days ago via a friend that was there and came home yesterday.
I live in Sweden as well. And when I tried to connect to the camera via GoPro app it just didn't work. After a while of testing and deleting the camera and reconnecting to it i switched to 2.4 GHz and voila... I was really shocked about that. 

The funny thing is that the camera and phone got connected when I had 5 GHz setting on the camera but then the app just "hängde sig"... unable to connect. 

But that is maybe because the camera connects via bluetooth at first?

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Oh... and I have a Nexus 6P phone.