Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero6 Black 5 GHz wi-fi not working

[ New ]

I dont think so it has to do with the country that the go pro is for sale.

I purchased 2 go pro 6, one from the USA and one from Europe. Both of them worked on 2-3 samsung phones that I tried on 5Ghz and none of them worked on Lg (G6,V30), huawei (Mate 10 pro), Htc (u11) , OP 5T that i tried...

It seems it is a problem of the cell phones that support cerain frequences and a problem of GO Pro that support only few of them!!

Hiker

[ New ]

Still not working with LG G6 :-(

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya can you reply please instead of ignoring your customers and living up to the terrible gopro reputation we've all come to expect. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Same issue here with a brand new Hero 6
Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya Just going to keep asking until we get some progress...

Hiker

[ New ]

I just purchased a galaxy S9 plus from amazon.es european sim - italian version and it works perfectly!

It seems that go pro uses channels on 5ghz that only Samsung's and a few other phones can connect. IT may be a deal between the 2 companies (and some others) , who knows?

Tourist

[ New ]

Czech, Hero 6 + Samsung S7 -  5 GHz wi-fi not working. WHY?

Hiker

[ New ]

Because gopro doesn't care about their customers anymore. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Lithuania and not working with Huawei P20 Pro 5Ghz wi-fi, so bad... need warranty ? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @jumaxas

Sorry for any troubles caused. Have you tried connecting it via 2.5Ghz?

Are you getting any error message when you try to pair the camera?

Have you tried pairing the camera with a different mobile device?

Please go over the troubleshooting steps listed here.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 please read the thread in its entirety, this issue has been extensively discussed and analysed. It is a result of the bizarre decision to set the 5ghz wifi channel to 161, get your firmware team to fix this, no amount of 'troubleshooting' will fix this. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @twisted89

We do our best to ensure that the GoPro App works on every device but this is nearly impossible due to the nature of the OS. Android is a fragmented operating system with a myriad of devices running different hardware and software specs. These inconsistencies make it extremely difficult to ensure that the app will work flawlessly on every device.

That being said we are still committed to work on the overall improvement of our products and applications.

Regards,

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 I'm guessing you didn't bother to read through the thread then... Again, this issue has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE APP OR ANDROID. It is due to the gopro 6 firmware using a 5ghz wifi channel that is illegal to use outside of the USA.

It is by pure fluke that any phone even picks up this channel outside of the USA and any user doing so without first purchasing a license from their local government is BREAKING THE LAW.

"That being said we are still committed to work on the overall improvement of our products and applications." is laughable at this point, this thread and issue is nearly a year old and you've done nothing about it, the only thing you're 'committed too' is ignoring or blaming your customers for issues. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello everyone, I write from Italy and I am aware only now of this problem and I am disconcerted by what I read in this thread.

I confirm that I have the problem with a new GoPro Hero 6 (firmware update v02.01, February 27, 2018) and 2 smartphones (Google / LG Nexus 5 and Asus ZenFone 2, with Android 6.0.1 on both).

It's really incredible that this problem is about a year old and yet GoPro has not released an update to solve it!

You can not advertise a feature (and get it paid!) in some countries if you know that for sure in those countries it will not work!

Incredible, no words

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, i try with Huawei P20 Pro, Mate 10 and Samsung S8 5GHz not working, only 2.4Ghz all ok. Try Xiaomi 4k camera working perfect 5Ghz. 

p.s. I tried 2 different Gopro6 cameras and nothing... works only 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz not connect (not found wifi 5Ghz)

Tourist

[ New ]

Im not speake english - sorry.
Im old and sullen :-)

For GoPro.
Are you really so arrogant, incompetent or so in financial depression that you can not fix a trivial problem? In this is China, Russia and others better than you? And it's just because of your financial policy and arrogance towards clients! Being the best is great, but preserving this privilege must be a mission and honesty for business. Then these companies become legends. You will only be the one who is dear and temporarily the best and forgotten. ... but wealthy individuals. Congratulation.

...(GoPro studio (stopped), Quik (60second) and next)

Tourist

[ New ]
Guys, I finded way to fix this issue with 5ghz.

Phone is Sony xz2 compact, and in Russia in 5ghz also didn't worked - Android automatically blocking all 5ghz channels.

But! I installed Fake GPS app, started it like I'm in usa (+ did what was wtote at screen notice in app), then switched on GPS at phone, changed at my gopro to 5ghz settings and then started gopro app. Camera finded! All work.
Then I stopped fake GPS, and using real GPS - all works forever. Camera and phone still works after reboot at 5ghz. No need starting fake GPS anytime.

I used the same fixing for opening FCC mode 5ghz channels for my Mavic Air drone.

Peace to all!))))
Hiker

[ New ]

Hello Everyone.

So I contacted gopro support today to check if something is going on with this issue.

They just dont care about their users.
"Sell and forget" business type.

Here is the chat transcript:

Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:02:26 PM): My name is Robert Jake. How can I help you?
Me (8/8/2018, 6:02:31 PM): hi
Me (8/8/2018, 6:02:53 PM): have a question regarding 5ghz channel 161 on gopro 6 hero
Me (8/8/2018, 6:03:11 PM): this channel is not allowed for public usage in Europe
Me (8/8/2018, 6:03:27 PM): and my samsung s7 cannot connect to gopro6 using 5ghz wifi band
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:03:28 PM): Hello Valdimir.
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:03:39 PM): No worries, I can help you out.
Me (8/8/2018, 6:04:25 PM): so will there be some changes in gopro6 firmware to allow changing 5ghz band channel?
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:04:45 PM): Let me check on it.
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:06:35 PM): May I kn ow what is happening, when you are  changing 5GHZ?
Me (8/8/2018, 6:06:56 PM): changing where?
Me (8/8/2018, 6:07:24 PM): i cannot change it on gopro6
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:08:02 PM): Oh I see.
Me (8/8/2018, 6:08:13 PM): let me write again
Me (8/8/2018, 6:09:24 PM): gopro6 has 5ghz wifi band and uses channel 161 that is allowed to be used only in USA. I am in EU and my samsung s7 phone cannot use channel 161. so i have to use 2.4 wifi band to transfer files from camera
Me (8/8/2018, 6:09:28 PM): and that is very slow
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:09:34 PM): Where are you located?
Me (8/8/2018, 6:09:39 PM): Serbia
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:09:57 PM): Let me look into that for you, it may take me a few minutes.
Me (8/8/2018, 6:10:28 PM): what EU owners of gopro need is option in gopro6 to change wifi channel for 5ghz band
Me (8/8/2018, 6:10:43 PM): will that be possible on gopro and when?
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:10:59 PM): One  moment please.
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:20:52 PM): May I ask, what countrt is serbia near?
Me (8/8/2018, 6:21:16 PM): Hungary, Italy, Greece
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:22:21 PM): I can check that the countries that was near serbia is not yet accessible with Chanel 161
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:22:30 PM): https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specification...
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:22:49 PM): Here is the link for the channel that is available on the area?
Me (8/8/2018, 6:23:47 PM): channel 161 is not allowed on mobile phones sold in europe
Me (8/8/2018, 6:24:02 PM): and we cannot change channel on gopro camera
Me (8/8/2018, 6:24:26 PM): why would gopro use channel that is allowed for public use only in USA?!?!?!
Me (8/8/2018, 6:24:45 PM): and not have an option in camera to change that channel
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:24:54 PM): Let me look into that for you, it may take me a few minutes.
Me (8/8/2018, 6:26:55 PM): https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/5Ghz-WiFi-Channel-161-unusable-in-Europe/td-p/147400
Me (8/8/2018, 6:27:06 PM): link explains it all
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:28:48 PM): I totally understand it. however until the country that you has a ability to use the 5GHZ wifi band, then it can be use for changing it.
Me (8/8/2018, 6:28:59 PM): https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero6-Black-5-GHz-wi-fi-not-working/td-p/66116/page/15
Me (8/8/2018, 6:29:02 PM): and this one
Me (8/8/2018, 6:29:46 PM): :) cmon gopro you are international company with international users. not just USA persons use this camera
Me (8/8/2018, 6:30:01 PM): why not using channel that is allowed in entire world
Me (8/8/2018, 6:30:20 PM): there are many channels on 5ghz band that are allowed
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:30:26 PM): One moment please.
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:37:35 PM): That for waiting, we are aware of the issue on the country that do not have the access on the channel 161, however we are on it now, as other customers are having the same issues,  I would suggest that we will need to wait for the  channel  161 to be available on your country.
Me (8/8/2018, 6:38:27 PM): that will never happen.  
Me (8/8/2018, 6:38:42 PM): i spent 450$ on a camera that works just in USA :)
Me (8/8/2018, 6:39:00 PM): none of countries in Europe allow channel 161
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:39:17 PM): Do not worry, Vladimir, we are working on it now.
Me (8/8/2018, 6:39:38 PM): this issue was raised last year
Me (8/8/2018, 6:39:49 PM): by many gopro6 users in europe
Me (8/8/2018, 6:39:57 PM): and still no news from gopro
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:40:14 PM): We are aware of it, but we still checking for this issue.
Me (8/8/2018, 6:40:27 PM): transfering 4k videos over 2.4 wifi band is just impossible
Me (8/8/2018, 6:41:02 PM): can you give me an email of someone that i can contact and ask for more details about this issue?
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:42:10 PM): One moment please.
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:44:57 PM): Thank you for waiting.
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:47:44 PM): What I can do is to send this to our developer so that they can check and what they can do.
Me (8/8/2018, 6:47:55 PM): :)
Me (8/8/2018, 6:48:06 PM): lets do that
Me (8/8/2018, 6:48:37 PM): i will wait one week for reply and if no arrive will return gopro6 and ask for refund
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:49:09 PM): I will check on it.
Me (8/8/2018, 6:49:20 PM): bye
Robert Jake (8/8/2018, 6:49:39 PM): Alright then. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to GoPro today, it was a pleasure chatting with you. We're always here if you need help. Enjoy the rest of the day. Bye for now. Stay awesome and be a HERO!

Tourist

[ New ]
Just try how I wrote - with fake GPS app.
Hiker

[ New ]

I did and it did not work.

To enable channel 161 on my Samsung S7 I would have to root it.

Tourist

[ New ]

I was return two cameras for the service, not help services and retur cameras to seller with consumer rights help. I suspect that I can stop selling these cameras to a few countries, misleading information does not match reality..... need to write a petition that everyone knows that.

Hiker

[ New ]

It is just unbelievable that a gopro as international company uses wifi channel that is not supported in EU.

Whhhhyyyyy gopro??!?!? WHYYYYYY?!?!!?!?!

Tourist

[ New ]

xiaomi, sony, sjcam, canon, sony and more support :) only gopro not. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Just bought a new GoPro Hero 6 yesterday and I can't even find the menu option to enable 5GHz (CONNECTIONS > Wi-Fi Band), and the packaging and the printous in the battery slot say the camera is 5GHz compatible.

As many of us here, I live in Europe (Macedonia). In my country we have available the standard lower band channels available for use (36, 40, 44, 48).

The harware is capable of 5GHz operation on any 5GHz channel available, since the chip and the anntena(s) used are standard ones. So no hardware limitations are the cause of this.

I went from Yi 4k that has 5GHz to the Gopro Hero 6 that should have it but doesn't. This was supposed to be an upgrade for me, and it's not! Not to mention the price difference...

Adding the option to change our WiFi region is a must! For example, if someone from US comes in Europe he'll break the local regulatives for Wireless communications without the option to adjust the settings. Same goes from one to another European country, for example Greece and Bulgaria have different regulatives on channel use, the countries share a border and a lot of people travel between.

Gopro developers, please add an option to select our operating region and adequate channel for the camera to use! The users are beaking laws because of a missing drop down menu!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @kristijang53532

Where did you purchase the camera from?

HERO6 Black and Fusion (if purchased in an applicable region) has the option to select the Wi-Fi band (5GHz or 2.4GHz). 

We appreciate your suggestion regarding the region options. We'll have this forwarded to the team in charge.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

"We appreciate your suggestion and we'll have this forwarded to the team in charge."

In other words:

"We don't care about customers outside of the USA and will make sure no action is taken to resolve this."

You've already ignored this issue for a year, please don't insult us further by pretending you care in the slightest about helping us now. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @twisted89

I am sorry if you feel this way. Please let us know where this camera was purchased so we can verify further if this is supposed to have a Wi-Fi option of 5Ghz.

I have personally sent the feedback and will post back for updates.

Best Regards,

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

I can only assume you've got amnesia or something, have you forgotten the multiple conversations we've had in this thread already? 

Seriously, get your useless developers to allow EU users to use a LEGAL wifi channel or please stop talking as I'm pretty sure I could make more progress on this issue talking to a brick wall than going in circles with you.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi @aragon1006

I bought my camera from a local store, and the importer for our region (Balkan, Macedonia) is "Comtrade". It has a sister-company in Serbia with the same name that is the actuall importer.

Barcode: 818279022230
SKU# : CHDHX-601-FW

As additional note I'd like to add that even with the 2.4 GHz band you cannot use the camera from Europe to US because channels 12 and 13 are banned in US.

I have HAM radio licence that allows me to test radio eqipmnet. I can test firmwares for these regions without any legal issues untill we make it work. And I'm also Linux System Administrator, I'd be happy to provide extensive feedback if needed.

Thank your for your efforts!
Hiker

[ New ]
Same thing is for channel 161 in 5ghz band. It is forbidden for public usage in entire EU.
I wonder how it is alowed to sell gopro hero6 in EU?!?!

Gopro software division is probably some Indian low cost guy without a clue what he is doing.
I am dealing with software development for more than 10 years and I am sure that this fix would not take more than 1 day to implement.

Or this is some hardware limitation in wifi module and they are bound to channel 161.

Its a shame on gopro in both cases.
Hiker

[ New ]

Just wanted to add to this thread that the same issue is there on new GoPro Hero 7 Black.

I'm in the UK and mine only works on 2.5GHz

Am tempted to contact OfCom

Hiker

[ New ]

I think you should. This can no longer be brushed off as neglect  on GoPro's part.

Backpacker

[ New ]

i'm also in the UK & never had any problems connecting on 5GHz with either my Hero 6 or 7

Hiker

[ New ]

Unfortunately Ofcom only seem to deal with phone, internet services, TV or radio programmes. I'm not sure if they would be helpful with dealing with GoPro's faulty products. 

Citizens advice may be a better option https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issu...

Or trading standards https://www.tradingstandards.uk/

Hiker

[ New ]
Hey guys,

Few days ago I decided not to wait for this fix from gopro so I rooted my samsung s7 and unlocked all the channels on 5ghz band.
Also I made a simple app that downloads gopro media files and guess what!?!?!? I can now download 3gb video file without "transfer failed" message :)

Gopro have nice cameras but their software is just rubbish.
Tourist

[ New ]

Why can I use 5ghz on an iPhone 6s, X and Xr and not in Android.
Is Android the only one not breaking the law?
Why the f*** they don't allow to change the channel? 
Using 2.4 is like going back to 56kbps modems...

Come on guys, get out of the hole and do the things right

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same problem with my new Hero7 and Android. Wtf?

Hiker

[ New ]

Just tried my new OnePlus6T, bought directly from the OP website.

5ghz seems to be working on the Hero 6 Black!

That's me sorted!

GoPro

[ New ]

We appreciate you posting this @thxtex

Would be a great help for other users with the same phone model.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
How is that a great help? He posted that 1 android phone out of hundreds work with your broken hardware.

A real great help would be if you actually listened to your customers and fixed it but we all know that won't happen.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

where do you life?

What Sim card did you insert into the phone?

And what Language / Region did you select when setting up the phone?

Android normally switch off the high bands in 5GHZ in certain regions like the EU.

Not all firmwares seems to react the same and Iphones seem to not do it, but the most Android phones.

Thanks,

Stefan

Hiker

[ New ]

In order of asking...

The UK.

O2

English/UK?

Like I said, direct from the manuafacture. Not sure what would come from a network.

Tourist

[ New ]

Happy Christmas 2018. Still not fixed.

If you've found this thread looking for answers....

GoPro has chosen to use 5GHz Band C which is the higher power, higher frequency 5GHz band. Everyone in Europe uses Band A. You actually need a license in the UK for Band C. Downloading 4k footage over 2.4GHz wifi is not practical. The Passengers App won't work at all with 2.4GHz. 

Some Android devices have the hardware to do it but it is turned off in software. If you are prepared to root your phone, you can open all the channels your hardware will support.

New Apple devices seem to work out of the box. Some international Samsung models seem to work but not EU region locked ones. 

GoPro advertise 5GHz wifi as a feature in Europe even though no bugger can use it. GoPro first line support have no idea what you're talking about. They will ask you what country you are in. Whatever country you say, they will reply that, "5GHz is not available in Serbia". No-one knows why.

Hiker

[ New ]
My Samsung S8+ bought in Denmark-Europe works perfekt on 5GHz, with my Gopro Black 7.

So i Think you are not right...
Tourist

[ New ]

Nicely explained... https://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-5.htm

The US FCC version of 5GHz Band C is much lower powered as well. Looks more and more like they just didn't check whether the standards were different around the world and didn't test it outside the US.

Hiker

[ New ]
Instead of posting uninformed drive by comments try reading the entirety of this thread, there is more than enough evidence of this issue affecting the vast majority of phones outside the US and Gopro choosing to ignore the issue or blame it's customers for its faulty product.
Hiker

[ New ]

i have bought many cell phones this year, ,mate 10 pro, Lg v30, htc u11, s9,note9, note 9 and the conlusion is that 5GHZ on go pro works perfect with all samsungs flagships i tried. 

I live in Greece and i buy from European amazon stores, all of the phone are for european markets.

So i believe it is a deal between go pro and apple/samsung to work only on their phones. I cannot explain why they work perfect in europe that u say it is forbidden and we take no answer from go pro.

It is obvious the do not want to reveal something...

Tourist

[ New ]

So you can use the GoPro app? Can you download clips to a PC? 

It would be helpful if you downloaded an app like "wifi analyser" and shared what frequency band and channel you are connected to.

I think you will see you are using those high frequencies around 5.8GHz which no one in Europe uses. If your phone can do this, great!

Backpacker

[ New ]

as i've said before in this thread, but assume I was ignored because it didn't fit in with your theory. I'm in the UK & 5ghz works fine on my Hero 7, connects perfectly to my iPhone 5, 7 & Samsung A6 tablet

Hiker

[ New ]
It's not a theory when it's been proved what channel the gopro broadcasts on (161, feel free to check this yourself) and this channel is not allowed in the vast majority of countries outside the USA. Check your facts before you post.